Talk

Advanced search

Trick or Treat?

(35 Posts)
MistressPage Mon 10-Oct-16 19:56:24

Ok this is a rather trivial Aibu but... have seen several posts on social media asking what day people are planning to trick or treat on this year as Halloween is a Monday. Aibu to think it's a bit cheeky and unreasonable to trick or treat any night other than Halloween itself, as it entails me putting out a lantern and being poised to answer the door with a big bowl of sweets. I love doing this on Halloween, but don't really want to devote three evenings to it. Am I an old misery?

AuntieStella Mon 10-Oct-16 20:09:09

I'll have treats on Hallowe'en itself.

And only Hallowe'en itself.

VanillaSugarandChristmasSpice Mon 10-Oct-16 20:12:37

Likewise - Halloween is Halloween and everybody knocking on my door at the weekend will be told to fuck right off. I hate Halloween. πŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ πŸ˜±πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ‘»

PoisonousSmurf Mon 10-Oct-16 20:14:00

There better not be any clowns!

dementedpixie Mon 10-Oct-16 20:16:10

I will only be giving sweets out on Monday as any other day is not Halloween

KC225 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:16:39

Hahaha poison. CLOWNS

M0nstersinthecl0set Mon 10-Oct-16 20:20:35

It's cheeky to trick or treat - so they've already burned that bridge I guess.

MistressPage Mon 10-Oct-16 20:34:49

Oh Christ I'd forgotten about the fucking clowns!

roseteapot101 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:48:50

i only put my pumpkin out on halloween and only give sweets on halloween.Asda do bags of fudge for 50p great cheap treats

Ginmakesitallok Mon 10-Oct-16 20:50:28

Guising folks - guising.

And only on halloween

BrianMolkoismyPlacebo Mon 10-Oct-16 20:54:08

Halloween only.
Funnily, I don't mind kids coming to our door. We live in a naice area and don't get the teens with a mask asking for money.
But I'ce never allowed dc to trick or treat. Granted, eldest is only 7.
We've moved recently and it seems really traditional in our village for people to trick or treat. I was thinking of giving it a go, mentioned it to 7yr old ds and he said he'd rather not knock on people's doors and ask for stuff hmm

DigestiveMuncher Mon 10-Oct-16 20:54:36

I'm not even doing Halloween this year not with all these dickhead clowns that are about. I won't even be leaving the house on Halloween at all!!
I'm so glad my DD is only 2 and doesn't really understand it or want to participate in it!!

I am absolutely terrified of clowns blush

Sparklingbrook Mon 10-Oct-16 21:06:41

One day only. The decorations go up for that day then that's it.

mawbroon Mon 10-Oct-16 21:08:39

Guising in our house. And only on Hallowe'en

BrianMolkoismyPlacebo Mon 10-Oct-16 21:09:46

Am I the only ine who wants to see a clown?!

VanillaSugarandChristmasSpice Mon 10-Oct-16 21:15:28

πŸ‘ΉπŸ‘ΏπŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒThat's the closest I can get to clowns!

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Mon 10-Oct-16 21:17:28

Only on the Monday (and I'm hugely into Halloween).

It is about time we had the smileys with the witches hats though.

FrancisCrawford Mon 10-Oct-16 21:20:26

Guiding here and only on the night.

DD ran into a bunch of those bloody clowns, brandishing real knives last night. I think half the town reported them cos the police got them soon after and have charged the idiots.

The80sweregreat Mon 10-Oct-16 21:20:46

The egg and flour thing a few years back was bad enough, this year could be the dreaded clowns springing up everywhere. I really hope not!
I normally buy a few treats however , last year only two people knocked.

MissKatieVictoria Mon 10-Oct-16 21:22:25

Round here we just get huge gangs of older teens who one or two put a mask on the others just normal clothes, and they expect money. I completely refuse to answer my door. It's lights off, curtains shut, scary movies in the dark and ignoring any knocks.

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Mon 10-Oct-16 21:27:39

On the night only.

ohmygodyouguys Mon 10-Oct-16 21:32:04

The word is guising.
I plan to be out walking the dog when they're going round the houses, not a fan of giving sweeties to kids I don't know. If I knew them or it was the neighbour's kids that would be OK.

BathshebaDarkstone Mon 10-Oct-16 21:34:02

We'll only be trick or treating on Halloween. YANBU.

MistressPage Mon 10-Oct-16 21:43:53

I think it's fine to call it either Guising or Trick-or-Treating depending on where you are geographically. No need to correct each other smile

BrianMolkoismyPlacebo Mon 10-Oct-16 21:46:49

misskatie I net the knocks freak you out when watching a horror film!

I wish I was in to horror films. Would love to be brave enough to wath one on halloween.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now