Talk

Advanced search

PIL drinking while babysitting

(158 Posts)
PerditaNitt Sat 08-Oct-16 01:11:55

I left my 3mo DS with my inlaws this evening; this is the first time that my husband and I have been away from him for the evening and my PIL offered to stay at our house to babysit. They have looked after DS before for 2 hour stretches during the day very occasionally. I have just found out that while babysitting FIL has two beers and MIL also had a drink. Appreciate the volumes aren't massive, but I feel that any alcohol would dull the senses and slow reflexes, so should be avoided when babysitting. The baby was awake and very active this evening and would have required a lot of attention.

AIBU to feel disappointed?

* [Message from MNHQ - the OP's asked us to edit out a few details here so it's less identifying]

Atticmatic Sat 08-Oct-16 01:14:42

Relax! Good grief...

RebelRogue Sat 08-Oct-16 01:15:44

Did you and oh drink tonight?

QueenLizIII Sat 08-Oct-16 01:16:03

biscuit

Strokethefurrywall Sat 08-Oct-16 01:17:07

Unclench please.

PerditaNitt Sat 08-Oct-16 01:17:21

Nope, neither of us did (I'm BF so no booze anyway).

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 08-Oct-16 01:17:27

Two beers? I wouldn't care. I would care about significantly more if they were carrying the baby around.

c0ckyn0b Sat 08-Oct-16 01:18:00

Get a grip

eightbluebirds Sat 08-Oct-16 01:18:06

It is fine!

PerditaNitt Sat 08-Oct-16 01:18:14

They did bath the baby, so not sure if that was after the drinks (he is a fidgety little fish)

ShanghaiDiva Sat 08-Oct-16 01:19:13

Yabu - I wouldn't say anything. I think an adult who has had a beer is perfectly capable of looking after a 3 month old baby.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 08-Oct-16 01:21:16

I think they probably know their limits. Unless they don't in which case I wouldn't have them look after my child.

PerditaNitt Sat 08-Oct-16 01:21:56

Thanks for the reassurance, all - not sure if I'm just being PFB about it all. I have a very low tolerance to alcohol, so even one beer would affect me significantly, which could be clouding my judgement.

swimmerforlife Sat 08-Oct-16 01:25:18

I understand your concerns but it's not like they got absolutely hammered is it OP? Two beers means he could most likely still legally drive.

Just be grateful your Pil offered to babysit, some of us that to fork out ££ on babysitting fees.

MarcelineTheVampire Sat 08-Oct-16 01:27:32

YABU and you can drink and BF.

ollieplimsoles Sat 08-Oct-16 01:33:14

I agree with you op, I haven't had a drink in ages (11month old dd) and I easily get very tipsy on just one small drink.

But the thing that does it for me is- why do they felt they needed to drink while looking after him? Couldn't they survive without for one Friday night while they watched their gds? Particularly if he was active.

Yanbu

19lottie82 Sat 08-Oct-16 01:33:49

I thought you were going to say they drank 3 bottles of wine...... yABU.

First born?

QueenLizIII Sat 08-Oct-16 01:39:55

I easily get very tipsy on just one small drink.

But that is you.

I doubt anyone would drink in charge of a baby knowing full well it would affect them so badly.

On a day in the summer in the park this year, my friend walked to the shops for ice creams and cam back with with two beers each. i drank them both with no effects at all and I've never had beer before.

I think FIL knows his limit.

PerditaNitt Sat 08-Oct-16 01:40:08

Can see two sides to this - they definitely weren't getting hammered, just having a drink to relax. That said, agree with ollieplimsolls that I can't really see the need; i have a take it or leave it attitude towards drink (tea being my preferred tipple to relax)

Abraiid2 Sat 08-Oct-16 01:40:43

YABVU.

BummyMummy77 Sat 08-Oct-16 01:43:59

You either trust them or you don't.

ollieplimsoles Sat 08-Oct-16 01:48:00

I'm also pfb op so probably not the best person to listen to. I also dont trust my pils to have my DD alone so that may cloud my judgement too.

I have a take it or leave it attitude towards alcohol and cant understand people who just have to have a drink. Especially when babysitting.

PerditaNitt Sat 08-Oct-16 01:49:46

bummymummy77, thanks - reading your comment helps - I do trust them, and that is what matters

19lottie82 Sat 08-Oct-16 01:50:37

ollie so anyone, inc parents, should ever ever have a drink (not get drunk), when in charge of children, even when they are sleeping?

BummyMummy77 Sat 08-Oct-16 01:52:57

You must have in the first place to have left dc. I know where you're coming from, unfortunately in my case I still don't trust ds's grandparents (dh's parents) with him and they've never had him alone.

Don't beat yourself up about worrying though. That's your job. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now