To wonder if nannies are more a "London" thing?

(81 Posts)
jessica29054 Tue 04-Oct-16 20:53:50

Nannies are often suggested on here as childcare but I don't even know one person with a nanny for their children and I live in the frozen north smile It's childminder or nursery here.

So I am idly wondering if nannies are more of a London/south east thing?

I wouldn't mind a nanny for DC (9 months) but I really don't think it's a 'thang' in these 'ere parts!

DerekSprechenZeDick Tue 04-Oct-16 20:54:51

Fellow northerner here and no nannys here either.

lifeisaconundrumattimes Tue 04-Oct-16 20:57:18

Nursery in London is so so expensive that in my experience a nanny isn't much more. Especially if you have multiple children and the need for after school clubs etc. 2 kids in after school clubs and 1 in full time nursery would probably cost the same as a nanny!

DrBronnersWorstNightmare Tue 04-Oct-16 20:58:09

Scot here and there are lots of nannies. Well to do part of Scotland though...

jessica29054 Tue 04-Oct-16 20:58:47

Same in the north.

That's not to say that nursery prices aren't more expensive in London: they are, I imagine, but certainly two children with a full time nursery place here would not leave much change from £1,500 which is probably a Nanny's wage.

I wonder if it's more due to there being an abundance of people looking for employment in London.

JassyRadlett Tue 04-Oct-16 20:59:01

It depends on the cost of alternatives, doesn't it?

Here, if you have two kids in nursery, a nanny is generally the same cost or cheaper.

Our nursery is £76/day, and is by no means the most expensive round here.

jessica29054 Tue 04-Oct-16 20:59:11

That's probably it. It's probably just for posh folk grin

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 04-Oct-16 20:59:47

I'm a nanny in Hampshire - city with good commute to London. We're everywhere grin

roomonthatbroomforme Tue 04-Oct-16 21:00:11

Nanny here in Sheffield! We are around!! I know of quite a few in Sheffield.

RiverTam Tue 04-Oct-16 21:00:22

I'm in London and I know if only ine family with a nanny (3 DC and parents have some foreign travel with work).

But I do know if a few who did nanny shares with other kids when they were very young. Basically like a cm on your own home.

FreeButtonBee Tue 04-Oct-16 21:00:54

Nanny only choice for me. I am out of the house 11 hrs a day. So nurseries don't open long enough and I'd have to dress and feed 3 kids in the morning then haul 3 kids through the rain and cold to nursery at least 20 mins walk away then reverse and bath and get them to bed in the evening. Then do all the laundry/bag packing plus cover sickness for 3 under 5/ shock

JassyRadlett Tue 04-Oct-16 21:02:41

That's not to say that nursery prices aren't more expensive in London: they are, I imagine, but certainly two children with a full time nursery place here would not leave much change from £1,500 which is probably a Nanny's wage.

A full time place for one is more than that. smile. I think when we did the sums we worked out a FT nanny would cost around _£2500 a month.

jessica29054 Tue 04-Oct-16 21:04:08

<faints>

NannyR Tue 04-Oct-16 21:04:48

I work as a nanny in west Yorkshire. I know five other nannies that I chat to in the school playground and several others I've met through playgroups etc.
I think that full time nanny jobs are getting rarer up here though, there are lots of part time and before/after school positions.

oleoleoleole Tue 04-Oct-16 21:05:50

I'm a nanny in the north, work for two families who both have three children. Much more cost effective for them, guaranteed cover when children are ill as well as childcare I cook, change beds, do family laundry and shopping etc. Basically keep,things ticking over.

Testarossa1 Tue 04-Oct-16 21:07:40

Another Nanny in Sheffield here, quite a few around here.

theheatisononthestreet Tue 04-Oct-16 21:08:59

debronners roughly where are you in Scotland?

jessica29054 Tue 04-Oct-16 21:09:06

I'm not in Sheffield.

Maybe all northern nannies live there wink

AngelBlue12 Tue 04-Oct-16 21:09:56

There are lots of nannies round Cambridge way too.

Semiskimmedgreymatter Tue 04-Oct-16 21:10:05

Does anyone know how much is an au pair in London?

BikeRunSki Tue 04-Oct-16 21:10:36

I know 2 people with nannies in Huddersfield. One is extremely well off, one works long hours with s long commute.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 04-Oct-16 21:12:27

I know quite a few families with a nanny. In Jersey here and so quite affluent. Nursery would be over £1500 pcm per child and cm for a short day for me i.e. 9pm - 4pm was around £1000 pcm.

If you have more than 1 child it really makes sense

I have a nanny in Cumbria. We're definitely not posh. For us it was the most gist effective solution for early starts.

FunkinEll Tue 04-Oct-16 21:15:03

They're becoming more and more popular in the not tooo fancy part of outer west London I live in. People with 2 or more children quite close together without family supports and where both parents work full time seem to have them. The local nurseries ask for £90+ per day, times that by 2 kids plus an older child who needs dropping to and picking up from school the it's a no brainier.

These people wouldn't be very wealthy but they also wouldn't be struggling.

Chippednailvarnishing Tue 04-Oct-16 21:18:19

One child in full time at my local nursery is £16,640 a year. When my DD came along we kidnapped employed my DS's keyworker as a nanny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now