Talk

Advanced search

To not wear clean clothes everyday

(401 Posts)
Happyhippy45 Mon 10-Oct-16 16:47:03

Clothes are not "dirty," they don't smell and I don't want to wash them. I hang them up on a peg/chair to air and wear another couple of times over the course of the week.
DH doesn't understand this and thinks it's a bit minky.
Talking about tops, jeans etc......not pants and socks. Bras are a whole nother subject.

LeatherAndLace Mon 10-Oct-16 16:48:17

Yanbu. Does your dh really wash everything after one wear?!

Butterpuff Mon 10-Oct-16 16:50:30

I'm with you. Unless they are dirty, its been hot, I've had suncream on etc. they get used again the next day or later in the week.

Dh oddly puts work clothes (office nothing you would get dirty in) in the washing every night after one wear, but will wear jeans for a week and t-shirts for a few days at a time, not sure why they are different.

Happyhippy45 Mon 10-Oct-16 16:52:12

He'll wear jeans/trousers a couple of times. Everything else gets washed. He does the laundry now though.

Happyhippy45 Mon 10-Oct-16 16:53:44

butter that is a bit odd

JacquesHammer Mon 10-Oct-16 16:56:03

YANBU. I think its chronically wasteful to wash everything after one wear.

Pants/socks obviously get washed after each use. Vest tops (I always layer) usually after each but tees, jumpers, jeans certainly get more than one wear, especially in autumn/winter.

I do three loads of washing each week using that method (one for me, one for DD and towels)

donajimena Mon 10-Oct-16 16:56:33

I change undergarments daily. Close fitting tshirts too. Everything else gets a sniff test. Not for BO as I wouldn't wear something close fitting more than once cardigans etc check whether they have picked up cooking odours.

CremeEggThief Mon 10-Oct-16 16:59:52

YANBU, I aim to get 2 or 3 days wear out of everything except knickers, socks and tights. This is part of the reason I usually shower every other day, as I don't like putting worn clothes on after a shower. I often wonder if all the people who shower daily or even twice a day only wear clothes once before washing.

Happyhippy45 Mon 10-Oct-16 16:59:52

Jacques yeah I think it is so wasteful too. Waste of energy, both physical and resources......

BorpBorpBorp Mon 10-Oct-16 17:00:50

Pants/socks/t-shirts/vests/shirts are worn once for me before washing - DP can save her T-shirts sometimes but mine are usually too stinky.

For trousers and jumpers, if it's been worn outside (to town or to work) I don't then wear it around the house without washing it first, but I would save it to wear to work or whatever again a few times before washing. Clothes worn around the house are washed slightly less frequently.

user1474781546 Mon 10-Oct-16 17:24:24

I change underwear socks and T shirts every day. Jeans or trousers usually worn 3 or 4 days, ditto with sweatshirts, jumpers and cardigans. Coats and jackets are washed every month or so, but I have 4 or 5 different ones.

BowieFan Mon 10-Oct-16 17:26:12

Underwear, socks and t-shirts are clean every day. Jeans/trousers/skirts get a couple of day and jumpers can last a week or two.

usual Mon 10-Oct-16 17:27:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RiverTam Mon 10-Oct-16 17:29:14

Undies daily (not bras though), tops after a couple of wears, jeans/jumpers once a fortnight or so.

SaucyJack Mon 10-Oct-16 17:31:51

If the Good Lord had wanted me to change my clothes everyday, then he wouldn't have invented Febreze.

AndShesGone Mon 10-Oct-16 17:41:22

I change everything every day (I don't wear trousers)

I'm hormonal and think my clothes are sweaty and yucky by the end of the day.

squishee Mon 10-Oct-16 17:44:37

Yanbu. For outerwear I'm in the visual inspection and sniff test camp.
I think it depends quite a bit on upbringing and how high the "water rates" were when you were a kid.
"Oh no, that was clean on today!"

IneedAdinosaurNickname Mon 10-Oct-16 17:45:03

Trousers are worn 2-3 times. Bras... don't mention them.
Everything else is clean daily.

IneedAdinosaurNickname Mon 10-Oct-16 17:45:54

Oh except jumpers. I wear them a few times but normally only wear them outside I'm always too hot indoors.

InTheDessert Mon 10-Oct-16 17:54:11

Everything in the wash every night over the summer. If I'm meeting people in the evening, I'm likely to change my top.
But it's cooling down now - only predicted to be 37C max tomorrow, and I'm starting to get two wears out of shorts/ trousers.
So yes, I do lots of washing, but we all get very hot and sticky, and clothes smell after one wear. Sorry environment.

handslikecowstits Mon 10-Oct-16 17:57:31

Mine get a sniff test and it depends on what the garment is made of. Polyester - 1 wear, cotton - hmm depends.

Underwear gets changed every day.

Cacofonix Mon 10-Oct-16 18:06:54

Erghhh. Sorry but I think that's minging. I wash everything daily except jeans and cardigans (jeans last 3-4 days; cardigans similar but get the smell test. I wash at least once a day, occasionally twice. I think loads of people smell bad. Or look unwashed. But they don't notice it themselves. DH is Australian and they all think brits are mucky unwashed people. They call deodorant 'an English shower'. Don't get me started on the subject of wearing bras for days on end or not changing bedsheets weekly 'because I shower daily'. Yuk confused

Beardsareweird Mon 10-Oct-16 18:11:09

I wash everything after one wear, apart from cardigans.

eurochick Mon 10-Oct-16 18:15:00

Socks, pants and bras are changed every day, as are most tops. Loose sweaters will get a couple of wears. Outer layers and jeans get worn a few times. Tailored work stuff that needs dry cleaning gets worn for as long as I can get away with it!

Gabilan Mon 10-Oct-16 18:16:31

Underwear gets washed after one wear. Socks do in summer, might occasionally do 2 days in winter. Everything else gets a sniff/ visual inspection. (Bras usually every 2 days). I'm not that sweaty or smelly. Also, it really isn't good for the environment - not just the washing process but clothes wear out more quickly the more they're washed. If I lived somewhere hotter I'd revise that but Britain's not the tropics, so I don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now