Talk

Advanced search

Muslin Cot Sheets

(20 Posts)
user1475496729 Mon 03-Oct-16 13:19:44

Hi all! So I'm expecting pretty soon and wondering whether to buy some muslin cot sheets from Aiden and Anais... They are pretty expensive... around about £24 pound for one sheet. I understand the muslin as a square for swaddling and mopping up spills... but are cot sheets of the same material a waste of money?! there seem like some cheaper options which could be just as good.... Thoughts?

DetailedConfusion Mon 03-Oct-16 13:23:45

My thoughts are that over my dead body would I pay 24 quid for a single cot sheet grin It will get sicked and pooed on just as quickly as the £5 equivalent. There are somethings i'd splurge on but sheets are not one of them.

But it's the same as anything - if you can afford it comfortably and the thought of spending it doesn't stick in your throat, get them. If you're going to be eating beans on toast because you just spend £100 on some squares of fabric, you want your head testing.

rightsofwomen Mon 03-Oct-16 13:31:27

What is the benefit of muslin over regular cotton, for a sheet?

Notso Mon 03-Oct-16 13:32:42

Aside from drying quickly I can't see any benefit to cot sheets being muslin assuming they are being used as a bottom sheet. Might be handy as a light cover in hot weather.
I did use big muslins as sheets in the Moses basket because I couldn't find fitted sheets big enough and I had loads of them.

If you really love them though have a look in TK Maxx first I've bought Aden and Anais sleeping bags and muslins from there for a couple of quid in the sale. I've seen sheets there too.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Mon 03-Oct-16 13:34:05

Can't think of any reason muslin sheets would be better than cotton. As pp have said, if you can afford them and want them by all means buy them, but ordinary sheets will do the job just as well!

Sassypants82 Mon 03-Oct-16 13:34:32

I would think muslin would be abrasive & too stiff for a sheet. Grand for mopping up but wouldn't want to sleep on it.

DowntonDiva Mon 03-Oct-16 13:35:42

I use their swaddle blankets as the cot sheet. I wouldn't buy the specific sheet as the swaddles are huge and very versatile!

Konyaa Mon 03-Oct-16 13:40:36

We got a bunch of soft and washed many times over mothercare sheets off eBay. They'd been washed so many times they were soft and comfy.

In my home country babies are dressed in clothes ditched out of used and washed to softness sarees.

Will never quite understand the fancy stuff for sicky screaming things like babies.

user1475496729 Mon 03-Oct-16 13:56:59

interesting to here what you guys think... i was told that they are really breathable and thought this this was the most important aspect... what would you guys look for in a baby cot sheet?

rightsofwomen Mon 03-Oct-16 14:10:25

Cotton is breathable. I would look for one which fitted well ie elastic edged, and washed well ie didn't bobble.

Fluffsnuts Mon 03-Oct-16 14:11:04

A baby cot sheet is pretty breathable regardless!

IrrelevantSquirrel Mon 03-Oct-16 14:17:10

I've used muslin sheets as a swaddle for both my kids, they worked really well. You don't need to pay that much though. Mine were from tkmaxx, no idea what brand.

IrrelevantSquirrel Mon 03-Oct-16 14:21:43

Just used normal fitted cotton sheets to cover cot mattress though. Quick and easy to change and wash.

eggyface Mon 03-Oct-16 14:58:00

Soft brushed cotton. I had some unbleached organic ones for my pfb but really any kind will be fine.

Tiptoethr0ughthetulips Mon 03-Oct-16 15:00:46

Just fitted brushed cotton cot/cradle sheets. You can get them cheap as chips from supermarket, you will need many.

newmumwithquestions Mon 03-Oct-16 15:03:31

Just go for natural materials rather than synthetic ie cotton sheets.

newmumwithquestions Mon 03-Oct-16 15:08:08

Oh and get cot mattress protectors!
Stopping poo, wee and vomit soaking into the mattress is more important than having a designer sheet.
If money is no object then muslin sheets are probably lovely. Dd has a light summer sleeping bag that's muslin and it feels lovely in claggy weather, but they are really really far from essential.

RainbowSpiral Mon 03-Oct-16 15:10:32

I'd use the money to buy a number of sets of normal cotton cot sheets. Then if you get a sicky baby you can change the sheets frequently even if you are behind on the washing.

Youremywifenow Mon 03-Oct-16 15:22:34

TK Maxx have lots of these type giant muslins in store. I've founds loads of lovely ones in clearance for £5-8 for the 3 packs.
I'd get a few packs of these and put them over the top of the sheet. If the baby is sick, you can just take it off rather than having to change the sheet in the middle of the night.

I've never bought proper sheets for moses basket or pram btw, pillow cases fit perfectly.

Youremywifenow Mon 03-Oct-16 15:23:51

Forgot link:
www.tkmaxx.com/nursery/three-white-bubble-pattern-muslin-blankets/invt/72585776

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now