Talk

Advanced search

To think my maths is correct here..

(12 Posts)
Bellatata89 Sat 08-Oct-16 12:30:20

Hello

I am contract to work 6 days per week at a weekly rate of £1000. This should have gone up to £1200 in September but may take a month to kick in.
I have worked a few extra days this month and I am also working some days instead of taking annual leave. So I would like to work out how much my daily rate is.
I worked it out this way 1000/6days.. Am I right? Also should I be dividing 1000 by 6 or 1200 as it should have gone up but it hasn't yet. My brother worked it out by timings my weekly wage by 52 then dividing it by the days of the year. However I'm not contract to 7 days a week.

HuskyLover1 Sat 08-Oct-16 12:58:40

Your way is the way to do it, because you are trying to work out what you are owed, for the extra days you've worked. So you earn £200 a day, for any extra days worked from September onwards.

RosieSW Sat 08-Oct-16 14:05:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Allthewaves Sat 08-Oct-16 14:37:40

Is it same hours daily or a set day rate

MohammedLover Sat 08-Oct-16 20:02:57

Any jobs going!

Bellatata89 Sun 09-Oct-16 02:34:39

Thank you.

It is the same hours each day. My days off are from September so should i still with £166 but make a little note that future extra days will be at the new rate of £200? I don't want to appear greedy.

splendide Sun 09-Oct-16 07:25:38

You need a clear date for when the new rate applies - if you set the rate you just need to tell them and if it's them you need to ask for when the new rate kicks in.

Bellatata89 Sun 09-Oct-16 12:23:10

In my contract it start September, on the arrival of the new baby. I mentioned that my wage had not increased for my pay at the end of September and she said she would speak to the office.

RosieSW Mon 10-Oct-16 15:45:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MuffyTheUmpireSlayer Mon 10-Oct-16 15:49:07

I'm just curious as to what field you work in and how I can get involved! grin

crabbyoldbat Mon 10-Oct-16 16:19:04

It depends whether you are an employee or self employed.

If you are an employee, then your brother is correct - you are paid £1200 per week. A week is 7 days, one of which you have off. Your weekly pay also covers your holidays i.e. you still get paid £1200 a week, even when you're on holiday. They pay your tax etc.

If you are self employed, paid by the day, then you are correct, and your day rate is 1200 divided by 6 - £200 per day. Out of this you have to cover your own tax and holidays.

If you are employed, then you should have had a discussion at some point with your employer about additional days about working extra days. Or the rules for this will be in your contract. They could either pay you 'overtime' for these days, or give you time off instead (Time Off In Lieu - TOIL). Before working any extra days you'd get your employer's approval, and this would be agreed. Be careful about deciding to do extra days without getting approval first, as they may say that they didn't agree to them.

DadDadDad Mon 10-Oct-16 16:38:00

Following on from crabby, it's this bit in OP that's confusing me:
I have worked a few extra days this month and I am also working some days instead of taking annual leave. So I would like to work out how much my daily rate is.

So, you are contracted to work 6 days per week, and get £1000 for each week worked. Does that include some entitlement for paid annual leave? How can you work extra days on top of that - do you mean you've worked 7 days some weeks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now