Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have 2 Strep B tests?

(4 Posts)
objectsintherearviewmirror Mon 10-Oct-16 16:42:02

I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant with DS2, and have had 6 miscarriages since DS1 (who is almost 7). As a result, I am extremely anxious about every possible problem even though now far past the stages when I had the losses. I am planning to have the Strep B test privately but my understanding is that it's recommended at 35 weeks and then your result if negative 'covers' you for the next 5 weeks. My mind is now thinking that if I give birth after 40 weeks, I will be past the 5 weeks and so I feel that I should have another test (at perhaps 37 weeks) just in case. I thought about just leaving the test until 37 weeks but the midwife says this risks not getting results back in time. Having 2 tests therefore makes sense to me but the midwife looked at me as though I was completely ridiculous, as have a few friends. No one else I can find has had 2 tests so I'm thinking I'm being silly. AIBU to think that having 2 tests is a good idea or am I letting my anxiety get the better of me?
I'm not sure if this is a proper AIBU but posting for traffic and because I don't know where else to put it (first post!).

fairmac Mon 10-Oct-16 17:26:35

If you want to have a private strep B test then do it. My 8 week old daughter died of late onset strep B. Horrific. My next pregnancy was elective section due to daughter's death. As far as I'm concerned you can never be too careful. Good luck with everything x

StillCounting123 Mon 10-Oct-16 17:34:51

Have you had a look at some of the Group B strep websites? Some good advice and support there.

To be honest, I'd never heard of GBS until my 2nd pregnancy. Went into hospital at 23 weeks thinking I was leaking fluid. Tested and fluid levels fine, but they found GBS. Given tablet antibiotics during late pregnancy, then had a drip of antibiotics during labour. DD was fine, but stayed in hospital a few days to be monitored.

If you're paying and happy to pay it, then I think YANBU.

objectsintherearviewmirror Mon 10-Oct-16 17:46:12

fairmac I am so very sorry for your loss, I can't imagine how horrific that must have been.

Thank you both for the advice. My gut feeling was just to do it and be on the safe side, but you know when you start to doubt yourself. You've made me feel much more reasonable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now