My DH - is he entering second childhood?

(24 Posts)
Liiinoo Sat 08-Oct-16 17:03:48

DH has just gone out. I asked him to stop on the way home at any of the numerous mini-supermarket branches that have sprung up around here and bring back some beef mince. Among the stupid questions he asked were 'Where will I find it Liiinoo?', because I have memorised the shelf layout of every mini-mart in a 6 mile radius of course. Also 'beef mince - what does that look like?' I told him it will be the packet that has 'beef mince' written on the label. Now I am dreading him coming back with a tin of Fray Bentos. but it is to make a shepherds pie for his elderly aunty and she might like tinned mince so that could be OK

He used to be quite practical but as he has got older he has got dumber and dumber about 'normal' stuff. I can't help but have a sneaking suspicion that he is playing dumb so I will sigh with exasperation and go and buy it myself. But that won't happen, I am far too busy playing on my IPad and looking forward to Strictly.

I have just realised we need some mozzarella for tonight's pizza. I will text him and see how he gets on with that one.

HuskyLover1 Sat 08-Oct-16 17:05:31

Eh? He doesn't know what mince looks like? He must be the only person on the planet. And it will be in the meat isle. Crikey!

HughLauriesStubble Sat 08-Oct-16 18:26:27

Yanbu OP my dh is a bit like this (what does it look like etc) but recently I was ill and had no other choice but to give him a list and get him to do the big shop (we live in an area where we can't have it delivered). I was pleasantly surprised at his effort although he spent £30 more than I usually would have

I was in lidl last week and there was an intelligent looking man in a suit with his wife on speakerphone literally giving him directions (turn left at the eggs etc) and describing the packaging of what she needed. He couldn't fathom peeled plum tomatoes in tins at all until I stepped in and pointed them out. Saw him when I was at the checkout 20 minutes later with his trolley half full and the wife was still on speakerphone talking him through the finer points of kitchen towels hmm

MerylPeril Sat 08-Oct-16 18:29:06

DH is like this - I think all practical knowledge has been pushed out of his head now. I now see why old men become incapable.

Cary2012 Sat 08-Oct-16 18:31:47

I think he'll be back with a tin of Whiskas beef in jelly, and a packet of macaroni cheese OP.....

DailyMaui Sat 08-Oct-16 19:05:40

I'm feel your pain. I sent mine out to get beef gravy once and he came back with a packet of chicken spice mix. Then there was the time I needed coconut milk and got soya milk.

Still at least he's no longer using the mosquito repellent as a deodorant.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sat 08-Oct-16 19:35:53

Amazing how when it's something they want they stop being useless fuckwits.

They do it because it's easier to get wifey to do the thinking. My husband does it sometimes and I get really quite angry - unless these men described are actually cognitively disadvantaged in some way they are just being fuckwits.

Even my four year old knows what a packet of mince looks like although he'd struggle with the finer points of lean and fatty I think!

Liiinoo Sat 08-Oct-16 20:58:34

Fair play to DH. He came back with good quality mince and our regular mozzarella. So he can do it - so why does he act like a simpleton?

And breathe.....

Nataleejah Sat 08-Oct-16 21:43:24

My DH couldn't manage to find ONIONS in Asda...

Itchyclit Sat 08-Oct-16 21:52:48

Shepherds pie is made with lamb mince. Cottage pie is beef mince.

Liiinoo Sat 08-Oct-16 23:04:33

Itchy, that is the difference between us middle aged ladies and the idealistic young. I am just grateful that Aunty's dinner for the next few days will be made from a land based mammal.

WorraLiberty Sat 08-Oct-16 23:08:26

I am just grateful that Aunty's dinner for the next few days will be made from a land based mammal.

Your DH is also a land based mammal

Just sayin'.... grin

RollingWithIt Sat 08-Oct-16 23:13:14

Worra grin

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Sat 08-Oct-16 23:13:17

Basically he can't be arsed using his own brain and thinks it's easier to use yours instead.

benbry Sat 08-Oct-16 23:21:35

My very resourceful young DH is now a totally helpless, hopeless, old DH.

I must have watched that happen.

EverySongbirdSays Sat 08-Oct-16 23:47:23

Isn't it "Strategic Incompetence" - helplessness feigned to escape boring chores. Children do it just as much.

0dfod Sat 08-Oct-16 23:50:04

Don't forget to ask him to pick up some powdered water and a long wait

StealthPolarBear Sat 08-Oct-16 23:52:28

I'd usually join in the dh winging but after finding a wriggly thing in dd's hair at 9.20 he was sent out to get something to kill them all. The first pharmacy was shut and he managed to work out where the nearest next one was and get to it with five minuyes to spare, returning with enough stuff to treat us all, today and next week.
So tonight he was very useful!

Liiinoo Sun 09-Oct-16 00:52:05

Worra you are giving me ideas. He is very well insured and I am sure any jury would see it as justifiable homicide....but then I would have to make my own coffee in the morning.

Hey ho - swings and roundabouts.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 09-Oct-16 01:05:13

Once asked my dh to get some loo cleaner - any kind - from a massive Asda.
He came back telling me they didn't have any. No loo cleaner of any description.
Nowadays if he can't find something - perennial problem with finding things - he will ask.
Recently while I was at the checkout at another Asda an elderly man asked a supervisor where the Dijon mustard was - he couldn't find any. Supervisor told him they didn't stock it any more.
Unable to believe this, I went and found it immediately, at least 2 kinds, staring at me at eye level. And went and showed him.
Not altogether astonishing that the man couldn't find it, but seriously astonishing that one of the staff told him they didn't have any!

tallwivglasses Sun 09-Oct-16 01:42:17

Yeah, Boots don't sell tampons, apparently.

SwearySwearyQuiteContrary Sun 09-Oct-16 01:51:19

TBH, I don't mind it if DH can't find something in the supermarket. I only send him because I know he will come back with a large bag of crisps, chocolate and nice biscuits.

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 09-Oct-16 14:42:17

Asked mine to get avocado and sour cream, presented with green beans and baby sweet corn as "I just got the closest thing"...

YouTheCat Sun 09-Oct-16 14:54:51

Weeds, is your dh a picker for Sainsburys? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now