To be buying Christmas presents already

(29 Posts)
EJsqidge91 Fri 30-Sep-16 18:13:10

I love Christmas, but it super stresses me out if I leave all the buying until November/December. I've had (what I think is) a lovely idea for my sister and her partner (think hamper, but full of personalised bits and bobs that I have seen and put together instead of a professional one), am I crazy to start buying now? Or do others buy early in the year too? Also, my Idea, though I like it, may not be well received if I get things wrong, should I just be thinking of getting a normal pre made one instead? Thanks for your help!

imother Fri 30-Sep-16 18:15:01

Get £10 gift vouchers the week before Christmas.

yorkshapudding Fri 30-Sep-16 18:15:07

I buy Christmas presents throughout the year. It spreads the cost and it means less stress as I don't have any last minute panic shopping to do. I know lots of people who do the same.

Soubriquet Fri 30-Sep-16 18:16:49

Bought my first Christmas present today

An Elsa dress from the short film Frozen Fever. Normally £29.99 down to £12.99. Wasn't going to pass the opportunity for that one

TKRedLemonade Fri 30-Sep-16 18:18:09

There are hundreds of ppl on the Christmas thread who have practically finished all their shopping so no YANBU

TheImprobableGirl Fri 30-Sep-16 18:18:38

<shrugs> I'm pretty much done for all but perishables.... But I'm nuts smile each to their own and all that!

Snafflebrain Fri 30-Sep-16 18:18:56

YANBU. the older I get the earlier I start buying presents and the more I look forward to it instead of it being a last minute headache and chore. Plus it's now only 3 paydays until Christmas so I say go for it. I'd just be careful with any food bits and expiry dates etc.

TheImprobableGirl Fri 30-Sep-16 18:19:16

blush cross post, <sidles back to the Christmas thread>

luckiestgirl Fri 30-Sep-16 18:19:45

Get yourself to the Christmas bargain threads. We're on thread 9. If anything, you're late to the party.

TippiNoodlegruder Fri 30-Sep-16 18:20:12

I'm almost finished. But I have children with birthdays close to Christmas as well so I need to start early or it's impossible.

EJsqidge91 Fri 30-Sep-16 18:21:32

Its the 3 paydays to Christmas bit that stresses me out! M&D and Nana and uncle are getting pre made ones out of a lovely catalogue which I will pay for now but get delivered closer to the time. I just wanted to do something a bit diff for my sis instead of a big Standard one. Thanks for the comments everyone!

EJsqidge91 Fri 30-Sep-16 18:22:53

Dammit, I hate being late to the party!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 30-Sep-16 18:23:02

YANBU. We start getting presents (particularly the DCs) in late September early October then I wrap a few as and when. It's far less stressful.

soundsystem Fri 30-Sep-16 18:23:24

YANBU

I have most of mine bought and some wrapped already blush

CocoLoco87 Fri 30-Sep-16 18:27:22

Bought half my xmas presents online yesterday and the rest from stores today...and wrapped some blush I never do this! Feeling pretty smug organised!

bushtailadventures Fri 30-Sep-16 18:30:59

I bought the presents for children today, next month I will do the adults, then it's just food in December, first time I have ever been this organised.It feels good smile

sausagefest Fri 30-Sep-16 18:31:11

I think you're mad because I don't want to think about it til November, but I'm not a huge Christmas fan at all. Can't be doing with too much consumerism.

You probably think I am mad to do this.

Who cares really. Do what suits you.

mumeeee Fri 30-Sep-16 18:31:43

Not even thinking about Christmas yet.
Only by for neices and nephews and our children

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Fri 30-Sep-16 18:34:17

I started last week when Argos had the 3 for 2 on toys. I've ordered vouchers from Park Hampers (all paid for) and will be using them for the rest of the presents.

Strikingclock Fri 30-Sep-16 18:37:10

I've just bought a few presents and started to write lists/jot down ideas but I have a big family, loads of godchildren and a small office-full to buy for.

In addition to budgetary reasons, I just find it easier to think of interesting and original ideas when I'm calm and not in a rush. My mind goes blank when faced with tight present deadlines. Plus you often come across appropriate presents when browsing on-line for non present items in the normal course of things.

I'm also sewing a few presents so need to get cracking with those.

An early start just makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable plus I loathe buying the generic "gift" borne out of desperation.

oldlaundbooth Fri 30-Sep-16 18:39:37

Just bought a half price Thomas the Tank engine that DS will love.

It's not too early! 🎄🎁

Strikingclock Fri 30-Sep-16 18:41:41

Each to their own but sometimes I think by starting early, budgeting carefully and making a few presents, you can actually counter excessive consumerism a bit ifyswim.

GingerIvy Fri 30-Sep-16 18:52:45

I've already bought a few and tucked them away. Hopefully I won't forget where I put them this year! fgrin

Catsick36 Fri 30-Sep-16 18:53:57

I've been buying since June it's the only way we can afford to do it!

HeCantBeSerious Fri 30-Sep-16 18:54:39

I don't do any Xmas shopping. So I was done years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now