Talk

Advanced search

To think they should have called an ambulance

(37 Posts)
JunosRevenge Mon 03-Oct-16 20:34:45

My 15yo DS witnessed Boy 1 headbutt Boy 2 at school today. He said that Boy 2 collapsed and was unresponsive for a few minutes. My DS tried to rouse Boy 2 and took him to the medical room. When he 'came to', Boy 2 said that he couldn't remember the headbutt.

DS said that school didn't call an ambulance. That just doesn't seem right to me - AIBU?

NC for this one in case anyone else from DS's school is on MN...

Littlepeople12345 Mon 03-Oct-16 20:37:14

That's bloody shocking. Is be keeping ds away from Boy1.

Notsure1234 Mon 03-Oct-16 20:38:19

No yanbu

blueskyinmarch Mon 03-Oct-16 20:41:10

That doesn’t sound like it needed ambulance. Boy 2 had been roused and was speaking. He probably needed checking over but he wasn’t in a critical condition.

Salmotrutta Mon 03-Oct-16 20:50:02

I'm not sure an ambulance was required but he should have been taken to a GP/hospital to get checked.

Threebedsemii Mon 03-Oct-16 20:50:14

Well I imagine he needed to go to hospital yes, but why by ambulance? A teacher could've driven him, as he didn't need emergency medical treatment from what you've said

wheresthel1ght Mon 03-Oct-16 20:52:55

Yes yabu. It wasn't an emergency the school will have contacted boy 2's parents and advised he is checked over but absolutely no need for an ambulance

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Mon 03-Oct-16 20:53:23

If he really was unconscious and couldn't be woken for several minutes then he needed medical treatment, and fairly sharpish. I would be furious if that were my son.

Gabilan Mon 03-Oct-16 20:57:21

He needed to go to A&E. They take head injuries very seriously. However , it would probably have been better to be driven there than get an ambulance.

flanjabelle Mon 03-Oct-16 21:00:03

Did the boy go to a and e? An ambulance wasn't really necessary, but he should have gone to hospital.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Mon 03-Oct-16 21:00:19

Wait, my response was too ambiguous. This is one of the few situations that an ambulance would be entirely appropriate and I am shocked that they didn't call one.

JunosRevenge Mon 03-Oct-16 21:01:27

I was just a bit worried that he seems to have lost consciousness. DS had to give a witness statement to say what he had seen. He said that Boy 1 is frequently in scrapes. This one occurred because some other boys pushed boy 2 (who sadly is not popular)into boy 1 (short fuse) to get a rise out of him. Boy 1 is frequently excluded due to frequent fights. DS is v upset about the whole thing.

JunosRevenge Mon 03-Oct-16 21:03:27

If it was my DS who was knocked out, I would've been furious if they hadn't called an ambulance tbh...

londonrach Mon 03-Oct-16 21:05:50

Op....please let boy 2 parents know. He needs to be seen in hospital asap to make sure he ok. As for boy 1 thats up to school to sort but if my ds was there id tell him to avoid boy 1. If nothing else boy 2 needs to see someone medically trained before going to sleep tonight!

paulapantsdown Mon 03-Oct-16 21:06:20

I am school welfare and I wouldn't have called an Ambulance, because they would not have come for an hour unless someone is having breathing problems.

I would however have had his parent collect him straight away and brought him to A&E myself and meet them there if they were going to be longer than 30 minutes.

No fucking about with a head injury.

LurkingHusband Mon 03-Oct-16 21:07:17

No fucking about with a head injury.

This.

paulapantsdown Mon 03-Oct-16 21:08:03

Also, senior staff would have been notified immediately and the boy who headbutted would be facing very serious sanctions.

JunosRevenge Mon 03-Oct-16 21:09:34

I don't know his parents :-(

I will see if my DS can message him. Might be difficult because he's not in my DS's friendship group.

blueskyinmarch Mon 03-Oct-16 21:10:00

OP do you know what action they took with boy 2? You are relying on what your DS has told you, which is fine, but it is likely they got the relevant medical attention for boy 2 without the need for an ambulance. Do you know what action they took?

Threebedsemii Mon 03-Oct-16 21:10:14

I think you're maybe hanging onto the ambulance idea, but it's not relevant. He needed medical treatment. How he got to the hospital is irrelevant. Ambulances are for people who need immediate treatment during the journey. What could a paramedic do immediately for concussion? Nothing.

EweAreHere Mon 03-Oct-16 21:12:14

I would be furious that they didn't call in paramedics to at least have a look at him before parents could get there. If he lost consciousness, he likely has a concussion and needs to be looked at.

I hope Boy 1 is excluded.

LadyStoic Mon 03-Oct-16 21:15:48

'No fucking about with a head injury'

YY to that and in fucking spades. He needs to be checked by medical professionals; likewise school needs to be advised he can't (by way of EG) play any contact sports for X weeks (IIRC, DS could not play any contact sport for 3 weeks), and they also need to be aware for in event he has any kind of second head wallop in upcoming weeks as that 'compounding' of an initial concussion - which is what he WILL have if was actually unconscious - can be fatal.

Baffled at the posters saying no to ambulance being called as whilst he was out cold that's the very first thing they should have done. Agree that once awake and vital signs looking ok would be fine someone just taking him, but clearly at the point he was unconscious they surely would have not had a clue when/if he was going to come round?

I'd be really concerned at their handling of this OP.

Does Boy2's DM/DF actually know this has happened and her son still needs medical attention?

GreatFuckability Mon 03-Oct-16 21:16:13

i'd say the nasty little shits who delibrately set one child up to lose his rag on another child they know to be more vulnerable are the ones to be avoided myself.
I agree he needs medical attention, but not an ambulance.

Optimist3 Mon 03-Oct-16 21:17:49

Can you ring the school to say your don is worried and that you are concerned that boy2 didn't receive enough care post incident

GreatFuckability Mon 03-Oct-16 21:18:12

my son at age 2 ran into a wall and was out cold for around 30 secs. i took him straight to a&e, by which point he was acting like nothing had happened. I was sent home with a sheet of things to look out for. there was no mention of a definite concussion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now