Talk

Advanced search

To think that my mother can park in a disabled space?

(154 Posts)
LobsterQuadrille Sun 09-Oct-16 09:13:45

Background: my father is 92 and (thankfully) no longer drives but has a disabled parking ticket from the last couple of years of driving. He is up and down with physical health and finds walking difficult. My DM is 86 but pretty fit and active and does everything, going into town every day etc. If he is OK to walk a short distance, he will go with her but otherwise, he stays at home.

My DM is very reluctant to leave him, partly because the last time I took her for a day out to London, he had a terrible accident which could have been much worse. If he's not feeling too good, she will make a mad dash around the shops and get back to him - on these occasions she will not use a disabled space. Yesterday she and I went into town (she drove) for specific things for him, which she ended up not getting because it was a Saturday and there were no spaces other than disabled ones. She would not park in these because the disabled ticket has his name on it, so he ended up doing without as she was too concerned to leave him for too long.

I know that parking spaces are often discussed on here and I am prepared to be told that IABU for telling her that on this occasion it was OK (she didn't anyway, but this will happen again) - and I genuinely don't know the protocol.

greenfolder Sun 09-Oct-16 09:15:03

It's wrong and she could have been fined.

Spookybitch Sun 09-Oct-16 09:15:21

If she's not disabled, and he's not with her, then no, she shouldn't be using a disabled space.

Squeegle Sun 09-Oct-16 09:15:30

I think she only can if he is with her. It seems hard but otherwise they're open to abuse.

neonrainbow Sun 09-Oct-16 09:15:31

If she didn't have a blue badge and the blue badge holder is not in the car she should not be using the disabled spaces.

AtSea1979 Sun 09-Oct-16 09:15:47

I think if she's buying things for him she's ok.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 09-Oct-16 09:16:34

it's against the rules of the blue badge and if you are caught using the Blue badge in this way it can be taken off of you.

YANBU but you still can't do it

MakeMyWineADouble Sun 09-Oct-16 09:17:22

She's right officially she can only use the disabled badge/Space when your DF is with her! At least that's how it was when my granddad had one

LobsterQuadrille Sun 09-Oct-16 09:17:26

OK, I was prepared that I was BU. It's very hard then - if he's unable to get into the car, he has to do without. I work full-time and don't drive, otherwise I would be able to do more.

Fayrazzled Sun 09-Oct-16 09:17:49

The blue badge parking scheme only applies to on-street parking; parking in car parks (even council ones) are governed by their own rules.

All the info is here: www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/443225/blue-badge-rights-responsibilities.PDF

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 09-Oct-16 09:17:51

If the blue badge is in your father's name then she can't park in a disabled space unless he is with her.

I know how hard it is though as my mum couldn't leave dad for long and any delays meant she had to either rush around or go home without doing everything she needed to.

JellyTipisthebest Sun 09-Oct-16 09:18:02

You are only allowed to use it when the person is with you and is getting out of the car. Using it the way you describe if caught could result in a fine or it being taken away.

Could she get one herself

Ledkr Sun 09-Oct-16 09:18:12

Well if we all worked on that principle (that we have to get back to care for someone) then there would be no spaces left for actual disabled people so yes yabu

MorrisZapp Sun 09-Oct-16 09:18:14

The principle seems logical enough - person with blue badge needs to eat, only option for that is for non bb spouse to dash to shops.

But the law is clear. You know she shouldn't do it.

GrumpyInsomniac Sun 09-Oct-16 09:19:01

She can't use his blue badge unless he's in the car, that's the rule. If she's concerned about leaving him, she could do as my mum has for my step dad and get him a panic button to wear, so that if he has an accident while she's out he can call for help. And this would give her the few extra minutes she needs to park legally and complete her errands.

Cheby Sun 09-Oct-16 09:19:18

No she can't. The person who owns the badge needs to be in the car. You say your DM is fit and active, why on earth does she need to use the disabled spaces if your DF isn't with her?

Myredrose Sun 09-Oct-16 09:19:51

There should be a booklet that came with the badge, it will explain that she can't use it if he is not with her. It doesn't matter that she is shopping for him, in fact, even if she brought him and he sat in the car, it's not allowed.

It's to facilitate someone with a disability being near to somewhere that they need to access.

jmh740 Sun 09-Oct-16 09:19:59

You can only use the badge if the person named in the badge is with you or you are dropping them off or picking them up, in the circumstances you described she could have been fined or the blue badge could be withdrawn.

Why couldn't you have got the things they needed and left mum and dad at home?

FlemCandango Sun 09-Oct-16 09:21:18

No your mum is right. Unless the person named on the badge is with you, you cannot use the badge.

I used to issue disabled parking badges in a central London borough. we had individuals ensuring their bedridden relative was issued a badge and then taking the badge and using it to park around London themselves - it was a big problem!angry

LobsterQuadrille Sun 09-Oct-16 09:21:54

Just to reiterate that my DM has never parked in a disabled space if my father is not in the car! Yesterday it meant that he couldn't have a prescription that he needed, that's all, so I thought it was worth asking. That you Fayrazzled for the link.

LobsterQuadrille Sun 09-Oct-16 09:22:38

*Thank

Kaffiene Sun 09-Oct-16 09:22:44

Can't they use online shopping? Or get a carer in to sit with him?
But no if he is not in the car or not getting out of the car she shouldn't use the badge or space.
These spaces are for people who don't have an option. Either they need the extra room to get in or out of the car or physically can't walk that far. If I am out with my daughter and there are no free badge spaces we can't use that shop.
YABU

StStrattersOfMN Sun 09-Oct-16 09:22:57

He doesn't just have to be with her, he has to get out of the car too.

Ginmakesitallok Sun 09-Oct-16 09:24:15

Why couldn't your mum just park somewhere else?

MrsJayy Sun 09-Oct-16 09:24:27

It sounds difficult but no your mum cant use his disabled badge when he isnt in the car your mum and dad could be fined and the badge revoked there is no ifs or buts about this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now