Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to wonder what else I don't know that everyone else does know?

(43 Posts)
ASISAYNOTASIDO Fri 30-Sep-16 00:58:07

Just did that 'putting on s king size duvet cover' hack that I saw recently in here - and am flabbergasted at how easy it is but also left wondering as to the myriad of other things that I should know but bloody don't. Suggestions please as to how to make the rest of my life as easy as putting on a duvet cover.

ItsJustNotRight Fri 30-Sep-16 10:21:45

My two great discoveries rather late in life are using a shower squeegee and Oven Mate for cleaning the oven & woodburner glass. Both are fantastic and have saved hours of scrubbing.

Lapinlapin Fri 30-Sep-16 10:24:32

Ooh, I missed that hack, but really need it! Could you explain the duvet thing please?

PinkBrainsTasteGut Fri 30-Sep-16 10:32:19

Someone will beat me to it but it was baby vests for me. How did I go through so many poo-namis without realising they slid off the baby and didn't have to poop the hair?

Sosidges Fri 30-Sep-16 11:25:46

Nadiya Hussein inspired me, not in the usual way of being a great cook and an excellent role model. I was reading an article she wrote about her mother, who does not do much cooking. "In fact she uses the oven to store all the roasting pans".

My numerous roasting pans,were clogging up a cupboard, falling over every time the door was opened and were only ever used on the rare occasions that all the family descend. I only use my smaller top oven for cooking. so for the last 3 months my big pans have been safely tucked away in my large oven, out of sight and freeing up a cupboard. Never would have thought of that myself.

Soubriquet Fri 30-Sep-16 11:29:42

That taking off the negative stickers (the white stuff surrounding the stickers) can make it easier for a child to peel off the stickers in a sticker book

Saves you having to help every 30 seconds and that dreaded paper rubbing noise

LurkingHusband Fri 30-Sep-16 11:34:31

Ooh, I missed that hack, but really need it! Could you explain the duvet thing please?

Google "burrito duvet" - and watch ...

OP: Have you tried slow-cooker roast chicken ?

BorpBorpBorp Fri 30-Sep-16 11:41:42

YOU CAN MAKE WHITE SAUCE IN THE MICROWAVE. That's my big revelation. No fucking about with a roux.

Avonandice Fri 30-Sep-16 11:43:22

That the firebrigade will fit you a smoke alarm FREE!

SovietKitsch Fri 30-Sep-16 11:45:35

Nadiya's mum did LOADS of cooking, she just only used the hob...

SovietKitsch Fri 30-Sep-16 11:45:44

#pointlesscomment

Sosidges Fri 30-Sep-16 11:55:20

I must have mis-read it. I thought she said her Nan was a great cook.

Lapinlapin Fri 30-Sep-16 14:29:00

Thank you lurking

ASISAYNOTASIDO Fri 30-Sep-16 16:15:59

SAUCE IN THE MICROWAVE. That's my big revelation. No fucking about with a roux. Ah yes my type of cooking - quick n dirty but who's to know the difference. Trying that.
^
Past the nappies and poonami situations but oven tins going in much unloved oven as we speak. It's filthy so it's getting the oven mitt and sqeedgy treatment. - TBH I've only just srarted with the shower squeedgies too - living under a rock here.^

BorpBorpBorp Fri 30-Sep-16 16:35:27

White sauce in the microwave is so easy.

Put milk, butter and any stock/herbs in bowl/jug. Microwave for a few seconds to melt the butter just slightly.
Add flour and whisk. Microwave in 30-45 second bursts, whisking between, until the desired consistency is reached.

That's it. That's all you do. Takes about 3 minutes.

PickachuPurrlease Fri 30-Sep-16 16:42:20

Dishwasher tablet on the oven - changed my life!

Ok a tad dramatic but I hate cleaning the oven.

And the other one is using tumble dryer sheets on blinds and metal towel rails after you have cleaned them (clean blinds with a sheet around a ruler) - prevents dust build up it just bounces off....

ItsJustNotRight Fri 30-Sep-16 17:39:46

Wow no dust on blinds, I might have to buy some tumble sheets, I've never used them. I don't clean the blinds either, they are quite disgusting but will do if they are never going to get dusty again.

Queenbean Fri 30-Sep-16 17:42:22

I was waiting for the poonami avoiding baby best tip smile

Mine isn't ground breaking or anything but buying ready chopped frozen onions has been such a time saver

Fintress Fri 30-Sep-16 19:33:06

Soaking clothes stained by suntan cream in a bucket of Napisan. Wonderful stuff.

Tallulahoola Fri 30-Sep-16 19:39:43

Soubriquet that stickers tip is going to change my life

WhateverWillBe Fri 30-Sep-16 19:43:23

Ditto on the stickers...the amount of time I've wasted just 'starting each one off' by peeling a tiny corner because they want to do it themselves!

PickachuPurrlease Fri 30-Sep-16 22:07:48

The blinds do get dusty, but it takes much longer smile I hate cleaning blinds and it takes seconds with a ruler and a tumble dryer sheet and they stay clean for much much longer

EllieHandMeDownBaby Fri 30-Sep-16 23:40:43

I'm agog at the sticker tip!
Definitely doing that with DD's stickers tomorrow morning!

ASISAYNOTASIDO Sat 01-Oct-16 01:06:05

Wasn't bothered by blinds but deffo on towel rails so the tumble dryer sheets are a go! Love the frozen onions idea - now wondering what else can be frozen that I never realised. This will change my life - oven might get a damn good cleaning shortly as feeling inspired.

ChickenSalad Sat 01-Oct-16 01:11:52

Making a white sauce in a pan is so easy though - why microwave it? Some people do scrambled egg in the microwave but I found that method more faff and the results were not as good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now