To ask what you would do to improve your situation if you were me

(17 Posts)
abbinob Fri 07-Oct-16 19:31:49

We're skint. All the fucking time. Skint as in chosing between bills each month always putting one off or choosing to pay a bill or buy ds clothes/a coat/shoes etc. Never enough money for everything we need to pay.
Dp and I both work though me only part time on his days off to avoid childcare. and both in dead end minimum wage jobs.

I really really just want to sort my shit out but I have no idea how. Go back to college? But to study what? I have a levels but those are useless and I don't really want to do a degree. I'm good at maths so maybe accounting but you can onot get funding for level 3 courses and you can't do a level 3 course until you've done the level 2.
Adult apprenticeship?
Am also 16 weeks pregnant so that makes thing tricky too but I'm so sick of this shit but km actually scared to try and come up with a long term plan because all I ever so is my my situation worse.

I'm 25 now and getting worried this is going to be my situation forever because I just can't think of what to do. What do people do?

MycatsaPirate Fri 07-Oct-16 19:38:28

I'd look at what you enjoy doing so if that's working with people, working with numbers, working alone. Then look at the skills you have (not just academic but practical skills) and see where you can fit those into a job.

Short term, you can look at all your bills and outgoings and see if there is anything you can cut back on. Apologies if you've done this already. Turn the heating down and wear more clothes, cover windows in film to keep heat in and generally look at scraping back a few quid here and there to see if it helps.

Make sure you claim everything you can ie help with housing, tax credits etc. You may find that working full time could be worth it as tax credits could cover 80% of your costs. Do some calculating and see if that would work out any better each month.

I remember when I had DD1, ended up as a single parent with a mortgage, full time nursery costs and a very long day monday to friday just to keep a roof over our heads. I thought that would never end but it did, we came out the other side and gradually life got easier.

I'd think about getting rid of mobile phone contracts, any TV fees and change your utility providers.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Fri 07-Oct-16 19:45:58

If you are good at maths then you might also be good at computer programming.

You could learn that while pregnant and on maternity leave. There are loads of online courses (obviously!).

An OU course or similar in software engineering could be a good introduction.

Beebeeeight Fri 07-Oct-16 19:49:26

Go to money advice/ citizens advice and ask for a benefits check and a better off calculator if you work more hours and pay for childcare.

If you don't need to live locally for free childcare think about relocating somewhere cheaper or closer to work to reduce travel costs.

Go on money saving expert and get the weekly emails and follow the advice.

YellowCrocus Fri 07-Oct-16 19:58:05

Money saving expert website is brilliant for budgeting and cutting back, do have a look.

You need to decide what you want to do long term and plan out the steps you need to take to get there. E.g what training/ skills do I need to get to the next level. Though probably this is a moot point for a while as you are pregnant!

Your A levels are not useless, they prove to an employer that you are reasonably intelligent and capable of applying yourself.

Honestly? Everyone I know was completely skint at your age. All pretty successful now! Don't give up!

GoldPlatedBacon Fri 07-Oct-16 20:27:24

If you're good with numbers have you looked at a bookkeeping course?

JenLindleyShitMom Fri 07-Oct-16 20:38:40

Cut every single bill/cost you can. Cancel everything that isn't essential. Reduce all other bills back to bare minimum. Sell all outgrown child clothes in bundles and use eBay or charity shops to kit him out when he needs things.

Personally I would advise against trying to retrain right now. It costs money, it will fuck up any tax credits/benefits you are entitled to, you will need childcare that will cost money.

I'm your shoes I would try and get as much work from home work as you can. Both of you. Do it evenings and weekends. Into the wee hours if you can. Save as much of the extra income as possible or if you have debts pour it all into them. Get yourselves debt free, then aim to have a comfortable cushion to cover new baby and maternity leave, and beyond. Once you have a comfortable cushion and are living a bit more comfortably on this new income then look at retraining when you have a bit of spare cash to cover the expense. Also, let Brexit happen before you throw a fortune at a new career path. Let things settle and then take a good look at what is actually worthwhile doing and the costs of doing it. Lots and lots of courses are being cut/scaled back right now. Course people started a few years ago through OU are now costing them a lot more than they initially planned for.

HeddaGarbled Fri 07-Oct-16 21:46:29

TBH, you're pregnant, this isn't a good time to be applying for work, college or apprenticeships. You may just have to accept these are the hand to mouth years and go with the money saving suggestions above, with a view to improving your work situation in a few years' time when the baby goes to nursery/school and you won't have to fork out for childcare.

You have A levels so you're obviously capable of doing more than a dead end minimum wage job as you call it. When the time is right, I would just apply for lots and lots of better jobs. I don't believe your A levels are useless. You'll have to start at the bottom because you don't have vocational training or experience (though you should make the most of your current training/experience in your application) but you can work your way up if you're any good.

I know someone who started as a cleaner and then started her own cleaning company, someone who started on the tills in a supermarket then became a shift supervisor and someone who started behind the counter in a cafe and worked her way up to manager. But their children were older so they were able to put in the necessary hours without paying for childcare.

oldlaundbooth Fri 07-Oct-16 22:06:24

Any chance of progressing in the company where you do this dead end job? I. E. If. You're stacking shelves, could you move into accounts in the same company?

MoonBabyMoonBaby Fri 07-Oct-16 22:39:25

Have you thought about starting an Ebay business, buying things from charity shops, boot sales and auctions and selling them on for more? It's how we originally started our part time business a couple of years ago and it's a good way to start as you can gradually buy/sell more things as you get more money behind you.

Or try to get into a sales based job. I only have GCSEs and an NVQ level 2 qualification and didn't want to fork out money to retrain for something better paid so I got a job in sales and have progressed really quickly and earn very well from it. If you are good at sales you don't really need any qualifications at all, there is plenty of money to be made and also it can fit in well with childcare commitments, eg I work school hours Monday-Friday therefore no childcare costs.

wewereonabreak1 Fri 07-Oct-16 22:46:13

What are you good at and what do you enjoy?

Make list and then see what can be matched up.

I've always wanted to be a nurse on the basis of what I enjoy and what I'm good at....just wish I'd done it!

Life is long OP (despite what most people say) and you have to be happy.

wewereonabreak1 Fri 07-Oct-16 22:48:29

Also please don't stress too much. You're doing the beat you can for your family at this juncture. Things change and it won't be like this forever.

Enjoy your pregnancy and best of luck. You'll be ok flowers

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Fri 07-Oct-16 22:55:29

If you have a levels you already have level 3 qualifications. GCSEs and equivalents are level 2. So are you sure that you couldn't get on to a higher level course. Or do a higher level apprenticeship. There are lots of apprenticeships in accountancy, and lots of other areas too.

Boneyjoany Fri 07-Oct-16 23:00:47

Matched Betting. This is NOT gambling. Have a look at Profit Accumulator. We've made £11k since January. You need to be good at maths and have an eye for detail.

Boneyjoany Fri 07-Oct-16 23:02:11

And all you need is a good internet connection and time to concentrate. The first few goes are tedious but once you get the hang of it, it's ACTUAL free money.

Boneyjoany Fri 07-Oct-16 23:03:42

Oh yeah and it's tax free and you don't have to declare it.

gleam Fri 07-Oct-16 23:09:48

If you're good at maths, how about applying for a job in a bank or building society? Low mortgage costs after working for the qualifying period.

Have a look at FutureLearn for free courses - see if they have anything useful?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now