Does anyone add their childs' teacher on Facebook?

(122 Posts)
tigercub50 Fri 30-Sep-16 23:06:03

I am friends with a lovely TA from a class my DD used to be in but not sure about adding teachers. Also her teacher this year is young & male so guessing I have probably answered my own question lol. Just wanted to start a debate about Facebook generally. It can be such a sensitive thing & I have inadvertently offended people before

FannyFifer Fri 30-Sep-16 23:07:49

I wouldn't think a teacher would accept a FB friend request from a parent, pretty inappropriate.

NicknameUsed Fri 30-Sep-16 23:08:03

No way.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 30-Sep-16 23:08:18

Hell no.

gamerwidow Fri 30-Sep-16 23:09:05

No it's not appropriate and I think any teacher would decline such a request.

mygorgeousmilo Fri 30-Sep-16 23:09:19

No way

kelper Fri 30-Sep-16 23:09:31

DS's teacher last year apparently had all her favourite mums on her fb, I think it would be totally unprofessional to do that tbh.

gallicgirl Fri 30-Sep-16 23:09:43

Absolutely not. Don't put the teacher in that position.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 30-Sep-16 23:10:15

No way. I don't have any staff at the DCs schools even though I know some of them as friends outside school.

Pangur2 Fri 30-Sep-16 23:11:39

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

FasterThanASnakeAndAMongoose Fri 30-Sep-16 23:12:09

I am a teacher and the rules about having parents as facebook friends are very clear - it's a total no-no.

Also, you're not actually friends with this person. Why on earth would you want him as a facebook friend? More to the point, why would he want you as one? Believe it or not, us teachers have private lives which are none of your business.

YWBU to add him and I doubt he'd accept. Don't do it. You'd look weird hmmconfused

idontlikealdi Fri 30-Sep-16 23:12:33

DH is a teacher. He has a fake Facebook name so pupils and parents can't find him.

dillyduck Fri 30-Sep-16 23:13:02

A teacher would not be allowed to add a parent or a child.

PinkyOfPie Fri 30-Sep-16 23:13:28

They'd most likely reject your request anyway. I have a friend who works at DD's nursery who can't accept parents (im an exception as we've been friends for years)

glamourousgranny42 Fri 30-Sep-16 23:15:03

No no no.
I had a students mother on fb but that is because we were friends before teaching their child. I would never become friends of any student or parents on fb.

Giratina Fri 30-Sep-16 23:15:16

I wouldn't add a teacher, no. One of the teachers at DD's school tried to add me to their bloody younique group though hmm.

fanoir Fri 30-Sep-16 23:15:33

Last year there was a note in the school newsletter at my dc's school asking parents not to friend request teachers. It would never occur to me to add them tbh.

PointlessUsername Fri 30-Sep-16 23:16:19

I did have the dc PE teacher, He requested me though and then made a pass at me through messanger hmm

Rumpelstiltskin143 Fri 30-Sep-16 23:16:43

I have a fake name on Facebook too. I'm a teacher. I would never ever friend a parent.

My Facebook is really locked down too.

e1y1 Fri 30-Sep-16 23:16:56

No, should NEVER be done.

My Mum and a friend is a teacher, and they were told ideally they shouldn't have facebook, but they understand this can't be enforced.

Other advice given is, if you must have a Facebook, make up a name/tweak your real name.

Last advice, never, ever, accept a student on Facebook. Open to too much trouble.

imwithspud Fri 30-Sep-16 23:17:19

Definitely not. Why would you?

I have a few friends who are teachers (not my dc teachers) and a lot of them have changed their name on fb to just their first and middle names so it's more difficult for students/parents to find them. They are entitled to a life outside of school. There's no reason for a parent or student to be friends with their teacher on Facebook.

Elphame Fri 30-Sep-16 23:17:34

Absolutely not!

Duckafuck Fri 30-Sep-16 23:18:03

No, they're not allowed to accept because of professional boundaries. It muddies the waters.

SalemSaberhagen Fri 30-Sep-16 23:18:47

I can't have my full name on Facebook for this very reason.

mintybluemoo Fri 30-Sep-16 23:24:24

I'm a teacher and have had a few Facebook requests from parents - I always always ignore.

Aside from being it totally unprofessional and frowned upon by senior management , I don't want all the parents and children knowing about my personal life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now