Talk

Advanced search

To be cross with the parents who park over our drive

(127 Posts)
Crispspsps Mon 03-Oct-16 22:42:02

We live opposite a private Catholic co-ed school. It seems like an ok school from what i have read. There is a main entrance on a main road, but there's a back entrance opposite our house. Every morning between 7.30 and 8.45 there is a continuous series of cars that stop over our drive to let their kids out, blocking the path, and almost continuous traffic up our road.. Then there are others who at 3pm park over our driveway for 10 or 15 minutes while they go in and do whatever and we can't get into our drive. I emailed the school about this last year and got a very nice reply that they would ask parents to be more considerate, but nothing has changed. I walk my kids to school each morning. I know everyone can't, but am pissed off with the traffic in my residential road because of this school, It's a small street. I don't want my 4yo to be smacked in the head by a Range Rover door opening, like he was this morning. Yes, I know I will get biscuits for this, but FFS it pisses me off.

ItWentInMyEye Mon 03-Oct-16 22:44:44

Could you not park across your own drives at drop off/pick up times?

gallicgirl Mon 03-Oct-16 22:49:06

No. Yanbu.

I have to drive my DD to school and I'm always very careful where I park. As far as I can tell, all the other parents park considerately too..... apart from the entitled idiots who park in the restricted area which prohibits parking during school run times.

Try taking photos and emailing school every time. Unfortunately there's not a lot they can do about volume of traffic. You could check local by-laws to see if parking over an empty driveway is prohibited but I'm fairly sure it's not prohibited in the Highway Code.

I know some will argue that you knew the school was there when you purchased the property and should therefore expect parking issues, but equally I think you ought to be able to expect common courtesy too.

PippaFawcett Mon 03-Oct-16 22:50:15

Kick up a stink with the school and tell them to not let parents access the school via the back entrance.

FleurThomas Mon 03-Oct-16 22:50:54

Put up a fence?

t4nut Mon 03-Oct-16 22:53:04

Seriously....

What powers do you think the school has over a public road? THEY CAN DO NOTHING.

I'd plonk my car over the drive. Or stand there during drop off time giving people the evils

Andrewofgg Mon 03-Oct-16 22:55:42

Block your own drive. It's a PITA but it's the least worst choice.

Couchpotato3 Mon 03-Oct-16 22:57:49

I've never understood why people recommend that you park over your own driveway - the other drivers won't know that it's your car, and it surely just gives the impression that it is OK to park there? Wouldn't you be better off putting out some cones, or a notice to make it clear that you need access to your driveway. I would also email the school and complain again. There's not much they can do, but if you make a fuss about your child getting hurt, they will probably contact their parents again and it may help for a while.
Is the fact that it is a "private Catholic co-ed" school relevant? Just wondering why you added that detail.

t4nut Mon 03-Oct-16 22:59:39

So couch your answer is to waste the schools time over something they have no control or authority over?

mintthins Mon 03-Oct-16 23:00:02

Obviously YANBU. It if your DC has been injured that is truly dreadful. However in all seriousness are they genuinely causing you anything other than irritation? They cannot possibly all be RR drivers. Even in a terribly affluent area there will be other cars. You do your argument no favours selecting one car to direct your ire towards.

Rattusn Mon 03-Oct-16 23:02:39

Can you put cones over your driveway?

That would at least be a deterrent.

Yanbu. Many parents doing school runs park like entitled arses. I got a lot of abuse for trying to raise the issue with my local school. It was a danger to local children, but the school didn't do anything until pressurised. Also a Catholic school.

Ditsy4 Mon 03-Oct-16 23:05:48

And that makes a difference because...

mycatstares Mon 03-Oct-16 23:06:56

Put a sign up saying no parking £5 fine, with fake(but look real) security camerasgrin

Couchpotato3 Mon 03-Oct-16 23:08:45

The school may have no direct control or authority, but they can certainly ask their parents to be more considerate towards their neighbours. My children attended various schools in residential areas where the parking was difficult, and a lot of parents were very inconsiderate and couldn't be bothered walking a little extra distance. We regularly had reminders/requests from school about parking, so clearly the neighbours who complained had some effect on the school, and the school considered it worthwhile to at least try and influence the parents' behaviour.
The school will have at least some interest in keeping their neighbours happy, for the sake of their general reputation, and who knows what plans they may have in future that might require the neighbours' co-operation e.g. planning permissions etc that could be blocked by disgruntled neighbours. So in short, I don't think it's wasting their time, and it IS worth contacting the school again.

MadamDrag0n Mon 03-Oct-16 23:10:32

Never mind road rage I get total parking rage. I'd quite happily have a no car law within 200 metres of schools. We have idiots who think it's a great idea to drive up a narrow residential street, drop off right at the gate and then do a three point turn at the gate whilst there are children everywhere knobheads

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 03-Oct-16 23:10:46

Put a sign up saying no parking £5 fine, with fake(but look real) security cameras

Oooh or a no parking wheel clamping in operation then buy a clamp.
Think how much money you could make

EatsShitAndLeaves Mon 03-Oct-16 23:19:50

My DS's primary had this issue from a small minority of parents (not me - we were walkers!).

They sent out many letters but the same entitled twats parents paid no attention.

In the end the HT/DHT ended up patrolling the two parking black spots morning and afternoon for about a month and tacked the offending parents directly (but politely), stating the impact on the school's reputation etc

It stamped it out for a while but I've heard they have had to do it again a few times to re-enforce - though they were helped by the PTA who threatened to take photos and "shame" on the school FB page....

LyndaNotLinda Mon 03-Oct-16 23:20:09

If your driveway is regularly being blocked, the council may come and paint an H bar over the dropped kerb. You'll need to photograph and record the incidences.

And if your car is on the driveway and someone parks over it, call 101. Every single time.

FrancisCrawford Mon 03-Oct-16 23:23:09

Contact your local councillor and make them aware of safety concerns. scotland has started banning cars outside schools.
www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/13564781.Traffic_ban_outside_Haddington_schools_made_permanent/
and www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34321010

DixieWishbone Mon 03-Oct-16 23:24:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Brandnewiggi Mon 03-Oct-16 23:26:46

I've seen the head at my son's school out in the street taking photos of illegally parked cars. According to the newsletter he is passing them to the police.

bluebellsparklypants Mon 03-Oct-16 23:31:48

Did it occur to you at all when you moved there that there would be traffic from the school? Would of thought that would of been obvious. However there was no accounting for the selfish parkers I suppose.
We all want to make sure our darlings get to school (safely) but there's no excuse for selfishness.

Not sure what your answer is though, complain to the school again, put a sign up saying drive in constant use, cones. Does it affect your neighbours? Could you club together and lobby the council for your road to become permit parking?

Andrewofgg Mon 03-Oct-16 23:35:34

If you move near a school you expect congestion at pick-up and drop-off times but drives actually blocked by cars left unattended is a step too far. Blocking your own drive menas that if you need to go out you can.

Puff42 Mon 03-Oct-16 23:38:22

My head went out and asked 6 cars to move because they were illegally blocking drives. She was called lots of things including racist. hmm Now she just calls the police and reports the cars, giving registration numbers if she has them.

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Mon 03-Oct-16 23:48:39

Take photos of the offending vehicle each and everytime it happens. Send to the school, the LEA, the parking enforcement team at the council and your local MP each and everytime it happens. Make them take notice.

Also post them on the school's FB page and tweet at them with the image, number plate and date.

Keep badgering them, make it a daily occurrence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now