To ask if your baby cries or screams whilst asleep

(12 Posts)
rogertherabbit Mon 03-Oct-16 15:13:53

So I have a 5 month old, she sleeps well generally but most nights she will suddenly start crying without prior warning. It's like she is having a bad dream or something, it's quite a piercing cry. By the time we've sat up and started talking to her, she's stopped and seems to be asleep again. Generally does it once per night at random times, never actually wakes up with it though

Anyone else have a baby that does this? Anything we can do to stop her getting so upset?

Thanks

phillipp Mon 03-Oct-16 15:20:23

Both mine did.

Dds was random times so we just comforted her and put her back to bed.

Ds did it at the same time each night. So I got up half an hour before and waited for him to get restless then half woke him. Dh then did the next night, after a week it stopped.

Although I walk and talk in my sleep and both the kids do now (12 and 5), i often wonder if it's connected. Like a baby version of sleep talking.

Palegreenstars Mon 03-Oct-16 15:21:49

My 5 month old does this - assume it's a nightmare. I normally wait a minute or so but the cry is so different I can tell the difference.

Mozfan1 Mon 03-Oct-16 15:23:23

Aye my 9 month old has always done this- he lets out a cry/scream type thing then seems to just fall straight back to sleep

Mouikey Mon 03-Oct-16 15:25:05

My 10 week old does this on occasion - generally followed by a fart or poop!!! She doesn't wake up, just screams or cries!!! Very unladylike of her 😉

newmumwithquestions Mon 03-Oct-16 15:27:47

Yes. Both mine do - DD no 1 especially. It's short lived, I just leave her to it as if there's anything wrong she uses a different cry. i don't know what it is but like others have said I assume it's dreaming

melibu84 Mon 03-Oct-16 15:29:41

My DS has started doing this. It seems to be random times, but perfectly timed for when I am starting to fall asleep :D

melibu84 Mon 03-Oct-16 15:29:41

My DS has started doing this. It seems to be random times, but perfectly timed for when I am starting to fall asleep :D

StrawberryQuik Mon 03-Oct-16 15:32:45

Mine does (6 months). I think it might be teeth related. Sometimes the big daffy decides to also try and learn to crawl while fast asleep.

I boot DH out of bed so I can co-sleep and cuddle/stroke DS.

Witchend Mon 03-Oct-16 15:40:36

Dd2 used to have tempertantrums in her sleep. As she got older you'd hear her scream "I don't want to go in the buggy!" [grin[

liquidrevolution Mon 03-Oct-16 15:43:44

My 2 year old DD does this when she turns over in bed. Annoying as it wakes me up but she doesnt seem to wake at all.

rogertherabbit Mon 03-Oct-16 15:49:05

Ah, mine is teething too so perhaps it could be related to that... I hope it stops soon, she sounds so distressed when she does it, poor thing sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now