Talk

Advanced search

To find the phrase "welcome to my world" bloody annoying?

(20 Posts)
roarfeckingroar Mon 03-Oct-16 20:25:38

It's always said in a smug or martyrish way. For example, at work earlier: colleague A "last week was tough, I was here late every day because of X project", colleague B: "ha, welcome to my world".

Argh! Yes because working late is your thing, you're the only one who has ever worked late.

I find it more annoying than the bastard love child of "I'll send you an invite" and "would/should of".

AIBU?

MuseumOfCurry Mon 03-Oct-16 20:27:18

It's not nearly as clever as the speaker intends.

WhooooAmI24601 Mon 03-Oct-16 20:28:18

I don't know anyone who uses it, but it sounds like patronising shite.

ofhorse Mon 03-Oct-16 20:30:48

Yanbu- it drives me mad. And diminishes what, e.g. colleague A was saying

Oysterbabe Mon 03-Oct-16 20:32:50

It's just their way of saying "me too". I don't see the harm.

DixieWishbone Mon 03-Oct-16 20:34:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

roarfeckingroar Mon 03-Oct-16 20:53:31

Ofhorse- that's exactly it: it diminishes the hard work/stress whatever is the other person. It's like saying "yeah, I do that all the time, you're nothing special".

Just annoying.

Sparklingbrook Mon 03-Oct-16 20:55:10

I say it to my teens. A lot. To annoy them. It works.

OhhBetty Mon 03-Oct-16 20:58:48

Yanbu. A couple of my colleagues say it and it pisses me off no end! I also hate "welcome to parenting"

OhTheRoses Mon 03-Oct-16 21:00:57

Checks self.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 03-Oct-16 21:01:01

I think it's usually meant in a self-deprecating, empathetic way, like "I understand, my life is that crap every day," sort of thing. That's how I take it anyway.

potentialqualms Mon 03-Oct-16 21:02:46

I'm not sure that particular phrase bothers me in itself but it does annoy me when I'm offloading (moaning) and the other person has to prove that they're actually far worse off. I know my life's not terrible but let me have a moment to feel sorry for myself without turning it into a competition.

Me: I've had a sore throat all day
DH: Me too and a banging headache

Me: DS was up 17 times in the night
Friend: Try it when you have two of them getting up every night.

roarfeckingroar Mon 03-Oct-16 21:26:19

Potential - I also hate that. Why do people do it?

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Mon 03-Oct-16 21:28:57

It annoys people because it makes them realise they're banging on about something, generally in a poor-me this has never happened to anyone ever except ME way, and have been made to see, that actually, it happens to other people too.

That's why it's annoying. Because it's always said to self-obsessed whiners.

BellaGoth Mon 03-Oct-16 21:29:44

Dixie I love that you've categorised red velvet cupcakes as a meal! That's my kind of dinner.

roarfeckingroar Mon 03-Oct-16 21:37:27

I can't agree ThenLater. It's just someone making the conversation about them.

TheNaze73 Mon 03-Oct-16 21:41:50

YANBU, used by the sort of jizzpenguin that arrives back off of holiday to 9787 emails and tells the whole world. It boils my piss too OP. Martyr's...

roarfeckingroar Mon 03-Oct-16 21:53:27

JizzPenguin. Brilliant

ofhorse Mon 03-Oct-16 22:05:08

Yy to making the conversation about them! I'm thinking in the context of work colleagues in particular here too... rather, one patronising colleague in particular!!

DixieWishbone Mon 03-Oct-16 23:06:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now