Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want a change of career

(11 Posts)
Unicorn1981 Sun 02-Oct-16 00:22:20

Hi I've been a credit controller for 12 years on and off. I haven't enjoyed it for a while and was going to go to college when I became pregnant with dd who was much longed for. I went back into it when she was one as we needed the money. AIBU to think I could try something else now or am I too old at 35? And what can I do now? When I was younger I wanted to be a police officer but had some bad luck with the application. Then I wanted to be a paramedic but got pregnant. Has anyone changed career at this age? What did you do? Thanks x

kerryob Sun 02-Oct-16 01:10:39

You've got another 30 years of work ahead, if you want a change go grab it. It's never too late, will be hard but it will be worth it. Think about what you do enjoy, speak to local colleges & see what they offer.

GuiltyPleasure Sun 02-Oct-16 01:15:41

I was exactly the same age when I completely changed my career. I was on maternity leave with DC2 & was dreading having to return to a job I hated. Saw an advert recruiting Probation Officers. I'd previously worked for the police & through that had come into contact with the service so it sounded interesting. I qualified just over 2 years later & now work as a Probation Officer in a prison & I love it. The training was a bit of a juggle with 2 small children, but absolutely worth it & I was nowhere near the oldest person on my course. There was a complete mix from recent university graduates to people like me older & looking for a career change. Another friend from my days working for the police left after 20+ years & is currently in her 2nd year training to be a midwife. You are definitely not too old OP, if there's something that interests you, go for it.

phillipp Sun 02-Oct-16 07:20:45

I am applying for jobs now for a change of career. I am 34.

Lots of my skills are transferable though.

35 is definitely not too old. Most people change jobs fairly frequently. If you got a new job now and stayed there, the would get 30 years from you. Which is probably more than employers expect to get out of anyone.

I would say start looking into it and give it a go.

slamdunkthefunk Sun 02-Oct-16 07:32:33

I've just moved into finance and started an accountancy qualification. I'm 38.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 02-Oct-16 07:39:39

The police used to have a maximum age, not sure if they still do. Think it used to be 35. But that was 20 years ago so may have gone up.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 02-Oct-16 07:41:11

Sorry, thought you were still wanting to be a police officer when actually it's not that clear. But whatever career you want now then yes make the jump. I changed career in my late 20s and am planning another career change in my mid 40s.

Unicorn1981 Sun 02-Oct-16 07:56:26

Sorry didn't mean to be confusing! I'd love to be one but there were a lot of cuts while my application was going through so I made it to a certain stage in the process then they decided they weren't going to take on any new officers. After that there wasn't a lot of recruiting so I gave up on that. I think I was just saying that I would like to do something quite exciting. I thought about retraining as an electrician after we had one round the other day and I was impressed how they fixed the problem. I think that is my problem- I can't seem to decide on one thing!

Unicorn1981 Sun 02-Oct-16 07:57:25

Or they (the police) were recruiting more from people who were special officers.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 02-Oct-16 07:58:41

You never know they may be recruiting now!

I can't decide what I want to do next either! I need to stay doing what I'm doing now until dd finishes school and then I will change! I have itchy feet.

suchafuss Sun 02-Oct-16 10:24:09

I am 48 and at uni retraining!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now