To think room rate should be as advertised

(4 Posts)
Backt0Black Sun 09-Oct-16 19:53:10

Fuming. Booked a 2 bed apartment stay in London with a very large / possibly largest web hotel booking site.

Advertised room rate was £280. Charged £330!!!

Advised I have been charged a room cleaning fee - assumed this was an error as I was a lone traveller and no party as pregnant! (2 bed apartment was last apartment available ... Obviously only slept in one bed and used one bathroom and left the place immaculate)

Queried with customer service and told this is a standard fee and charged on every stay! Asked why it is not included in the headline per night rate, or in the total amount pre booking or at confirmation. Advised is in T&C's specific to this property. Checked after much clicking and expanding various drop down URL's ... And it's there under 'deposits, bonds and damages'. To me this reads like its a cleaning fee should the apartment be damaged etc

AIBU to expect that if this fee is mandatory for all bookings it should be displayed in the per night, or total amount at booking?

RaeSkywalker Sun 09-Oct-16 19:59:54

We had this over the summer, also through a well-known website, for a 1 bed apartment. The fee was £20, and I did see it before I booked, but am as baffled as you- it's a standard charge, not "if you're really messy", so therefore it should be included in the room cost.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Sun 09-Oct-16 20:02:23

Take it up with trading standards as 'unfair terms and conditions'.

Backt0Black Sun 09-Oct-16 20:06:48

Thanks both of you. I just think what next ... A charge for using the water?

Jut seems like utter misrepresentation and makes it impossible to make a comparison. Which is the point of this particular website. Grrrrrr angryangry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now