Talk

Advanced search

To think I shouldn't have been dropped from this shift ?

(5 Posts)
user1475402703 Sun 02-Oct-16 11:34:28

I've just started some casual work at a company that does stocktaking in shops. They pick you up in a company minibus and then go to a different shop on each shift which lasts as long as it takes to complete the job. Shifts are decided a few weeks in advance. I was due to work today. I get a text from the driver before each shift to confirm the pick up time as a heads up, although the times are already known a few weeks prior when you agree to do the shift.

So yesterday I got a text saying 'Sunday pickup at your pickup point Sunday 2.30- drivers name ' , as normal , then shortly after

'Hi, change for Sunday pickup was 2.30 now 1.30 - drivers name'
I just read it and thought OK and didn't think anything of it.

Then this morning I went downstairs left my phone in my room and didn't check it until 10. By that point I had a text from 8.30 saying
' New pickup time at 1.30 please confirm you are working today-drivers name' and then the next saying
'sorry had no reply had to replace you'

I rang the driver who said I should have responded to the 'Hi, change for Sunday pickup was 2.30 now 1.30 - drivers name' text to confirm I could still do the shift, but it didn't say please confirm and I just thought it was rhetorical factual information about the pickup time for the shift since it's already been arranged 2 weeks in advance.

AIBU to think replacing me for the shift was harsh? Obviously if it said please confirm I would have immediately responded but usually they're just heads up texts and I wrongfully didn't think they expected a reply.

Gizlotsmum Sun 02-Oct-16 11:40:19

Tricky. The text this morning asked for confirmation, I can see why they replaced you from that one. You weren't asked to confirm yesterday. Maybe clarify when the want confirmation.

StealthPolarBear Sun 02-Oct-16 11:43:33

How long was between the last two texts?
That is pretty crap of them op, sorry.

user1475402703 Sun 02-Oct-16 11:50:53

Yh I appreciate that I was asked to confirm at 8.30 this morning but since the shift was already arranged and I had had a reminder I wasn't expecting the text otherwise I would make sure I had my phone on me. In future i'll just reply to everything to be safe. But it was only a follow up text from the day before, the ' Hi, change for Sunday pickup was 2.30 now 1.30 - drivers name', which was where I made a mistake in thinking it was only factual as it was a slight change in pre-arranged shift and didn't ask for confirmation. There was an hour between the texts this morning while I was downstairs.

StealthPolarBear Sun 02-Oct-16 12:00:07

An hour?? That is crap. Complain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now