Advanced search

Aibu not to hire a bouncy castle

(39 Posts)
Thefishewife Sun 09-Oct-16 09:57:33

Having my daughters party and want to spend as little as possible

Manged to get all the party but cups Ect for 25p wilko are having a sale 😬

The hall will be £35 for 2.5 hours
and a bouncy castle would be £50
Wondering weather I should bother the hall has a toddle group that I attend and said I can use all the diddy cars and scooters for free

So I was thinking nit to get a bouncy castle

I have made a photo booth they put there head in and parents cantankerous a photo and was also thinking of doing traditional games like bob for apples Ect and dh came up with a fab idea of buying temporary kids tattoos I can get 50 for £2 and he will dress up as a deck and and put them in the kids like a tatto parlour.

My sister thinks I am being a bit tight not having a bouncy castle and the kids will be board

Thefishewife Sun 09-Oct-16 10:01:04

Sorry my spelling is just 😳

Having my daughters party and want to spend as little as possible

Manged to get all the party bits Like cups Ect for 25p wilko are having a sale 😬

The hall will be £35 for 2.5 hours
and a bouncy castle would be £50
Wondering weather I should bother the hall has a toddler group that I attend and said I can use all the diddy cars and scooters for free

So I was thinking not to get a bouncy castle

I have made a photo booth they can put there heads in and parents can take a photo and was also thinking of doing traditional games like bob for apples Ect and dh came up with a fab idea of buying temporary kids tattoos I can get 50 for £2 and he will dress up as a deck and put them on the kids like a tatto parlour.

My sister thinks I am being a bit tight not having a bouncy castle and the kids will be board

harderandharder2breathe Sun 09-Oct-16 10:02:13

Yanbu ignore your sister

BigGreenOlives Sun 09-Oct-16 10:23:28

How old is your daughter? Temporary tattoos take much longer to apply than you'd think. By the way it's etc, et ceteras from the Latin, no need to give it a capital.

petitfromage Sun 09-Oct-16 10:31:13

It's also bored not board grin

Mishaps Sun 09-Oct-16 10:31:33

Heavens above - don't start correcting all the spelling and other grammar mistakes on Mumsnet - you could find yourself doing nothing else!

Let us just take it that we understand what is being said even if the grammar etc. is not perfect.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Sun 09-Oct-16 10:35:42

Ask her to pay for the bouncy castle as her present to your child?? grin

SendARavenToRiverRun Sun 09-Oct-16 10:37:43

Why the need to correct the OP? It's perfectly readable.
Your sister is wrong, I think. The party sounds lovely. Agreed about the temp tattoos taking ages though, been there done that!
Lots of sweets. Lots of games with sweet prizes good music and you'll be fine
How old will she be?

Notso Sun 09-Oct-16 10:40:06

How old are the children and how many are there?

I love the parents cantankerous typo btw grin

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sun 09-Oct-16 10:47:14

Bouncy Castles are the cop out option for people who don't wnat to organise games!

If you give them some fun things to do it will be fine.

I did a party for my 4 year old recently.

I did free play for the first 40 mins (you have the toddler group toys so ideal! I also put loads of balloons on the floor to make it seem special- but one kid did get very scared of the popping!), then a sit down tea, then a few organised games. That was fine for them.

Thefishewife Sun 09-Oct-16 10:47:28

My daughter is going to be 4

milkshakeandmonstermunch Sun 09-Oct-16 10:49:44

Your party sounds lovely! Party food and games are all a party needs. Toss in a cd player and some balloons to kick around and it is perfect.

Nousernameforme Sun 09-Oct-16 10:52:28

many many balloons and music maybe a bubble machine musical statues and bumps and a pass the parcel.
I always get a bit wary of bouncy castles there are so many things that could go wrong with them

Biking007 Sun 09-Oct-16 10:53:30

Just do a music play list of the action songs they love that "hamburger, cheeseburger, lettuce & tomato", "superman"..locomotion dance round the hall, musical statues n bumps, no need for bouncy castle, lots sweets as prizes a lot cheaper and they have more fun, as lots get bored after 15-20mins of bouncy castle! Face paint if u can get a couple of mums or teenagers do simple 1-2min butterfly on cheektype thing. You be fine.

Thefishewife Sun 09-Oct-16 10:55:18

poster unlimiteddilutingjuice

Thanks

Just have to be brave she is four so can follow that games

Any suggestions for pirate style games

Like I said I have the photo booth
And the play group toys

It's 2.5 hours 😳🙁😁

FREE PLAY FOR AN HOUR ?
while I get the food ready
I am bringing my slow cooker and will chuck hot dogs in at the start of it all
THEN GAMES FOR HALF AN HOUR
THEN HALF AN HOUR FOR FOOD
THEN A SEA SHANTY OR TWO

Nousernameforme Sun 09-Oct-16 10:59:38

oo yes there is a good one where they have to run to the sides of the rooms depending on whether you call out port starboard etc scrub the decks they pretend to scrub the floor climb the rigging get up off the floor man the life boats get in to groups of 6 captains coming they salute etc etc i think it is called pirate ship in fact.
The tempory tatts i would pop in the party bags to go home with

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sun 09-Oct-16 11:00:04

What is your DH going to dress up as?

Thefishewife Sun 09-Oct-16 11:00:08

Dh has agreed to dresss up as a deck hand lol

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sun 09-Oct-16 11:00:59

"FREE PLAY FOR AN HOUR ?
while I get the food ready
I am bringing my slow cooker and will chuck hot dogs in at the start of it all
THEN GAMES FOR HALF AN HOUR
THEN HALF AN HOUR FOR FOOD
THEN A SEA SHANTY OR TWO"

Sounds fine. Love the idea of Sea Shanties.

How about tug of war for a pirate game?
Or- could they hunt for hidden treasure?

BusStopBetty Sun 09-Oct-16 11:03:07

I wouldn't bother. They can play with the toys & balloons for the first 15 to 30 mins as everyone arrives. Then party games for 30 mins. Food for 30 mins - bring the sweet stuff out after so they actually eat some sandwiches etc. Mini disco and games to end. Buy some glow sticks from Poundland and turn the lights down. And those light up balloons.

If you do pass the parcel have two parcels going at the same time if it's a big group. Or have two groups.

Soubriquet Sun 09-Oct-16 11:04:25

What about this game we played recently

You have 6 different pictures on the floor. Make them pirate themed if you want to

You play some music everyone dances. Music stops they have to go and pick a picture and stand there.

Roll a dice with the pictures on them (make a large one out of a cardboard box so everyone can see it). Whatever the dice lands on, that picture is out. Keep going until one person is left

nancy75 Sun 09-Oct-16 11:04:57

Free play for an hour might be a bit long, get a few of those songs that they can do a dance to (cha cha slide type songs) get them all together and get them dancing!

imnotreally Sun 09-Oct-16 11:17:07

You don't need a bouncy castle.

Hotbot Sun 09-Oct-16 12:04:19

I did hide and seek at the end but with picture clues , went down very well As the party bags were the prize , so everyone got something

NynaevesSister Sun 09-Oct-16 12:26:17

At 4 years old they will have a blast running around in a big circle in the huge empty hall with their friends. The fact that you have cars (scooters?) and other things to play with us more than enough. I would suggest getting gigantic inflatable beach balls. Maybe four really big ones (or more if lots of kids). There will be a stack of kids who will just want to chase them and push them around the room.

They will be unbeliveably happy.

Have a wee corner with some rafts or drawing for the kids who find it too much.

Put a table in the corner with wine and nibbles for the grown ups that stay.

Let the kids go feral in the huge hall with no one to try and organise their fun, then throw lots of party food and cake at them. They will talk about this as the best party ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now