Talk

Advanced search

to want compensation? and how much?

(19 Posts)
lill72 Mon 10-Oct-16 12:57:59

I have had a table delivery nightmare. Had first table delivered - it is marble. A bit of if was cracked. So they offered to replace. This is when it turned into a nightmare as a new table got delivered, but they didn't arrange a pick up of the old one for ages. So we had one waiting to be assembled in box and one up. Not good when little ones are around. Anyway the old one finally got picked up and we took the new one out of the box and it was slightly different (supposed to be the same table but from a different supplier. the actual table is fine but the base looks far from perfect - cracks and chips in the base and paintwork missing. I've asked for compensation - but how much do I deserve for a base that doesn't look too good. most of the damage is not seen on first glance as it is more underneath the table. But still i was paying for a new table.
Any suggestions most appreciated! This sags has been going on for months!!!

IceBeing Mon 10-Oct-16 13:00:40

I think I would send it back and get a refund...then buy something more practical instead?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 10-Oct-16 13:12:58

I think the most you can hope for is a 10% refund as goodwill. You accepted a delivery and didn't check it - you should have checked the item and rejected it.

You could go down the 'this is clearly not the same item' route but again I'm not sure where you stand as you accepted the newer table.

lill72 Mon 10-Oct-16 13:32:15

Felicia - I had no way of checking it as it was boxed up and I could not check until i unpacked it. They were fully aware of this. I marked unchecked. As the took ages to pick up the old one, they know it is not my fault.

Sorry I should mention that they have offered compensation and asked me how much???!!! This has been a drama from beginning to end. Dont talk to me about the two deliveries!!!

GettingMuckyFingersCrossed Mon 10-Oct-16 13:39:04

How much was it ?
How long until they took the old table away ?
Personally I'd send it back , I want to get what I ordered

lill72 Mon 10-Oct-16 13:44:19

I can send it back but they have been discontinued so i can't get it. The deliveries were such a palava as I had to have 2 men (DH and someone else ) on standby and it was really really hard to get in the house.

The pick up of the old one took almost 2 months. While they looked for a delivery company that did not cost a bomb. that is too long.

price was £699

BreadPitt Mon 10-Oct-16 14:22:26

can you quantify your loss?

user1474907171 Mon 10-Oct-16 14:35:11

Can you live with it, knowing it is not perfect, and look at it daily whilst being reminded of the annoyance of actually getting a second faulty table? If you bought it in a sale at a reduced price due to damage, what would you be prepared to pay?

If I bought a brand new item I would want it to be undamaged so would be sending it back. You might find something you like more in a little while and be stuck with the damaged one.

hellsbellsmelons Mon 10-Oct-16 15:26:13

Do you want to keep it when it's not what you ordered or in good condition?
I would be expecting 50% discount for this or they come and get it.

ZuleikaDobson Mon 10-Oct-16 15:32:28

Can you get the defects repaired? If so, your compensation is what the cost of that would be, plus maybe a bit more for inconvenience.

lill72 Mon 10-Oct-16 15:58:52

Such a palava to get it. No way to replace this exact one as it has been discontinued. I really like it and wont find another at this price. Probably for a reason you say! But I can live with the damage as i cant see it. mostly underneath. therefore compensation is ok

Quantify the loss. Well if you say that the base is pretty much damaged. you'd say the base was about a quarter of the whole table? I also have had to go through an ordeal to get a second table. I dunno... any thoughts?

hellsbellsmelons Mon 10-Oct-16 16:06:28

They asked so start at 50% and compromise from there!

GettingMuckyFingersCrossed Mon 10-Oct-16 16:16:42

I'd still send it back

If I'm forking out that sort of money I'd want exactly what I ordered

lill72 Mon 10-Oct-16 16:33:27

Getting mucky - I hear you. I just really like this table an am not going to find another near the price. If I can get compensation - then it will be ok. If the top of the table was damaged as the first one was, then I would for sure return. The damage you cannot see unless you look under the table.

Hellsbells - good plan! The thing is, if they tried to resell with this damage, they would prob only get 50% of what I paid anyway.

GettingMuckyFingersCrossed Mon 10-Oct-16 16:37:45

Go for 75% then you can negotiate . If you get that , you've got a bargain
Or be cheeky and ask for more , they won't want the expense of picking it up again grin

Wrinklytights Mon 10-Oct-16 16:40:24

Are you sure you want a marble table with DC around? My SIL slipped and smashed her face on a marble coffee table. I wont go into details because it still makes me shuddet, but it was horrific!

lill72 Mon 10-Oct-16 18:57:29

Zuelika - you could touch up the damage but don't think it would look like new. As this is the second table I have got from them (sent back first one as damaged marble) I dont want to send this one back as i have not been able to find another like it for this size and price. plus go through the palava of having to take it apart.

With the first one, I was inconvenienced for a long time - even though they said it would be no inconvenience to me. If I can get compensation for this - then i will have got a table at a good price. and i'd be happy. Thanks am going to go for at least 50% as I don't think they could sell it for half. They get these things from China I know it and the quality control is terrible

lill72 Mon 10-Oct-16 18:58:22

Thats true mucky - they wont want to pick it up again. It costs a bomb to transport marble

lill72 Mon 10-Oct-16 19:15:08

Wrinkly I am sorry to hear about your SIL. We have had it for a few months now and I have been very conscious to tell them not to be silly near the table. so far no problems. I was concerned too but i just try to be careful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now