To praise Smyths toys on their advert?

(25 Posts)
treetops3 Wed 05-Oct-16 23:23:37

smile

Klkl Wed 05-Oct-16 23:29:24

I presume you mean THIS ONE where the wee lad momentarily wears a lovely pink sparkly dress.

I'm just glad there are no wanking double entendres (see other thread for details wink )

Klkl Wed 05-Oct-16 23:31:19

....or have I missed the point 😂

treetops3 Wed 05-Oct-16 23:38:13

Nope, you've got it exactly! grin

DerekSprechenZeDick Wed 05-Oct-16 23:40:22

That will get annoying if seen more than once. The voice annoyed me

Don't see why they need praise for it.

treetops3 Wed 05-Oct-16 23:48:19

The voice is cute!

Well, praise for not going along with 'gender' norms

gaggiagirl Wed 05-Oct-16 23:51:39

I really like that ad. It's very well done.

DerekSprechenZeDick Wed 05-Oct-16 23:57:26

Oh the whole 'pink for boys yay, pink for girls nay' shite

RealityCheque Thu 06-Oct-16 00:19:14

Only on mn does anyone give a shiny shite about this. It's beyond tedious.

EveOnline2016 Thu 06-Oct-16 01:40:40

My DC think the ad is silly.

Notsure1234 Thu 06-Oct-16 01:45:49

I liked the ad but I didn't even notice he wore a pink dress

quasibex Thu 06-Oct-16 07:16:58

I preferred the Smyths ads that looked more like a toy story take over. There was no gender bias (although I don't really care about that...my children aren't defined by their toys) and there was definitely no smug, digitally enhanced boy declaring "I want a toy" at the end.

If anything this ad just reinforces the patriarchal idea that boys can have anything and girls don't get a look in.

Atticmatic Thu 06-Oct-16 07:19:16

It's shit

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Thu 06-Oct-16 07:21:55

It's shit

^^

VikingVolva Thu 06-Oct-16 07:25:43

"I liked the ad but I didn't even notice he wore a pink dress"

That's how it should be. Pink just a colour choice and no more dominant (for just one sex) than orange or yellow.

But unfortunately, pink is used to market things to girls, and the extent this is done has rocketed in the last few years. So yes, it's continuing shite.

Driven by marketeers, targeting those rich enough to pay twice for separate stuff for boys and girls. It's not innate about how the sexes are, just conditioning about what should be bought. Anything that steps away from that a bit is welcome.

And, I hope, one day will, not be remarkable. Because then colours will just be choices.

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 06-Oct-16 07:29:33

Are you sure that's supposed to be a boy?

I used to like the washing powder advert with the girl running around the garden playing with snails and stuff.

TheVirginQueen Thu 06-Oct-16 07:51:14

I like it!

youarenotkiddingme Thu 06-Oct-16 07:51:15

It's interesting because I liked the ad. Like the use of the song and words that encourage children to use toys imaginatively.

I never noticed the boy in the pink dress.

But I suppose that makes a hidden point?!

1DAD2KIDS Thu 06-Oct-16 08:06:11

Maybe its hidden because its not a point they are to strong for pushing but realise that a little tip of the hat to this sort of thing could be gold to people who are particularly bothered by these things. Remember advertising is about bringing in the £s not about some sense of Social justice. Lets see if it gets a mention in the media? I suspect they will be looking for credit for their progressive attitude while hiding well enough that it doesn't put off others.

DianaBathesInTango Thu 06-Oct-16 08:13:30

I saw it this morning and did a giant eye roll at the boy in the dress. It's just trying sooooo hard to be PC and a nod to the popular 'issues' of the day.

My ds was frequently in dd's dress up clothes (adorable he looked too) but gah. Could it not just be toys are fun, not a platform for the fevered hand wringing about whether they are offending anyone.
I almost feel sorry for companies nowadays, they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

EdmundCleverClogs Thu 06-Oct-16 08:19:23

I agree. With the 'it's shit' posters. It's not subtle, the song/singing is awful and it's a total John Lewis ad - it's only about making money to them.

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 06-Oct-16 08:21:34

There's already been a thread about this. I don't really think it's worth mentioning, boys have always played with dresses confused

Klkl Thu 06-Oct-16 09:09:55

^ it's only about making money to them.^

I'm pretty sure that is the general idea about adverts grin

I think DD is mostly wearing boy clothes today and I know boys who wear girls clothes.
The advert annoys me

EdmundCleverClogs Thu 06-Oct-16 09:46:27

Klkl, yet some seem to forget that, and fawn over how 'progressive' or 'heartwarming' it is. Judging by this thread, I guess it did its job, just like that awful JL advert last Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now