To be scared about going to the dentist tomorrow

(15 Posts)
Showmelove68 Tue 04-Oct-16 19:38:58

I've not been for seven years and I'm so scared my teeth are going to be in such a state where they can't fix them..

lilyboleyn Tue 04-Oct-16 19:46:31

Hugs.
Do you brush your teeth daily?
I didn't go for four years and just needed two small fillings. All done pain free. So it might not be too bad.

Sn0tnose Tue 04-Oct-16 19:47:21

You will be absolutely fine! I'm sure they aren't as bad as you think they are, but even if they are, but dentists can fix or find solutions for all sorts these days.

Deep breaths, shoulders back and in you go.

GinAndOnIt Tue 04-Oct-16 19:49:02

Honestly, it will be fine. I didn't go for 10 years, and mixed with a fear of brushing (ridiculous, I know) they can't be any worse! If they can fix mine, they can fix yours. Just wear your tin hat ready for the lecture.

Showmelove68 Tue 04-Oct-16 19:52:09

Yes I brush twice a day.

foresttrees2 Tue 04-Oct-16 19:53:56

I used to hate the dentist, but mine is really friendly and makes me feel safe if that makes sense? It also the only time I ever get time to read magazines while I sit in the waiting room. I think lots of dentists are used to dealing with people who haven't been in a long time, so try not to worry too much. The other technique I have is for each dentist trip I reward myself with a treat like a new book or something. Although last time I got "expensive " air freshener for the car if that counts as a treat?!

Cellardoor23 Tue 04-Oct-16 19:57:15

When I was younger I didn't mind the dentist. I didn't love it, but I didn't have a phobia as such either.

Then I needed a root canal which they managed to balls up. It put me off going back for about two years. Thankfully my teeth weren't too bad and the new dentist I have now put me at ease when I explained what happened. No lecture. They were actually very sympathetic.

It honestly won't be as bad as you think. I know I had one terrible experience, but if you don't go at all, you can run the risk of causing more damage to something that would have been easily treatable.

maddiemookins16mum Tue 04-Oct-16 19:59:39

Me too!
Firstly, if you can, explain your background (mine was the awful history of the 1970's school dentists). Secondly, they WILL NOT do anything on a first appointment than just check your teeth
So if (just if), you are worried about that, they wont.
I never went for 5 years and needed a filling (on a different date 😄), it was done with no needle or anything.
Top tips:
I need a favourite hanky to hold
Ask them to put on the radio (I listened to Radio 2 Popmaster during mine once),
Deep breaths.
Dentists these days are amazing (as a former dental phobic I prefer my now 6 month check up to my 3 year smear test (sorry).

Showmelove68 Tue 04-Oct-16 22:39:39

Maddie the trigger was the same as you.

maddiemookins16mum Wed 05-Oct-16 11:22:22

Hope it goes ok.

TheProblemOfSusan Wed 05-Oct-16 11:50:20

Oh you poor thing, how scary. I've been there - I didn't go for 12 years. I did brush though, and reasonably healthy diet, so it wasn't awful. They found 6 very small holes which they were able to fix over two more appointments.

But the pp are right - they won't do anything but check and maaaaaybe a clean today, and they'll be able to talk to you about your options.

My dentist is a total sweetheart and is really good about me being a total baby about going - ask about things like "how should I let you know if I get distressed and need you to stop?". For me, it's all about being vulnerable in the chair position so now I know that if I signal with my right hand he'll just stop then I'm OK.

The absolute worst thing was going for the first appointment so you are being really brave and sensible and it's going to be over and done soon.

wigglesrock Wed 05-Oct-16 11:52:04

They are brilliant now, compared to what I experienced growing up in the 70s and 80s. I didn't go to the dentist for years (most of my 20s), then I had to go because of the pain. My dentist took it so easy with me, he was fab as were all the staff. I've now been going regularly for a long time, it doesn't bother me, it's not my favourite day of the week but I feel so much better for going.

If it's any reassurance I went with my sister a few days ago, she had the same frightening experiences as a child but again the pain drove her to the dentist. She was so pleased she went, she had some work done and she's got a regular schedule of appointments for a bit. But it was so much easier than she thought it was going to be, there was no judgement, no lectures, no tutting. She's not in pain anymore, her teeth weren't in as bad a condition as she feared. Fear of a dentist is a horrible thing, unfortunately a lot of people have had the same shit early life experiences but hopefully the dentist will be reassuring and helpful, they are there to help you, don't be afraid to tell them how nervous you are. Hope it goes ok.

TheProblemOfSusan Wed 05-Oct-16 11:53:08

Oh and if you have a "prop" that would comfort you that might help, like Maddie's hanky - rescue remedy or something to clutch onto?

I have been playing "anywhere but here" in my head and imagining things like being in holiday or doing a ski run or something 😊

APMom Wed 05-Oct-16 12:56:39

I had to go last week as a chunk came off a tooth while eating. They did an X-ray and decided on a root canal filling, he promised me it wouldn't hurt and it didn't. Have to say I didn't like it and shook the whole time but I managed it and have to go back on Friday for the rest of it to be done. There were no lectures!

MiddleClassProblem Wed 05-Oct-16 13:01:06

Just tell yourself if you don't go it will be worse. Whatever probs you do have can get sorted sooner rather than later and there could be no probs at all.

I did this recently after about the same amount of time. Convinced my teeth were going to all fall out etc I hadn't been great at looking after them for a few periods with MH probs but only needed one filling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now