Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if it's bonkers to have a baby and toddler in a 1 bed flat.

(120 Posts)
jessica29054 Thu 06-Oct-16 18:49:55

It probably is bonkers.

DH has a flat and tried to sell it but no takers. We were thinking about renting it out but in all honesty the best solution would probably be to rent our current property out and move into the flat. This would undoubtedly be the most cost effective thing to do.

However, we have one under-one and hope to add to our family at some point soon, probably in around 2018.

So - is it nuts?

Heratnumber7 Thu 06-Oct-16 18:51:21

Yes. Where would everyone sleep? Where would kids play? Where would you keep everyone's clothes and toys, and anything else?

Crunchymum Thu 06-Oct-16 18:53:00

I am sure everyone here will say it is. MN seems think it is child cruelty if you don't have a room for each kid and a playroom and a guest room and an ensuite in the master

We moved before number 2 arrived but will most likely be 3 kids in a 2 bedroom house so similar to an extent..

GizmoFrisby Thu 06-Oct-16 18:55:10

What's wrong with the property you are in just now?

Artandco Thu 06-Oct-16 18:55:18

No it's fine. We have two children in a one bed flat. Have been here since they were born, eldest is 6 1/2 years now. No issues here

VeryBitchyRestingFace Thu 06-Oct-16 18:55:23

How big is the flat? I live in a large one bedroom tenement with lots of space. I could easily see two kids in the bedroom and parents sleeping in fold down bed in living room.

If its that kind of flat, I don't see the problem. Generations of kids grew up in far worse.

If it's a pokey wee modern flat though, might be a different ball game.

Could you convert flat to a 2 bed?

Oysterbabe Thu 06-Oct-16 18:56:30

Where would everyone sleep? Sounds awful tbh.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Thu 06-Oct-16 19:04:10

Where would everyone sleep? Sounds awful tbh.

Outside, under the night sky obv.

The one bedroom in a one bedroom flat is purely decorative, of course.

twocultures Thu 06-Oct-16 19:05:01

We live in a terraced house downstairs consists of kitchen and lounge (no hallways or porches) and upstairs a bedroom + 1 box room ( currently DSs room as it wouldn't fit our bed) and a teeny tiny bathroom which won't even fit a bath and an attic (where the junk is stored) and I couldn't imagine having another DC in here past 6m.o. so I for one I'm sure would not survive 2 DCs in a flat blush

KC225 Thu 06-Oct-16 19:05:15

London Borough of Wandsworth does not consider 2 adults and two young children living in a one bedroom flat overcrowded - so I was told by Citizens Advice.

SillySongsWithLarry Thu 06-Oct-16 19:06:33

It would be a squeeze but doable. We're a family of 4 in a 2 bed flat and that's a squeeze at times. But if needs must then you'll make it work.

MargaretCavendish Thu 06-Oct-16 19:10:29

Since you don't yet have baby 2 (and don't intend to start trying to conceive them for a while) surely you could test the waters first? Move into the flat, rent out your current property and see how it goes with the one child. Then think 'could I live like this with another one?'. If no then surely you have at least a year to find a new solution: at worst, you're just back in your current situation.

x2boys Thu 06-Oct-16 19:11:15

do you have storage? i had two children in a two bed flat and it was a nightmare due to zero storage in a two bed house now but tons of storage which makes a huge differance.

jessica29054 Thu 06-Oct-16 19:14:04

grin

Yes, we'd sleep in the bedroom.

You're right, Margaret, it's just a difficult situation as we'd struggle to afford childcare for two without renting out our house.

It's quite a poky flat to be honest. Lovely, but compact.

Artandco Thu 06-Oct-16 19:23:14

All four of us sleep in the one bedroom here. A sofa bed wouldn't work really and no need. Means the living area can continue to be used if anyone is asleep

For us I can't really imagine needing a larger space. We aren't the type that stay at home all day, either at work or school, or weekends and holidays we are out and about doing stuff. Home is for sleep, eating, playing, and a little entertaining.

We did rent a 3 bed house this summer abroad for a week, the children wouldn't sleep alone so we all shared a room anyway and two empty rooms

minipie Thu 06-Oct-16 19:25:07

Honestly I think it depends what kind of people you are and what kind of kids you have.

So it could work if you are
- out all day (eg parents at work DC at nursery)
- not bothered by noise, mess, personal space
- all good and deep sleepers and happy to share a room
- fairly minimalist about "stuff"
- tidy

We would tick 3 or 4 of those boxes but we are all light sleepers and the DC wake a lot so I think it would be a nightmare for us.

blueturtle6 Thu 06-Oct-16 19:26:05

Save some.money by moving in now and save up so when new baby is six months can move to a bigger place.

TheField65 Thu 06-Oct-16 19:27:22

We lived in a one bedroom flat until dd was 3. Mainly, she and I shared a room and dh had the sofa. ;)

Equally, my parents had both me and my sister in a one bedroom flat until I was two and a half and my sister was 6 months old.

There are many, many families, the world over, who do not have a bedroom for each family member. Dh grew up sharing the sitting room with his two brothers, while his parents had one bedroom and his sister had the other.

No-one feels hard done by at all.

GerdaLovesLili Thu 06-Oct-16 19:28:09

Can the adults sleep in the living room? Is it a separate room? Do you keep very different hours?

Otherwise you've got to do, what you've got to do. Be prudent now and it will pay off later.

GrumpusLumpus Thu 06-Oct-16 19:29:43

Personally I think it sounds really stressful. What it baby 2 is a screamer. There will be no escape for anyone. I'd wait until everyone including DC1 can have a better quality of life.

Whatabloodyidiot1 Thu 06-Oct-16 19:30:34

Sounds horrendous. So there could potentially be 4 of you sleeping in one bedroom? In a small (your words) flat. No chance.
What about your need for privacy, your children's need for privacy? A space to call their own, a place to play when they have friends over? I can't think of a single positive regarding 4 people sharing such a small space.

toffeeboffin Thu 06-Oct-16 19:31:13

Of course it's fine. Especially since you only have one child at the moment.

SpotTheDuck Thu 06-Oct-16 19:34:49

I think it's doable but I wouldn't want to do it!

You'll need to be very minimalist. This is tougher than you'd think with a toddler, they seem to magically acquire garish plastic crap constantly. Also it's hard if you're hoping to have another child so saving everything they've outgrown. Do you have parents/friends with spare storage space you could use? If not, maybe budget for the cost of hiring space in one of those storage warehouses.

Also difficult depending on how well your child(ren) sleep and how lightly they sleep - e.g. If your toddler is going to wake up every time the baby cries, you're in for a rough year.

More generally think about how much time you'll actually be in the flat - are there lots of parks etc nearby so the toddler can run around?

SpotTheDuck Thu 06-Oct-16 19:36:12

Clicked post too soon - I mean it could be very difficult if one of you needs some quiet time (e.g. If ill, sleep deprived with a newborn, just needing to get housework done) but there's no real space for the toddler - you need to be able to get at least one adult and child out of the way sometimes

sparklefarts Thu 06-Oct-16 19:36:47

All I can think is how would you and Dh e we veto have sex in bed with two kids in the bedroom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now