Talk

Advanced search

How can I help ds?

(7 Posts)
marvelousdcomics Sat 08-Oct-16 19:59:26

So I've posted before about my dd(14) and her eating disorders. She's doing very well in her recovery from binge eating, and is accepting herself more and more every day.

Anyway, I'm slightly concerned with ds(12) behaviour. He's always been on the heavier side of normal (79th centile). Not fat, but does have a bit of fat - quite solid I suppose. Since going back to school he's talked of getting a six pack and losing a bit of fat. Recently he keeps trying to cut his food intake drastically, but gets really hungry and eats loads and loads of junk food, which distresses him.

He really wants to be healthy, and get a six pack and muscles and stuff, but I'm really concerned. When he tries to be healthy he barely eats. I'm not sure if dd's issues have projected onto him or what, but he desperately wants to be healthy. How can I explain to him that healthy does not mean hungry? He is stubborn so any ideas to help him would be appreciated. Thank you.

mrsfuzzy Sat 08-Oct-16 20:02:54

not sure what to offer but hope some good ideas will come along soon flowers, must be worrying for you and hard for ds.

MrsHathaway Sat 08-Oct-16 20:05:08

There was quite a lot online about Olympic athletes' diets over the summer, which presumably will be available and searchable.

Obviously DS won't want the quantities since he won't be doing that level of training, but they will be talking about lean protein, iron-rich vegetables, complex carbohydrates etc and avoiding artificial additives and refined sugar. That's a diet that can be very filling and stable for blood sugar (reducing need for binging).

What sport/exercise does he do? Would a PT at the gym be able to talk to him about food as fuel?

DT2000 Sat 08-Oct-16 20:10:46

Google muscle building diets with him so he can see how much he needs to eat to get muscles and a six pack

marvelousdcomics Sat 08-Oct-16 20:14:00

Thank you mrsfuzzy smile

MrsHathaway thank you! I'll have a look at those with him. He does PE on Mondays and goes to the gym on Fridays for an hour. I've bought him some running trainers so he can do that too. He's also not sleeping as much which could be a problem for him (always moody and tired at the moment).

Thank you all so far

user1471544305 Sat 08-Oct-16 21:07:40

Can you work out a healthy diet for him at home where he isn't hungry and follow that

marvelousdcomics Sun 09-Oct-16 09:03:21

Thanks user, will think one up today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now