To ask a question about plane seats??

(48 Posts)
mumtomaxwell Tue 04-Oct-16 20:47:13

Don't worry, I am fully intending to select our seats and pay the appropriate fee.... However, we've never been on a plane with the DCs before and can't decide which to choose. We are a family of 5 - children are twins age 9 and a singleton age 4 at time of flying. The plane has rows of 9 in a 3-3-3 formation. So, should we sit 5 across or 3 and 2 in front/behind. It's a relatively long flight - we're going to Canada. Any advice much appreciated!!

CatNip2 Tue 04-Oct-16 20:49:02

I would do the three in front and two behind

3luckystars Tue 04-Oct-16 20:49:34

I would sit 5 across, evryone gets one hour beside the window.
Have a great time! I Would love to visit Canada.

BigGreenOlives Tue 04-Oct-16 20:50:15

Three & two as then you'll hopefully get two windows.

TheImprobableGirl Tue 04-Oct-16 20:50:17

I'd do 3 behind and two in front

TheImprobableGirl Tue 04-Oct-16 20:50:52

Or vice versa- but still a 3/2 combo

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 04-Oct-16 20:51:25

3 and 2 - I would then try and book that the 2 were with a gap by the window or in between the seats to see if i could turn it into a 3.

BerylStreep Tue 04-Oct-16 20:51:29

I would go for two rows in front of each other.

IME airlines tend to automatically place families together anyway, so it is a bit of a waste of money to pay to book seats. But I know some people feel strongly the other way.

OlennasWimple Tue 04-Oct-16 20:51:46

I'd go for sitting behind each other:

- you know at least some of you won't have people reclining right back into your lap wink
- you will get your food at the same time (sometimes they chunk the plane up so the middle seats get their food at different times to the sides)
- more of you will get a window seat to look out at the world below

celtiethree Tue 04-Oct-16 20:51:59

We always do 3 in front 2 behind. Not sure why!! One adult in each row. For the two - window and middle, the youngest is in the two at the window and always seems to get a good sleep. Quite often to Canada as well.

GnomeDePlume Tue 04-Oct-16 20:52:23

Could you cut out this reasonableness!

I would sit in a row - sharing arm rests, getting in and out to go to the toilet, you will only have to negotiate each other.

Twofurrycats Tue 04-Oct-16 20:52:23

I would go for 5 across then you are in control of getting up and down and would have a window seat.

DeathStare Tue 04-Oct-16 20:55:09

Depends whether you want to see each other and talk to each other or not.

If you do then 5 across an aisle. If not then behind each other.

SaladDressing Tue 04-Oct-16 20:58:46

If you think that there is any chance that the 3 children might want to sit together I would go three in front and two behind. Far easier to see what is going on than to spend the flight trying to turn round to keep an eye on them.

mumtomaxwell Tue 04-Oct-16 23:19:47

Thanks all smile

Just another quickie... What's a two by two seat?? Can't find the answer on the airline website!

MidniteScribbler Wed 05-Oct-16 00:07:32

Three & two as then you'll hopefully get two windows.

No, if you go for three and two, then you get the aisle and middle. Otherwise you will end up pissing off the person stuck in the aisle because your kids will want to visit their siblings/other parent. I was the person on the aisle seat once, and ended up standing in the bulkhead for the entire flight as the ineffectual parent kept letting the kids swap around for the window seat, or hand games to each other, or want to go visit.

HeyOverHere Wed 05-Oct-16 04:18:05

3 and 2. It's much easier to talk over seats than down a row.

VioletBam Wed 05-Oct-16 04:50:32

Definitely one lot of you in front and the rest behind. It's easier to talk in a way...you and DH should take turns with the twins and then swap to sit with the older one. It will be more peaceful with the older child so should be shared. Half the journey you sit with the 9 year old and the other half he does. I've done similar journeys.

itlypocerka Wed 05-Oct-16 05:12:20

I'd go for 3 in front and 2 behind. If you're all in a row the person on the far left wold be quite far away from the person on the far right - too far to talk, whereas bunched together you can all hear each other.

I agree with midnite that it's not very kind to a fellow passenger for the 2 seats to be window and middle - the person in the aisle seat would be asked to get up several times (or could trap you in if they are an earplugs-and-sleeping-pills flyer) But equally if you go for middle and aisle the chances are that the person in the window seat will need to get up to stretch their legs or use the loo just as the child next to them has fallen asleep - probably can't win that.

ExpatTrailingSpouse Wed 05-Oct-16 05:18:21

Not sure why you mean by two by two seat - context?. I suggest you check out seatguru.com - it's fairly accurate and shows the configurations for most major airlines and routes. There is usually a description of the seat (i.e. Never book the row in front of an exit row as they don't recline, seats near toilets might be loud and smelly, etc etc). And there are often pictures and comments from travelers if it's a popular route (london to Toronto normally is). Which airline are you flying? I've done uk Canada many many times plus solo a couple times with my Ds.

TerrorAustralis Wed 05-Oct-16 05:47:49

I would go for 5 across. As others have pointed out it disturbs other passengers less.

I would only choose the other configuration if I could be sure nobody was sitting in the third seat of one row. Or if you sat towards the back where 3 narrows to 2 seats on the sides (but not all planes are laid out like that - you'd need to check seat guru).

mumtomaxwell Wed 05-Oct-16 06:35:10

Thanks for the seat guru tip - I'll have a look. The last time I flew was 10 years ago and in that time it has changed enormously!

ConvincingLiar Wed 05-Oct-16 07:02:37

We did 2 and 2 (with baby on lap) in the summer and were gutted that my parents got served food about 30-40 minutes earlier just from how they split the plane.

NicknameUsed Wed 05-Oct-16 07:19:45

"IME airlines tend to automatically place families together anyway,"

Judging from the number of threads on mumsnet about this it is clearly not the case these days.

MillionToOneChances Wed 05-Oct-16 07:26:48

I would put 3 behind and two in front as turning to talk is less comfortable that leaning forwards so I'd have fewer people doing it.

Some airlines - Virgin, for example - will also sell you that empty middle seat for a hugely reduced price, so I'd definitely consider that to keep it empty.
www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/the-virgin-experience/economy/seating/seat-plus.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now