Talk

Advanced search

Curriculum linked school trips

(8 Posts)
Chickpeachick0 Thu 29-Sep-16 17:27:45

Aibu to think that if a school promotes a school trip as linked to the topics they are covering in that subject then the trip , for example , castle trip - Norman conquest , Belgian battle field trip - WW1 topic, the trip should be open to all ? ( term time trips ) The letters also state that these trips are always overscribed , so It's names out of a hat . So far we have had 1 successful name pull and 3 no goers . Some children I know have been lucky on all occasions . The latest trip has 60 places for potentially 250 children . Friends at other schools are all offered opportunity if it is curriculum linked trip . School in question is large , but so are all the other local schools who seem to manage .
Cross .

Seekingadvice123 Thu 29-Sep-16 17:40:33

IME GCSE trips that are compulsory or an integral part of a GCSE course are offered to all (eg. fieldwork trips) but others (mainly Key Stage 3) are not simply because it would be difficult to take 200+ kids due to logistics and costs which would be considerable during term time. That said it would spend on where the trip is. Overseas trips with 200+ kids would be ridiculous to organise and staff. Hard enough with 40 or so.

Pangur2 Thu 29-Sep-16 17:43:43

They need a certain teacher to student ratio. You usually don't get paid for going on school trips, so they probably struggle to get enough teachers involved.

Chickpeachick0 Thu 29-Sep-16 17:44:21

Thanks for response .One trip was to a castle , 5 mins from my work - I offered to drop off pick up dd and friends as school had the coach was the issue , but still no . As I mentioned another 2 local schools manage it , so don't see why ours can't . All trips are term time so educational and I think should be open to all .

Pangur2 Thu 29-Sep-16 17:49:17

Ah if it's only down the road that is quite odd. You can run trips like that during the school day. Does your school have enrichment days? If not maybe the head won't pay to cover the teachers on the trip.

whatyouseeiswhatyouget Thu 29-Sep-16 18:04:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chickpeachick0 Thu 29-Sep-16 18:05:06

Think I'm going to email the head. Just looked at the school ebrochure where it shows photos of the curriculum enhancing trips !

AnythingMcAnythingface Thu 29-Sep-16 19:03:13

I definitely think that names out of a hat is a bad idea. Take turns maybe but not names out of a hat, if you said been on 2 missed out on 2 I'd say YABU but 3:1 is a poor ratio

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now