Talk

Advanced search

Parking: taking up 2 spaces so that your doors won't get damaged.

(25 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Tue 04-Oct-16 17:06:53

Yes, it's a parking thread. Sorry.

I've noticed that in supermarket car parks near the town where I live, it is not uncommon to see a car parked straddling the line between two spaces. I had always assumed that these cars belonged to people who were very bad at parking. It doesn't cause me a massive problem because there are nearly always other spaces available and I don't mind walking a bit further to the supermarket, but it irritates me because if I'd parked that way I would get out and rectify it before I went in.

However, I've just become totally addicted to started reading the local Facebook forums for my town, and it has become clear that quite a lot of people deliberately park like this "because I worked hard to buy a nice car and I don't want my doors damaged".

I think parking like this deliberately is incredibly selfish (also I can count on one hand in 20 years of driving the number of times that my doors have been even slightly scuffed by other people's doors). But AIBU? Is this now a thing?

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Tue 04-Oct-16 17:08:41

I don't do this but I can get why it's done. I have had a big car damaged twice while parked in a supermarket car park. Cctv footage and witnesses and no police action taken. Claim on my insurance was the advice!! Why the feck should I have to??

LadyConstanceDeCoverlet Tue 04-Oct-16 17:10:23

I've been known to park next to cars that do this. Assuming that your car is so important that you can take up two spaces is extremely arrogant.

Fairylea Tue 04-Oct-16 17:10:41

It's really selfish.

On the other hand (playing devils advocate) I can see why in some circumstances it might not beneficial to some... For example my son has asd and learning difficulties and sometimes flings the car door open as he has no concept of danger / personal property etc. We can't park in parent parking and he isn't entitled to a blue badge so maybe it would be better for everyone if I parked across two spaces. But I don't. And that's not for "new car" reasons.

Fairylea Tue 04-Oct-16 17:11:06

Might be, not might not be!

Sirzy Tue 04-Oct-16 17:15:18

Fairy - why can't you use p and c spaces?

I use them with ds, for the same reason, and also still have child locks on so he can't fling it open even if he tries!

MaxPepsi Tue 04-Oct-16 17:25:12

I don't do it but understand why others would.
Some kind soul has caused several hundreds of pounds worth of damage to my car and fucked off leaving me to foot the bill!

OSETmum Tue 04-Oct-16 17:28:56

Well it is selfish but it's also selfish to fking your car doors into other people's cars or to park so close to the edge of your space that other people do not have room to get into their car properly.

NavyandWhite Tue 04-Oct-16 17:32:02

When I'm in the Discovery I park further away from where it's very busy because I don't want the doors marked. Wouldn't dream of straddling two spaces!

northernmonkey1010 Tue 04-Oct-16 17:34:26

They could possibly be disabled and there are no disabled parking spaces just a thought.

northernmonkey1010 Tue 04-Oct-16 17:34:35

They could possibly be disabled and there are no disabled parking spaces just a thought.

northernmonkey1010 Tue 04-Oct-16 17:34:45

ZedWoman Tue 04-Oct-16 17:35:08

Some car parks have ridiculously small spaces. Our local sports centre is a perfect example. Our last car got scratched all down the side when we parked there.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 04-Oct-16 17:40:25

I can see why someone might do it if they needed a lot of space to get out but weren't for some reason entitled to a blue badge, so that's a fair point. But so far no one has said that. Basically people keep posting photos of badly parked cars and whenever this sort of parking is posted quite a few people will come on and say they park like that themselves because "my car is lovely and I don't want it damaged".

BombadierFritz Tue 04-Oct-16 17:42:30

usually you can still fit in next to them, it just unfortunately leaves them no space to get in on one side of their car. shrug.

ElsieMc Tue 04-Oct-16 17:43:00

I have only ever done this when our neighbours continually parked on our private land in front of our home. For some reason, the strip of land belonged to us, confirmed by our solicitor. They had a driveway which would hold around 5 cars but could not be bothered to drive round the back to park. I would come home from work and not be able to park near my own home on my own land.

Decided to take some action. I knew she started work around 7.30 am so I came home, saw them parked there (it was pouring with rain) and I parked completely across the back of both their cars so they could not move. I ignored the hammering on my door at 7 am.

Notmorecake Tue 04-Oct-16 17:51:33

Cars have got bigger . Parking spaces haven't.... unless you are parking at Serpentine Green Peterborough where the all parking spaces have been marked out much bigger than average.

My EXH brand new car ( which he worked hard for) was damaged by a car door within days of being parked. ( not that this bothers me anymoregrin.

My frail dad struggles getting out of the car without the door being fully open, impossible in a normal space.

My DC's still haven't got the concept of opening car door carefully without bashing the car next to us. I make them sit tight and supervise their exit.

And why oh why in a half empty car park do I always come back to someone parked right next to me , or even more annoying parking right next to me before we have exited our vehicle.

I don't take up two spaces buy for all of the above I can see why people do.

Parking spaces need to be made bigger to accommodate the fact the average car is now bigger with wider doors.

ParForTheCourses Tue 04-Oct-16 18:27:54

It's irritating especially in small car parks but I can understand that other people just don't give a damn about other cars and damage them.

Also as someone with a big bump now it's so irritating when you park dead center in your space and an idiot parks over the line into your space and leaves no room. I still wouldn't take two spaces but I did have swear words when I got stuck.

Sedona123 Tue 04-Oct-16 18:29:01

All that Notmorecake said.

I recently bought a new car, always park at the far end of the car park with at least 20 empty spaces around my car. In the 3 mins it takes me to buy a ticket and walk back, 95% of the time some twunt has parked right next to my car. Why would you do that? 😡

dementedma Tue 04-Oct-16 18:34:36

Just park right up next to them on the driver's side.

bumsexatthebingo Tue 04-Oct-16 18:41:12

If your child flings open the door then you need child locks so you have to open the door from the outside.

isittheholidaysyet Tue 04-Oct-16 18:59:13

I can totally understand it, though I don't do it.

I hold the door for my kids getting out, putting my hand on the door so it's my hand which contacts the car in the next space, but many spaces are so small there is not enough room for the child to exit the car whilst I'm standing there.

KidLorneRoll Tue 04-Oct-16 19:03:59

It's a dick move in busy carparks. In quiet corners of supermarkets I don't mind, but the people who take up two spaces in overflowing train station and cinema carparks are selfish pricks.

flumpybear Tue 04-Oct-16 19:17:36

My brother does this .... though right at the back of the car park .... he has expensive cars clearly no kids!! And he swears it's the only way to stop massive paint damage costs .... well slightly less often than the usual trip of the chips repair man wink

DesertIslandPenguin Tue 04-Oct-16 19:32:18

I've seen plenty of people do this, creating their own special space. The parking guys at our supermarket carpark put those horrible stickers on the window, so they probably don't do it more than once?

I am also frequently a victim of people parking right beside me in empty parts of car parks. I was not impressed to have to climb over the gearstick to get into the drivers seat the last time it happened. It's some sort of bizarre herding instinct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now