Talk

Advanced search

to not let five-year-old child go on school trip into central London

(308 Posts)
Blueflowers2011 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:18:40

as title says, Year 1 (age 5 mostly) are going on a trip into London, which consists of 30 children and supervising adults travelling on 1 rail train, interchange to 1 underground tube train then a 20 min walk when they get to the other side to visit a shop.

A couple of parents are now saying they are not allowing their child to go which is also confirming my thoughts initially, which btw is mostly due to anything happening in London in general.

I have worked in London all my life and it's bad enough travelling on the tube everyday as an adult, let alone a 5 yr old child. Many parents also feel it's an unneccassary trip at this age just to visit a shop and how it works.

I encourage most things and experiences for my children but just feel this one is a bit too much for a 5 yr old. Am I worrying too much or should I just let them go?

teacher54321 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:20:18

My ds is 4 1/2 in reception and would LOVE this and would absolutely cope brilliantly with all of it. However he is very confident using trains and tubes and goes up to London frequently with either DH or myself to do things.

Willow33 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:21:19

They are only going to visit a shop? Which shop?

paxillin Mon 10-Oct-16 20:24:36

Let them go. They'll have a great time. What exactly are you afraid of? Term time, you can see school classes all the time, including really young ones.

poppopp Mon 10-Oct-16 20:25:11

Yeah what shop? I don't really see the big deal, presumably there'll be the right amount of staff to look after everyone. I bet he'll have a blast!

mycatstares Mon 10-Oct-16 20:25:28

Can you not go along as a helper?

Northernlurker Mon 10-Oct-16 20:26:24

You are worrying too much. There are five year olds in London btw. Lots of them.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Mon 10-Oct-16 20:26:40

Is there not a shop much closer that they can visit?

DrBronnersWorstNightmare Mon 10-Oct-16 20:26:43

Are they going to Hamley's? YABU, plenty of 5 year olds travel on the tube to get to school every day!

Elmindarina Mon 10-Oct-16 20:27:14

My DD went into central London on the tube 3 times when she was in reception, so 4 and 5 years old. I think you are worrying too much and they will be fine. They will make sure they take enough adults.

Floggingmolly Mon 10-Oct-16 20:28:22

They will be absolutely fine.

QueenLizIII Mon 10-Oct-16 20:28:59

I see parties of school children on tubes all the time.

Children do actually live in London all the time. How do you think they manage.

It is London, not Baghdad.

Nonotmenori Mon 10-Oct-16 20:31:06

Tough one. My DD is 5 and I wouldn't like the idea of it, but saying that, I don't think it's fair on her to exclude her because of my fears. I'd probably let her go and volunteer so that we both win.

HaPPy8 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:31:55

I wouldn't let mine go. Im a terrible worrier though.

HarrietVane99 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:32:39

I'd guess the object is not just to visit a shop but to give the children the experience of travelling by train and tube? And there'll be follow-up work back at school - discussion, writing, artwork.

(I loved travelling on the tube when I was small)

YesThisIsMe Mon 10-Oct-16 20:33:00

I commute at a time when the primary children are on their way back to school from day trips into central London, so I share a tube carriage with primary school trips all the time. They always seem absolutely fine. Sometimes boisterous, sometimes hilarious, often adorable, but I've never seen a single trip where I was remotely concerned about the teachers'/TAs' ability to keep their charges safe. I've never even seen a child crying which is very impressive after a long tiring day.

Lovepancakes Mon 10-Oct-16 20:33:37

Our DC go on school trips on the tube regularly in London in a group of 30 confused

Smartleatherbag Mon 10-Oct-16 20:34:02

I'd worry too, but I would let mine go as they'll be fine.

Chillyegg Mon 10-Oct-16 20:34:30

Er i work in a school.

That trip will be risk assessed to the very higheat level. Your kid will be very well supervised.....it is the staffs job to make surr the kids are safe.

IzzyIsBusy Mon 10-Oct-16 20:34:54

What is it you are worried about?

myownprivateidaho Mon 10-Oct-16 20:35:34

I don't get it, what are you afraid of? Terrorism?

Balletgirlmum Mon 10-Oct-16 20:35:58

The 20 minute walk might be a bit much for them. Not so much on the way there but on the way back.

I can't think of any significant shops that's 20 mins away from a tube???

Pootlebug Mon 10-Oct-16 20:36:37

My kids have been on overground train + tube trips since reception. They have had some great times. The occasional parent has stopped their kids going but most have been completely fine about it

sm40 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:36:48

If it's terrorism, more chance of dying in a car crash! And everyone still gets in the car.

Nataleejah Mon 10-Oct-16 20:37:01

YABVU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now