Advanced search

Would I be unreasonable to leave my daughter sleeping even though I think her arm is broken?

(168 Posts)
user1475350703 Sat 01-Oct-16 20:45:19

Hi my daughter fell off a swing at the park this evening and it hurt she cried for a bit but was then fine. It has swollen a bit and she can't move it properly but she has fallen asleep. Would you wait until tomorrow or wake her up now?

derektheladyhamster Sat 01-Oct-16 20:46:35

Wait until tomorrow

Mimicat44 Sat 01-Oct-16 20:46:54

Are you serious? Take her to hospital now. This is the stupidest question I think I've ever encountered. If she moves in her sleep (which she undoubtably will) it will make it a lot worse!

BingBongBingBong Sat 01-Oct-16 20:46:55

If you really think it's broken of course you shouldn't wait.

witsender Sat 01-Oct-16 20:46:57

Did she hit her head?

Tbh, I would leave her and go tomorrow if still sore. Dd fell in the summer and fractured her wrist as it turns out...we didn't take her for over 24hrs because we couldn't figure out if she had actually done any damage!

imwithspud Sat 01-Oct-16 20:46:57

Take her now, poor thing. She will wake up in terrible pain if it is broken.

Oysterbabe Sat 01-Oct-16 20:47:01

I would have taken her straight to A&E tbh.

Meadows76 Sat 01-Oct-16 20:47:21

Is this a serious post? Surely the not being all to move it properly would have been apparent before she went to sleep!!

summerainbow Sat 01-Oct-16 20:47:38

Trouble is it Saturday night . You wait ages at a and e. She most likely wake up soon in pain as well. You are 8n for long night want ever happens.

Mimicat44 Sat 01-Oct-16 20:47:50

This is considering youve actually said you think her arm is broken!!

witsender Sat 01-Oct-16 20:48:39

If it is a greenstick or buckle fracture, which it sounds like if it isn't misshapen then waiting won't do any harm. They are so common in bendy boned kids. It may well just be sprained or sore anyway.

MaddyHatter Sat 01-Oct-16 20:48:41

if you genuinely think its broken, you ought to take her this evening.

Arfarfanarf Sat 01-Oct-16 20:49:11

If you suspect a break she needs seeing now.

user1475350703 Sat 01-Oct-16 20:50:14

Well, I'm unsure if it's broken or not but it may be and I wasn't sure I'm glad some see where I was coming from

Thanks everyone I might wait and see if she wakes up

witsender Sat 01-Oct-16 20:51:50

Honestly, docs were not phased by our waiting when dd did this. If it is the types I mention above, which I would suspect it is, then it is more like a bend than a true break. If she wasn't in pain earlier she isn't going to wake up in more pain.

Netcurtainrummager Sat 01-Oct-16 20:52:48

I'd ring 111, they might get you a paediatric out of hours appointment which would be better than waitingredients in A&E. They'll tell you whether to go now or tmrw.

Dizzybintess Sat 01-Oct-16 20:52:56

Given how horrific a and even Is on a Saturday if she is asleep Leave her and take her as soon as she wakes.
Even if it's in the middle of the night
Pop a pillow under the arm and watch over her.
Having broken my arms 7 times in total each time I was screaming with pain so if she has managed to sleep it's probably a sprain

Ginmakesitallok Sat 01-Oct-16 20:53:38

What makes you think it's broken? If you think it is then you need to take her to a&e. When dd broke her elbow they initially put it in a half cast and sent us home.(to come back in the morning for an op). Consultant called us just as we'd gotten her into bed to get us to bring her back so she could be observed overnight as they were worried about her circulation.

Don't take the risk , if you think it's broken take her tonight.

Netcurtainrummager Sat 01-Oct-16 20:53:52

^waiting in A&E!

Omgkitties Sat 01-Oct-16 20:53:59

I fractured my heel when I was 13 and didn't get it looked at for a few days as we didn't know if anything was actually wrong. 8 years later and I'm still having trouble with it as we didn't get it looked at quick enough and it didn't get to heel properly.

Take her now.

Bitofacow Sat 01-Oct-16 20:55:54

I thought my ds had just bumped his arm. I waited 2 days. It was a greenstick fracture they advised painkillers an NO bandage or cast. Wait till morning.

AmbivalentGirl Sat 01-Oct-16 20:59:02

Go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department if you think you or your child has broken a bone. If the injury is severe, dial 999 for an ambulance.
If it feels like only a minor fracture and it is not an emergency, it may be more appropriate to go to a minor injuries unit.

Doggity Sat 01-Oct-16 21:02:52

If she's sleeping comfortably and it doesn't look deformed or otherwise concerning, I'd wait until tomorrow. Check it's nice and warm though and do ring NHS 111 for reassurance though, if you're not sure.

usual Sat 01-Oct-16 21:04:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sat 01-Oct-16 21:05:22

You're getting some conflicting advice here. I think I'd go now because A&E will get very busy later / tomorrow morning and that would mean a longer wait in pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now