To consider teaching DS 8 some swear words

(59 Posts)
retainertrainer Fri 07-Oct-16 13:32:47

The latest 'thing' in DS's class is knowing 'swears',not using them but just knowing what they are. DS is an innocent soul-he thinks the f word is fart, he thinks the c word is 'cramp' (not even crap!). He's picked up ass and 'blummin'. He never uses these at home or in school,he's very well behaved,no drama.

I think a lot of the kids who say they know swear words are just bull shitting. If they do know them they're certainly not saying them. I'm really tempted to tell him a few mild ones just so doesn't feel left out! I shouldn't should I?

I didn't know any swear words when I went to secondary school and it did me no favours,I had no street cred! It's a way off yet though.

mrsfuzzy Fri 07-Oct-16 13:36:26

why ? he'll learn soon enough any way,and that's a sad situation really .

retainertrainer Fri 07-Oct-16 13:38:23

It is sad isn't it,they're not innocent for very long. No I wouldn't really teach him any really,it just crossed my mind the other day and I'm bored so thought I'd start a thread!

acasualobserver Fri 07-Oct-16 14:46:17

I think it's a great idea, OP. But don't pussyfoot around with the milder words - send him in with some dynamite. Bad ass rep assured until the end of primary.

DelphiniumBlue Fri 07-Oct-16 14:48:31

Bless!

ThoraGruntwhistle Fri 07-Oct-16 14:49:51

Teach him some Shakespearean insults instead. He can laugh at them but they'd be too obscure to get him in trouble.

redskytonight Fri 07-Oct-16 14:56:43

I'm impressed he got to 8 without learning any!

RhodaBorrocks Fri 07-Oct-16 14:59:00

Sadly my DS was like yours until one little champ taught him all but the 'C' word (he still thinks that's 'crap').

Unfortunately DS (then 8) got into trouble for then using them. I told the head in no uncertain terms that if he hadn't picked them up off the other boy it wouldn't have happened, and they were all given a talking to about how they're not to teach each other swear words. Although I think that ship had sailed.

To mitigate things a bit, I told DS it's OK to swear in your head, but for the love of god don't do it out loud. It seems to have worked and it amuses me to think of him as a sweary little fucker inside his head because outwardly he very polite and sensitive.

Oh I did inadvertently teach him 'bollocks' though, because I thought he was talking about 'bollocks paintings' and told him off for using that word.

Pollock's paintings, Rhoda. Pollock's!

Joolsy Fri 07-Oct-16 15:02:49

You say that most of the kids probably don't even know swear words, and your DS doesn't even ever say the 2 v mild ones he does know, so what's the point? YABU I think

coffeetasteslikeshit Fri 07-Oct-16 15:03:14

A friend of DH's inadvertently taught DS1 the word cunt. He told his friends at school and was top dog for years, so yeah, tell him some if you really want to increase his popularity wink

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Fri 07-Oct-16 15:05:52

DD6 came home in great excitement telling me there was a 'toad' in the toilets at school that day. Turd is one of my pet hate words but I love the idea of a sweet toad swimming around the u-bend.

niceupthedance Fri 07-Oct-16 15:08:07

DS got taught all except the c bomb within three weeks of starting reception. He's still pretty obsessed with fuck now in year one. I taught him how to spell it properly in the car on the way to school this morning. He knows not to say it out loud and tbf I've never heard him swear.

QueenLizIII Fri 07-Oct-16 15:09:58

At 8 years old....believe me he is pretending. He knows exactly what they are.

NoFuchsGiven Fri 07-Oct-16 15:12:30

Your ds is 8 and never heard a swear word?

AmeliaJack Fri 07-Oct-16 15:15:44

I'm quite impressed he's got to 8 yo without hearing any. Neither my DH, the GPS or I swear in front of the children and they've never seen swearing TV but my 8yos are aware of a range of swear words.

They would never use the swear words they know but they are certainly know what they are and what they mean.

They go to school in an extremely naice area but they hear it from kids with older brothers and sisters.

Mari50 Fri 07-Oct-16 15:16:54

Wish my DD didn't know any! Sadly I'm a bit course and my gorgeous little girl has been exposed to the majority of swear words. I've been super careful to throw in a good dose of catholic guilt at the same time though so there's no chance of her using them.
I'm a terrible mother on more than one level.

Mari50 Fri 07-Oct-16 15:17:34

Fecking coarse!!

Tworingsandamicrowave Fri 07-Oct-16 15:26:41

When he did his First Holy Communion (therefore first confession) my DS wanted to tell the priest that he had used the 'c' word. Took me a minute to realise that he meant crap but even so I thought it best that he just confessed to having used swear words and not be specific blush

Fortnum Fri 07-Oct-16 15:28:56

DS when aged 9 - Broke his toe and was in tears, When he calmed down he said "daddy I really ,really want to do a Swear" I said okay son. His reply was " Fucking Christ" - of course he heard it from me.

Losingtheplod Fri 07-Oct-16 15:31:24

I have to confess I have let DS persuade me to tell him most swear words. He argued that it was better that he knows them, so he doesn't say them accidentally. I thought he'd just as well hear them from me, and know that they are not to be repeated, as pick them up in the playground. He hasn't been caught using any of them so far.

retainertrainer Fri 07-Oct-16 15:31:25

If he's ever heard any they've just gone straight over his head. He heard 'dog's bollocks' from his cousin the other week but recalled it as 'dog's bladder'. Bless him.

retainertrainer Fri 07-Oct-16 15:33:04

Loving these stories.

Zombiemum1946 Fri 07-Oct-16 15:47:14

It's impossible to avoid. My lo was asking me about finger gestures. Apparently one of the nursery kids was standing at the class window looking in showing them all. Teacher had to explain which was rude . Sitting on the bus to town, and in town, my lo heard pretty much all of them even c**t in one journey. She's had so far repeated bastard and shit . We had to tell that oh God might upset some people as well. So as she has mentioned it we've explained that it's a bad word . It's not the end of the world just go with how you feel .

TheRedCarWon Fri 07-Oct-16 15:47:42

Mine know quite a few swear words. I'm not generally a sweary person but the occasional 'for fuck's sake', 'bloody hell', 'twat', 'bugger' and 'arsehole' slip out of my mouth. Usually when I'm driving. If my dc copy those words, I don't make a big deal of it and just tell them that they're swear words that aren't very nice and that lots of people don't like to hear them so we try not to say them out loud.

Allthewaves Fri 07-Oct-16 15:53:15

My 8 year old only learned swear words this year from his 5 year old brother hmm. Ds2 had a boy with sen is his class with a very colorful vocab that he had learned playing out. Unfortunately he then used these words loudly and frequently in reception class. My 3 year old can swear like a trooper as when ds2 has a meltdown (poss asd) he uses ALL the words he learned

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now