Is it wrong for me to tell a white lie to my husband?

(5 Posts)
user1473872482 Thu 29-Sep-16 17:54:56

My daughter is 12 and has been auditioning for a school play at her school which in general finishes at 5pm. Today though she told me that she and her best friend want to go 10 mins down the road from the school to Costa Coffee. I have said to her yes you can go but be back by 5pm at the school. She said yes that is fine. My husband though if I tell him will say no she has to come straight home so I have said to my husband that she is auditioning at the school tomorrow as well until 5pm.

Is this wrong of me? My husband is very over protective.

NapQueen Thu 29-Sep-16 17:57:02

Well lying is never really right is it? But I can see why you would in this instance.

In general though the symptom needs sorting - how long is his iverprotectiveness going to last? Has he and you discussed when dd will be allowed to do stuff?

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Thu 29-Sep-16 17:57:40

It's fine in theory but remember doing this may come back to bite you in the future if she dobs you in to df one day when you want to say no to her! Your dh won't be pleased the 2 of you have been in cahoots behind his back.

EveOnline2016 Thu 29-Sep-16 17:59:23

Does dh always get final say over parental decisions

PotatoBread Thu 29-Sep-16 18:01:15

Surely by lying to your DH your DD will also have to lie to him (by omission anyway by not mentioning where she has been)?

Be careful that she doesn't end up thinking that this kind of behaviour is OK as it could
lead to problems when she's a teenager by lying as to where she's going etc. If it's OK for her mum to lie than it's OK for her to lie, right?

I don't see absolutely anything wrong with letter her go to Costa btw. May be time for a conversation with your DH about cutting the strings a bit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now