We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to have a rant about homework

(15 Posts)
enolagayits0815 Sun 02-Oct-16 18:50:05

DD is in the last year before going to high school, she doesn't particularly like school (any school) but works hard because she knows the teacher expects it and wants to do well.

The fly in the ointment is homework. Her school have announced that they will not be marking the homework. DD has just done her maths homework, it's untidy and she's rushed it and has looked up some of the answers online because she didn't understand it. She's written on her sheet that she doesn't understand it but the teacher won't even look it at. This was confirmed at the recent meeting for parents about the year.

She's not impressed, I'm even less than impressed. Surely the teachers should be marking the homework that they are getting the children to do? I'm concerned that DD will get (or already has got) a bad attitude to homework and will go to high school thinking she can hand in shoddy homework because the teachers don't look at it.

Selfimproved Sun 02-Oct-16 18:54:11

Schools attitude is a bit weird, but you and your daughter aren't slaves to the school. Rise above it. You can tell her she has to do it properly or she wont get XYZ. If you haven't got time to check answers, at least you can see if it's well presented. It might teach her to do well for her own sake rather than to get acknowledgement from teacher / peers.
I do think the schools attitude is odd though.

olderthanyouthink Sun 02-Oct-16 18:57:14

What's the point of setting homework if they aren't going to check it?
Embarrassed:

olderthanyouthink Sun 02-Oct-16 18:57:46

confused not emberrassed

chitofftheshovel Sun 02-Oct-16 18:59:02

Wow, that's shit to not mark homework, where is the incentive to do it.

I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying that homework is not compulsory for children at primary...maybe explain this to her, have a year out of homework (but do your own stuff at home) but tell her that secondary school homework is obligitory and to a high standard.

Or speak to the school about your concerns.

thehugemanatee Sun 02-Oct-16 18:59:13

Don't blame her. It's hard to find the motivation to work just for the sake of working when you know it's not even going to be looked at.

nonline Sun 02-Oct-16 21:34:39

Not sure what the benefit to either student or teacher is here - student can't learn from unmarked work (what if they think e.g. all sums are all right but wrong?) and teacher can't pick up on errors and how to improve (which is part of the point, surely?).

t4nut Sun 02-Oct-16 22:21:22

I'm guessing the staff have had enough of 70-80 hour weeks and put their feet down.

ollieplimsoles Sun 02-Oct-16 22:26:16

Why is she complaining? She doesn't have to do it now!

Shes not even in high school yet! Id be letting her take a break.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 02-Oct-16 23:34:12

With attitudes like thst from the school. I wouldnt be suprised and nor would i blame your dd if she stopped making an effort. How on earth can adults honestly expect children to put in effort. When they clearly can't be bothered.
Talk about practice what you preach.
So they do their homework and get no recognition. Very unfair

Philoslothy Sun 02-Oct-16 23:37:07

The school could use Sam Learning or an equivalent that marks it.

enolagayits0815 Mon 03-Oct-16 06:31:05

I'm not blaming her at all, I'm annoyed with the school. If the teachers are fed up with long weeks then they need to find something else to cut back on, marking homework is a fundamental part of the job and I'd rather they did that than put up pretty displays.

OwlinaTree Mon 03-Oct-16 06:49:56

The problem with homework is that it doesn't tell you much as you don't know how much help the Children have had. Lots of teachers only set it because they have to. I don't agree with not making it though.

OwlinaTree Mon 03-Oct-16 06:50:26

Marking not making sorry.

hyperhypermum Mon 03-Oct-16 07:12:47

DC's school have a habit of setting big projects for school holidays that need lots of parental input, then never look at them. This time I put my foot down and refused to do it. Guess what? No one has even noticed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now