Talk

Advanced search

Aldi packing rage

(66 Posts)
ElinoristhenewEnid Mon 10-Oct-16 14:58:47

*I am just imagining Aldi branching out into home delivery - Aldi style.

Your shopping would be catapulted at your house as the lorry hurtled past at breakneck speed. Eggs sliding down the door, tins bouncing off the cat*

Just saw this comment on an old thread - does anyone know if Aldi have started a home delivery service?

Am asking because I had my first Aldi rage this morning. Went shopping, loaded my goods back in trolley as per protocol and when I got to packing shelf, one shopper had unloaded entire trolley and lined up all the purchases along the shelf so there was no room for anyone else to pack.

Loads of muttering etc and eventually shopper repacked trolley very slowly, 2 items per bag. Fortunately I was able to sort my trolley without using the shelf (less than 20 items) but aibu to think shopper was being selfish by using the whole shelf? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 10-Oct-16 15:00:51

I never use the packing shelf. Professional Aldi shoppers don't, you knowwink

TheWitTank Mon 10-Oct-16 15:00:59

Never seen anyone do this! Yanbu.

c3pu Mon 10-Oct-16 15:01:43

I've never been to Aldi, but I've heard whispers of some kind of "packing area of shame" or something, where the checkout assistant inflicts some kind of ritual humiliation on the shoppers if they are too slow or something?

PickledCauliflower Mon 10-Oct-16 15:04:46

My local Morrisons seems to be a place to meet and chat at the checkout.
I don't mean an exchange of pleasantries, but full blown conversations where the checkout assistants stop scanning and chat.
I'm often stood there for ages, worrying if I've left the window down enough - with enough shade for my dog in the car.
I've abandoned my shopping and left on more that one occasion.

Aloethere Mon 10-Oct-16 15:04:55

I don't know if they are just less ruthless at my local aldi or if I am just used to it now but I never need to use the packing shelf. I rarely see anyone else do it either. Straight into bags in the trolley, I am not a meticulous packer though, every thing just gets chucked in together.

GinIceAndASlice Mon 10-Oct-16 15:06:47

I unpack the trolley directly into bags in the car boot.

Saves the faffing of packing bags, loading them back in the trolley and unloading them again.

rightsofwomen Mon 10-Oct-16 15:06:53

Never. I am able to pack my bags as my goods are scanned. They are in varying degrees of organisation based on how much time I had to load the belt and I do often have to pile a few things on top at the end .

Branleuse Mon 10-Oct-16 15:08:04

i pack them at the car

sunnycloudyraining Mon 10-Oct-16 15:08:56

Pack them at the car! Genius. Why have I never thought of this!! smile

dalmatianmad Mon 10-Oct-16 15:11:41

Forget the packing shelf, I chuck them in the bags as they get scanned..

Bellyrub1980 Mon 10-Oct-16 15:15:49

I don't even pack them in the car boot, just chuck it all in, go home and load it into a washing basket into the kitchen.

It's a bit of an arse ache though. I just never remember bags. Ever.

ElinoristhenewEnid Mon 10-Oct-16 15:16:47

love the idea of packing at the car - that would solve any further problems!

Obviously I am not a professional Aldi shopper - perhaps they should have a proficiency scheme where you could earn badges or points until you earn your gold star.
Ideas for proficiencies:
having your money or card ready before they finish scanning
loading belt correctly including making sure bottles are lying down (our local store goes ballistic if you stand bottles up on the belt)
completing transaction with ten or less words between you and the cashier
must be more!

forburylion Mon 10-Oct-16 15:20:02

Loose bananas placed strategically halfway on the conveyor belt slows them down as they have to count them.

We're Olympic aldi packers.

PopGoesTheWeaz Mon 10-Oct-16 15:23:40

They have an online ordering service for some of their seasonal aisle-of-wonder items, but not groceries.

shovetheholly Mon 10-Oct-16 15:24:27

Does anyone know if the trolley bags help? Or will my hopes and dreams of efficient packing be left in tatters after I spend £16 on them and discover they are useless?

MulberryBush12 Mon 10-Oct-16 15:24:34

I put 3 open blue ikea -style bags in my trolley after unloading shopping onto belt. Then throw everything into said bags at the cash desk. Never use the packing shelf.

NapQueen Mon 10-Oct-16 15:29:08

I'm a pack at car person.

Fill convertor belt, put trolley at the end, semi insert card into reader. Chuck scanned stuff into bag, push card in, pay, walk out.

3 ikea bags in boot - fridge, cupboards and last one is "freezer plus stuff from the crap aisles"

Topseyt Mon 10-Oct-16 15:32:39

I only go occasionally to Aldi. I will pack at the car though, having learned from experience that the packing shelf is not for me.

RhodaBorrocks Mon 10-Oct-16 15:34:04

Put your stuff on the belt the way you want it to go into your bags and get your bags ready in the trolley. It also helps if you have a cooperative DC or two. Occasionally the cashier will intentionally fuck things up try to keep you on your toes by reaching over items in one bag group and take something from the next one, but when this has happened once or twice you can mentally prepare for it.

I haven't used the bagging area of shame in ages. grin

magicstar1 Mon 10-Oct-16 15:36:22

You need trolley bags.....best thing ever!!!

www.trolleybags.ie

We actually bought ours in Aldi a few years ago, and we have a whole trolley packed quicker than putting them back into the trolley for repacking.

LaContessaDiPlumpOnSea Mon 10-Oct-16 15:36:27

You're meant to pack your stuff at that shelf?

AHHHH. NOW I understand Aldi! I thought it was just a brutally fast packing zone which broke the weak and shamed the overconfident grin

sarahsarah76 Mon 10-Oct-16 15:49:59

I make people wait for me to finish packing my bags and I just won't move because supermarkets are the most stressful place ever.

Verbena37 Mon 10-Oct-16 15:50:17

Lidl shopper here and lived in Germany where packing at the till was not done!
So if it was raining I would use the packing shelf but if not raining, I used to keep boxes I need the car boot and would just load trolley ino them once at the car. Easy least and it meant I could strap DD or DS into their car seats with a snack rather than have a screaming dc at the packing shelf.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 10-Oct-16 15:51:57

I am a pack at the shelf slowly person. this is where the radiators are and I like to get defrosted after the school run grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now