To think dh is working and my friend is overreacting and a bit needy

(59 Posts)
Thefishewife Fri 07-Oct-16 17:29:06

Rang my friend last week but she was busy I assume so left a message just asking how her dd got off to uni and how she was doing Ect

She rang me back later that day but I was cooking and looking after the little ones so rang her back the next day she was at work so couldn't talk

This brings us to about Thursday on Friday she what's apps me saying she is feeling down I have hidden my app and turned off the notifications as it was pinging all nite so I didn't get the message until Saturday I couldn't ring during the day as I have 3 children and it seems eveytime I am on the phone they start being sill so I thought I should wait until they were in bed phoned her Saturday nite

She texted she was in the bath so I rang her back on Sunday while I was alone at car boot she didn't pick up

I haven't heard for her since then yesterday I saw her outside nursey and I called out to her saying oh hi and she waved at me as to shoo me away she didn't even say hello
*dh said I should have answered her call stright away and she would still be speaking to me but I can't be expected to drop everything because she's called I don't think you should expect to be replied to always stright away bloody hell we just kept missing each other it wasn't deliberate*😳

I know she felt low and I got back to her as soon as I could

Thefishewife Fri 07-Oct-16 17:29:35

Wrong 😳😳😳😳 not working

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Fri 07-Oct-16 17:32:49

I am with dh. Even a quick call would have done. Sorry.

RhiWrites Fri 07-Oct-16 17:33:41

I'm torn. She contacted you on Friday saying she was down and although you did try contacting her it wasn't as high a priority for you another things. By the time she saw you on Thursday nearly a week has past without the two of you getting to speak.

I think you could have tried a bit harder, maybe texted her to ask what was up or something about you were sorry you kept missing her and you did want to talk.

It's quite hurtful when you reach out to a friend for support and they're not there.

GettingMuckyFingersCrossed Fri 07-Oct-16 17:39:24

She's hurt she didn't hear from you . You need to explain about your phone and , if it was me , I'd apologise

memyselfandaye Fri 07-Oct-16 17:40:57

Saying you can't use the phone during the day is a ridiculous excuse.

You really could'nt have found 10 minutes out of how many days to give a friend in need a call?

I think you've been a crap friend, stop making excuses and just admit to yourself you could'nt be bothered.

JellyBelli Fri 07-Oct-16 17:42:36

When you contacted her she was at work or in the bath, she could have got back to you after those calls but she didnt.
Are you now supposed to go running after her and apologise? I wouldnt.

debbs77 Fri 07-Oct-16 17:43:33

You are not being unreasonable! You tried! I never use my phone when the kids are around as it gets crazy and stressful and a total nightmare!!

jessica29054 Fri 07-Oct-16 17:44:47

I am not with the consensus here. I don't think you were crap and I think shooing someone away is very rude.

Jizzomelette Fri 07-Oct-16 17:45:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

myownprivateidaho Fri 07-Oct-16 17:46:42

Nah, you tried to call her several times. She should have called back.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 07-Oct-16 17:48:08

I totally get where you're coming from. When you did try to call back, she didn't answer but she expects you to be available to answer whenever is convenient for her even though you have young children (and I totally understand that one, DD used to kick off terrible with DS whenever I was on the phone)

I'd text and explain about whatsapp being off, give a definite time when you can call her and ask if that will be ok. If she doesn't reply or answer when you call, I don't know what else you can do.

GahBuggerit Fri 07-Oct-16 17:49:23

Friend is being needy, she could have rang you back after her bath, or spoke to you in the bath.

yanbu she sounds like hard work

VoldysGoneMouldy Fri 07-Oct-16 17:51:11

YABU.

buttfacedmiscreant Fri 07-Oct-16 17:52:26

If you didn't see the message until Saturday then it is perfectly acceptable that you didn't call until then. I think a text saying "sorry, didn't see this earlier, will call when kids in bed...?" would have helped though and when she texted "in bath" it would have been helpful to text back "want me to call tomorrow?"

Not everyone checks their phone several times a day. You tried twice and the phone lines go both ways, she could have called.

potentialqualms Fri 07-Oct-16 18:05:32

I don't jump every time my phone beeps at me but knowing a friend was down after seeing her DS of to Uni, I wouldn't have left it more than 24 hours.

NapQueen Fri 07-Oct-16 18:06:56

Couldn't you have just what sapped and arranged a time between you?

PrivatePike Fri 07-Oct-16 18:09:05

YANBU - you tried to ring her a few times!

228agreenend Fri 07-Oct-16 18:09:33

i don't think you did anything wrong. She could have contacted you after the bath or after work.

Planty18 Fri 07-Oct-16 18:12:39

I never have time to make calls in the day with the kids and all the stuff they have going on and you did actually try to call her it sounds like several times. Just phone her, say you're sorry you didn't catch her, say you have tried but you keep missing each other. If she doesn't pick up then leave a message, or text her. Her reaction is over the top but I think you should still try and see what's up.

Losingtheplod Fri 07-Oct-16 18:14:34

I think your friend is being bizarre. You have been trying to get hold of her for days, its hardly your fault if she was in the bath, at work, or otherwise busy when you called. It sounds like you have made plenty of effort to me.

TheNaze73 Fri 07-Oct-16 18:15:01

YANBU, she's being far too needy and is out of order treating you like that

worldsworstchildren Fri 07-Oct-16 18:15:57

Yanbu. I have same problem sometimes. You did try to get back to her and when you contacted her it obviously wasn't convenient for her then. It's just one of those things

GoofyTheHero Fri 07-Oct-16 18:17:36

YANBU. You tried to call her several times. Are you supposed to drop everything else to keep trying over and over?
Shooing a friend away is never acceptable, it's childish. Why couldn't she have said 'I'm upset we haven't managed to speak'. You know, like an adult.

EweAreHere Fri 07-Oct-16 18:19:22

I don't think you were being unreasonable; your friend sounds like hard work.

Yes, she's having a difficult time perhaps, but you also have a busy life and you did try to call her back. She needs to think about others' lives, too, not just her own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now