Talk

Advanced search

To think this is a bit odd

(5 Posts)
ThisUsernameIsAvailable Fri 30-Sep-16 14:50:22

Last week I filled in a form online asking for more information about a course I was interested in.
I added my name,email address and contact number.

Yesterday and today I have had Facebook friend requests from 2 people with the name of the people running the course I was interested in, in their Facebook names (if that makes sense) so Simon businessname Andrews (not the name obviously lol)

Is that not a bit odd?
They have searched for me because I gave them a different email address and contact number to the one I use for Facebook

ProseccoBitch Fri 30-Sep-16 14:53:41

I think that's really odd. If I get friend requests from people I don't know I send them a message saying I don't recognise their name and asking how we know each other. They never reply.

HKHKHR Fri 30-Sep-16 21:12:54

So you don't know these people but you do know the company they are involved with (as you applied for a course with it)?

Aren't they just doing what people use Facebook for and looking you up? They probably just want to have a look at your profile to better market their courses towards you.

RunningLulu Sat 01-Oct-16 03:09:39

This is how course providers target their advertising and build their contact base for future business. Nothing strange about it. They usually try LinkedIn first but if you don't have it then they'll search you on fb.

VioletBam Sat 01-Oct-16 03:45:50

It's not odd at all but it's clumsy in terms of marketing. The course manager should have a proper protocol in terms of inviting members to like the course page....not randomly adding them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now