Talk

Advanced search

How hard is it to buy milk?

(7 Posts)
MarianneSolong Thu 06-Oct-16 11:48:25

For about the last three years my husband has been retired - I work from home and the idea is that we each cook every other evening, and the one who cooks is responsible for a) buying any ingredients needed for the meal that aren't in stock and b) any other basic things - stuff we need for breakfast, bread etc - which are running low.

My husband has a habit of only getting the stuff he needs to cook, because he seems to find it difficult to think beyond checking off ingredients against a recipe. This morning I reminded him again to look for anything else we might need and he went off to the shops.

Have just wandered to the fridge and found we are completely out of milk. I pointed out that checking milk is hardly rocket science asked him to go out back to the shops and get some.

I used to nip out myself - but that just seems to be enabling him to carry on not doing household jobs properly.

Is it unreasonable to feel annoyed?

BreatheDeep Thu 06-Oct-16 11:54:18

Not unreasonable. DH regularly gets milk, butter etc that we need if he notices it's low.

On a side note - Do you shop every day? That would drive me insane!

MarianneSolong Thu 06-Oct-16 11:59:03

BreatheDeep, we only live a few minutes walk from a busy High Street, so we tend to do top-up shopping most days - and often pick up a daily newspaper as well. We don't tend to plan meals long in advance, and it can be a good way to pick up fresh stuff, bargains etc.

In the past when children were at home and I always cooked during the week we invariably did a big weekly shop at the weekend. That doesn't always happen now.

Ausernotanumber Thu 06-Oct-16 12:01:04

I always forget to buy sugar. DD complains. Often. 😳

BreatheDeep Thu 06-Oct-16 12:04:14

Ah, was just being nosy! Makes sense. Even more so that it's not unreasonable to be annoyed he doesn't get milk etc then.

Zeeandra Thu 06-Oct-16 12:04:39

Sugar is less obvious though as it's usually in a bowl or a bag. Milk you can clearly see by the simple act of opening the fridge door!

Yanbu send him back out, every time.

Ausernotanumber Thu 06-Oct-16 12:06:05

Sugar is in a glass container by the coffee.

I have no excuse. I am just sugar blind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now