To dislike the word "boob" used as verb?

(21 Posts)
maybethedayafter Wed 05-Oct-16 10:15:25

I'm prepared to be told I am and I don't even know what I don't like about it but I've heard someone say "I boob my baby to sleep" and "I was boobing my baby" and it makes me cringe. I don't know what bothers me about it but something does. AIBU?

badtime Wed 05-Oct-16 10:22:21

I have never heard that.

Unless you object to the old (mostly American) meaning of 'boobed' as 'made a mistake': 'He really boobed there', you don't really object to the word being used as a verb.

Excited101 Wed 05-Oct-16 10:24:29

YANBU it's unecessarily crass, you wouldn't say 'I bottled my baby to sleep', just 'fed' will do, it doesn't matter how you do it.

useyourimagination Wed 05-Oct-16 10:25:29

YANBU but I have never heard that.

maybethedayafter Wed 05-Oct-16 10:26:50

I've only seen it written - on a Facebook page which is an off topic page but connected to one for breastfeeding support. I think I might be leaving the group!

BlancheBlue Wed 05-Oct-16 10:26:54

"boobing my baby" just sounds awful - does anyone say it?

StrawberryQuik Wed 05-Oct-16 10:28:32

Hmmm...I use it. I think it's probably more accurate than fed sometimes, At home I offer DS a boob whenever he's a bit whinge/ ready for a nap. He uses it like other DC would use a dummy. There's not necessarily always milk in it though.

maybethedayafter Wed 05-Oct-16 19:39:34

I do know what you mean Strawberry, it's not always about nutrition. I think the American "nursing" is sometimes more relevant as it's not specific to providing food.

BennyTheBall Wed 05-Oct-16 19:42:07

Yuck. I have never heard that, thank God.

cardibach Wed 05-Oct-16 19:49:33

There was a thread the other day started by someone who hated the expression. I said then that it was the use of a noun as a verb I didn't like smile
YANBU.
However badtine is BU as it's clear the Op objects to the noun 'boob', slang for breast, being used as a verb, not the use of the verb to boob meaning to make an error. Two different things, as she/he very well knows.

TheFreaksShallInheritTheEarth Wed 05-Oct-16 19:51:40

I've never heard it used like that, but if I did it'd make me cringe.

YANBU

Mermaid36 Wed 05-Oct-16 19:52:48

We use it...I will tell my babies that it's time to boob, or DH will ask if they need boob not that they answer because they are 6mths old and if they are poorly I'll say that I'm boobing them. In the home environment it's just a casual/slang thing

AntiHop Wed 05-Oct-16 20:58:08

Yabu. I use it in that way. I'm on bf Facebook group when people often say 'keep on boobing' and I think it's a really cute expression.

StrongTeaHotShower Wed 05-Oct-16 21:01:10

I breastfed my daughter. I dint do shit with 'boobing'. HTH.

MaddyHatter Wed 05-Oct-16 21:03:07

the only time i've heard it is on a meme "You may be thinner, tanner and blonder than me, but i outboob you on every level"

Creatureofthenight Wed 05-Oct-16 21:06:00

YANBU I've never heard it before and like TheFreaks it just makes me feel a bit cringy.

TowerRavenSeven Wed 05-Oct-16 21:07:46

Cringeworthy.

maybethedayafter Wed 05-Oct-16 21:24:08

It probably doesn't help that I don't like "boob" or "boobie" or anything like that. Perhaps because mine are barely there. But what I do have are breasts. Even so I wouldn't say "I'm breasting my baby".

havalina1 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:27:01

I hate it too!! I see it in the context of "baby is sick but I boobed him to sleep"

No no no!

FunkinEll Wed 05-Oct-16 21:29:07

I just used to call it breastaurant no confusion then.

What about 'side boob', that's pretty annoying.

LBOCS2 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:35:10

I use it - usually to say "she needs boobing to sleep" as it makes it clear that I'm the only person who can do it.

However YANBU to dislike it. Feel free smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now