Advanced search

To think the benefit cap is going to plunge families into poverty

(1004 Posts)
Firsttheworst Mon 10-Oct-16 13:02:44

Next month the benefit cap comes in. It sets out the maximum that can be claimed in a week across all benefits. This doesn't include disability or wtc. Its aimed purely at women (mostly) claiming income support. You can only claim income support if you have a child under 5 and don't work.

The benefit cap is in the government owns words designed to get IS claimants out to work. The cap is currently £500 and will be reduced to £384 a week.

This includes, housing benefit, CT benefit, tax credits, income support. So all in total cannot be more than £384 a week. Over a 30 day month that comes to £1645.

From that £1645 I need to pay

rent £900 a month (no I can't move, its impossible to rent on benefits as it is, not giving this house up and its below market rent as it is)

CT - £60 a month

Electricity £80

Oil £80

Diesel £ 120 (rural don't drive anywhere other than school runs and supermarket/town once or twice a week)

Car insurance £49

Car tax £19.99

Phone/internet £40 (thats a basic mobile and broadband)

House insurance £13

TV licence £11

That leaves 272 a month to pay for food, clothes, car breakdown, school trips, birthdays, miscellaneous and god knows what else. For one adult and 3 children.

AIBU to think that the government have just decided that if they starve us out for long enough we'll be forced to go out and find a job? Like I said rural area so jobs are rarer than hens teeth and believe me i'm looking. It is pure discrimination against single mothers with small children (i doubt many men claim income support)

Firsttheworst Mon 10-Oct-16 13:04:49

What happens if i can't find a job. I can't see how I can survive on that without the kids shoes falling off their feet and cutting the food budget from the 60 it is at the moment to the 30/40 i'm going to need it to be to survive

Idliketobeabutterfly Mon 10-Oct-16 13:06:15

So just under what my hubby earns after tax for working 48 hrs over eight days?

Gowgirl Mon 10-Oct-16 13:08:53

Are you on the ha list op? Its just that your rent seems really high. Other than that I have nothing to offer bur sympathy having done the rural/school hour job hunt I know its harder than many make it out to be to find work.

Idliketobeabutterfly Mon 10-Oct-16 13:09:03

and over what some people who work full time are getting?

RoseGoldHippie Mon 10-Oct-16 13:09:15


TheHiphopopotamus Mon 10-Oct-16 13:10:01

Do you get any child support from your dc's father/s?

Tbh, I think that's a fair amount of money for someone without a job (and I know I'll get flamed for that, but meh!)

KayTee87 Mon 10-Oct-16 13:10:05

Yabu - it's more than some people earn. £500 per week in my opinion is a ludicrous amount for someone to get in benefits.

AllBraines Mon 10-Oct-16 13:10:08

Or what I earn for working 48 hours a week?

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Mon 10-Oct-16 13:10:12

butterfly it's not a competition you know confused

OP YANBU, it's horrible and I really feel for you.

SatansLittleHelper2 Mon 10-Oct-16 13:10:27

I don't agree with the cap on principle but expecting the state to pick up a £900 a month rent bill is ridiculous, you'll have to move. The same as some people have to move to find work and the same way some people live in cheap areas, not because they want to but because it's all they can afford.

I live in a cheap house in a cheap area because we are a low wage family, it's just the way it is sometimes i'm afraid.

Purplebluebird Mon 10-Oct-16 13:11:20

That's more than what my other half earns! About £400 more grin
I can't work because childcare cost more than my wage, and we can't move to a cheaper place because we're already at the cheapest we could find. Yanbu and yabu at the same time, and it absolutely sucks. Realistically it's a decent amount considering you don't work, but at the same time it's not enough, and if you worked you would have to earn more than that for it to be worth your time. This country's system is broken.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Mon 10-Oct-16 13:12:05

What's CT?

I have no advice but your rent does seem high for a rural area where there are no jobs.

SaucyJack Mon 10-Oct-16 13:12:16

You'll just have to move to a small flat somewhere else. That's just what we all have to do when we can't afford to rent a house in the area of our choice.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 10-Oct-16 13:13:12

Your rent, utilities, insurance and car tax are all really expensive.

It's not fair or sustainable to expect to receive enough benefits to provide a lifestyle that many working people cannot afford.

You say you can't move, but may be the answer would be for you to receive one off help to move somewhere where you can live more cheaply and have a better chance of finding work?

DiegeticMuch Mon 10-Oct-16 13:13:15

It's a popular (with voters) policy that won't be reversed.

I agree that it's tough on rural dwellers where jobs are scarce and cars a necessity.

The children's father, assuming he's still living, must be made to contribute. He can't abdicate his responsibilities.

abbsismyhero Mon 10-Oct-16 13:13:18

Its a huge drop and it is difficult for single parents to get even part time work as employer's don't want to hire people with no back up if a child gets sick they have to leave no calling in a husband to help its putting single parents and carers at a massive disadvantage I struggle to find a remotely suitable job for myself in doing everything I can but no one wants me to work for the them due to my apparent inflexibility or they are unsuitable hours

AndNowItsSeven Mon 10-Oct-16 13:15:12

Yes butterfly nice to see a supportive poster understanding it's much harder for the op as a lone parent.
Btw how much do you receive in tax credits?

abbsismyhero Mon 10-Oct-16 13:15:15

And yes the childrens father can abdicate responsibility by claiming ESA which is not touched for child support

QueenOfThePhone Mon 10-Oct-16 13:15:32

Do you get maintenance for your children from their father?

Comejointhemurder Mon 10-Oct-16 13:15:42

Nearly £1700 per month is a good income.

mollie123 Mon 10-Oct-16 13:16:12

YABU - you will have to give up the expensive rental - even if you don't like moving from where you are. Others have to.

Stopyourhavering Mon 10-Oct-16 13:16:21

More than I earn in a month as a health care professional!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 10-Oct-16 13:16:32

It is pure discrimination against single mothers with small children.

While I sympathise, where is your children's father in all of this? You may be single, but your children presumably have two parents.

Evergreen17 Mon 10-Oct-16 13:16:50

OP I dont want to be mean but I am pregnant, work full time, live in the country side and earn less than that.
When I have the baby it will be only DH's salary which again is less than that.

This thread is not accepting new messages.