To be irritated by these comments

(9 Posts)
facepalming Wed 05-Oct-16 14:34:37

I'm part of a community chat group on Facebook having recently moved to the area. I grew up not too far away from here.

We have a local gp closing and the group chat was talking about what will go in its place.

Lots of sarcastic comments about take aways and charity shops, then a load of comments about ' we don't have a mosque yet' (cue lot of smiley faces from others) and ' how about a Polish comunity centre'

AIBU to find this offensive?

ChequeOff Wed 05-Oct-16 14:41:44

I would roll my eyes at those sort of comments too. The ones making them probably think they're being hilariously witty. 🙄

But I personally wouldn't bother getting offended though. CBA to argue with numpties.

JellyBelli Wed 05-Oct-16 14:42:49

YANBU, its intended to be offensive.

facepalming Wed 05-Oct-16 14:43:14

I was tempted to suggest that the building be used as an education centre for narrow minded locals but tbought better of it!

You can't fix stupid I suppose

HereIAm20 Wed 05-Oct-16 15:37:48

Facepalming - do it!

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 05-Oct-16 15:52:42

It seems like a not so subtle way to check out who is good and prejudiced so they can talk freely about their nasty views. I would get loud and piss everyone off, which may be why I don't have many friends. But those I have are great.

KungFuPandaWorksOut Wed 05-Oct-16 16:04:47

I personally don't know these people but if I was to comment on turning it in to a takeaway shop, I'd be meaning it sincerely and excitedly, but that's because we hardly have any takeaway shops local to me and they're all crap! Although the other comments that accompany it makes me think they wasn't being genuine and trying too be offensive sad

MarklahMarklah Wed 05-Oct-16 16:09:07

I'd probably just comment something like "Oh yes, that's a good idea. We ought to be embracing diversity."

I can't stand this sort of petty bigoted clap-trap on local sites and I tend to pull people up on it when it's touted about in a public place. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but making nasty, racist remarks is not on.

facepalming Wed 05-Oct-16 16:19:18

kungfu panda I also would never object to a take out - I love anywhere selling food lol!

I think it's a small town thing though to complain that high streets are full of take outs and charity shops.

Been quite surprised at how open people are with their racist and xenophobic views of the local groups though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now