AIBU to even hope?

(6 Posts)
Hairyhat Mon 03-Oct-16 23:20:10

I need your help/advice please.
I would love another baby. I am 43 and have started the menopause perhaps 2 years ago. (That's when I had my coil removed and my periods disappeared. My doctor did a blood test and confirmed I was menopausal). I would be able to pay for IVF. Is it possible for me (and my wonderful childless partner) to have a child? I have recently had 2 consecutive periods and it has given me such hope. Am I deluding myself? Am I being completely unreasonable?

WorraLiberty Mon 03-Oct-16 23:35:04

You honestly need to go back to your doctor and ask them.

All anyone here can do is (with the best of intentions) give you little anecdotes, that may well give you false hope.

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Mon 03-Oct-16 23:38:33

What Worra said. I'm afraid all experience you hear recounted here, all messages of hope you're given, will be completely irrelevant to you and your situation. I started TTCing at 34 with everything apparently functioning as it should, but never had a sniff of a BFP. Someone else will tell you they conceived at 45 with no problems. You need to find out for yourself. Good luck.

FleurThomas Tue 04-Oct-16 05:41:24

If you don't mind using donor eggs (many clinics make menopausal women of any age use them) then do it.

quasibex Tue 04-Oct-16 08:11:36

Medically it's amazing what can be achieved...my friend born without ovaries had a beautiful child thanks to a donor egg from a family member. But I know it took years and quite a few failed attempts. She was around 24 when she started trying so she had plenty of time on her side and a fair amount of determination.

The only people who can give you a confident prediction of how likely IVF would work for you and how long it may take are medical professionals. Everything else is just stories. Get yourself in their system and see what they say.

Beat of luck.

Hairyhat Tue 04-Oct-16 09:40:35

Thank you for your replies. I think I just needed to know if it was possible. I thought there was absolutely no chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now