Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours' cat keeps crapping in our garden.

(25 Posts)
DuckingAunts Thu 29-Sep-16 14:52:35

But I completely understand that cats are creatures over which no one has any control. And that, assuming neighbours are at work all day (although even if they're not), there's fuck all they can do about it.

So I intend to not mention it to them at all and just continue to shoo the cat away whenever I catch it in our garden and hope I am scary enough for it not to keep coming back.

AIBU?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Thu 29-Sep-16 14:56:12

Borrow a dog or buy a water pistol and scare the bastard off.

Just shooing won't do a thing.

phillipp Thu 29-Sep-16 15:02:03

We had success with using bark chippings.

A garden company cleared a load of a neighbours pine trees. He ran it through the chipper and gave us the chippings. It kept cats away for a while.

The thing that got rid of them completely, was getting a dog. We don't have any cats in the garden nowgrin

ReginaBlitz Thu 29-Sep-16 15:03:55

Another cat shit post they are getting boring now. You can't do fuck all about it so just kill it.

Gottagetmoving Thu 29-Sep-16 15:08:02

Another cat shit post they are getting boring now. You can't do fuck all about it so just kill it

grin

insancerre Thu 29-Sep-16 15:14:52

Cat shit I can just about cope with

But how do I stop the bastards sitting on our car and trying to climb in any open window in the house?

Trumpette Thu 29-Sep-16 15:21:06

Either get your own cat, although not guaranteed as a deterrent!

However, I find using moths balls (try amazon-Chinese brand especially effective) The smell of them is enough to encourage them to poo elsewhere!

Squaddielife Thu 29-Sep-16 15:24:36

Try Lions Roar - it stopped my cat going in neighbours garden. just sprinkle it all round the garden boundary.
Also keep any grass cut short - they love long grass!
Maybe approach your neighbour to check they have a litter tray down - my cats always come home now for a cr@p and then bugger off again lol.

WeirdAndPissedOff Thu 29-Sep-16 15:24:52

IME having your own cat pretty much guarantees a cat shit free garden!
Or perhaps a feather duster? Ours are terrified of them! And it would work in windows too.

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 29-Sep-16 15:25:33

Pump-action Supersoaker-type water pistol. it doesn't hurt them, but since they don't like being wet it only takes a few "hits" to put them off coming in to your garden.

lalalalyra Thu 29-Sep-16 15:30:07

Water pistol. Or pepper.

My SIL has a hideous motion sensor frog from poundland in her garden and her neighbour's cat is fucking terrified of it!

If the cat has lived there a while and the shitting is new then please do mention it to your neighbour. When my cat started shitting in a neighbours garden I realised it was because he was having trouble getting home in time. He was distressed, but until she mentioned it I didn't know why. He had cancer and her comment made me take him to the vet sooner, which meant he was pts sooner and suffered less.

BlueKarou Thu 29-Sep-16 15:55:35

YANBU

t4nut Thu 29-Sep-16 15:56:58

Hosepipe, water pistol, nerf gun - fire at will.

melibu84 Thu 29-Sep-16 15:57:22

consider it a privilege. you have been chosen :D

PortiaCastis Thu 29-Sep-16 16:00:35

Get a shovel and return the shite to the owner of the crapping moggie

candybar007 Thu 29-Sep-16 16:04:54

Feed it, cats don`t shit where their food is.

JamieLannistersFuckButler Thu 29-Sep-16 16:05:02

I had a couple of raised beds with baby plants in, full of lovely, loose soil IDEAL for crapping in.

After a few turds had been planted I covered the beds with some spare wire shelving and chicken-wire type stuff.

OK it doesn't look pretty, this was a corner of the garden I didn't mind about looking a bit scruffy.

Works for specific areas that you really don't want turning over.

bringbacksideburns Thu 29-Sep-16 16:11:43

I'm trying to determine which cat is shitting in my front garden. It makes me furious because I have two cats!
I've been putting down this Cat repellent by Growing Success which is like garlicky granules but I'm trying to get hold of these gel like crystals called, originally enough, Get Off! which is supposed to be good.
I thought the garlic stuff was working but then it rained and the shit came back.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 29-Sep-16 16:12:05

Chuck any presents back over the fence. When I potter about in the garden I make sure any soil is stomped down, seeing as we have soil with high clay content this seems enough to stop them as I'm assuming they don't like digging in compact hard mud. Also found that long rosemary/lavender
prunings seem to put them off - not sure if it's the smell or if it's prickly in their bum grin

I've got cats (indoor/stay in our yard been like this since we got them from a rescue) so yeah it cheeses me off I have to clean up my cats shite as well as someone else's cats shite angry

hellsbellsmelons Thu 29-Sep-16 16:12:51

I always got the hosepipe out when I could see next doors cats trying to crap in my garden.
Drove me insane.
But it works, in the short-term anyway.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 29-Sep-16 16:13:57

Almost forgot, I noticed when I put down crushed egg shells around plants to stop the slugs that there wasn't cat poo there after either. Not sure if coincidence or if it's sharp on their paws?

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 29-Sep-16 17:16:39

Lots of holly leaves or mahonia leaves can work well, they will hurt too much to be good for scratching in. Pouring a bucket of water over the cat can put them off, but it's hard to do that as they may run away first.

You can buy various deterrents like pepper and gel grains, but it gets expensive. I'm sometimes tempted to give the receipts to the neighbour and ask for a refund. We also have a laser deterrent which is partly successful.

You'd get a £100 fine here if your dog pooed on the pavement. It should be the same for cats in gardens.

If cat owners can't prevent it, they should keep it inside or have it pts.

GROWLEY Sat 01-Oct-16 10:00:26

Learn how to speak cat. And politely ask it to stop shitting on your garden. 👍

QuiteLikely5 Sat 01-Oct-16 10:05:27

Eurghh I would seriously be pissed off about this!

Have a friends dog over for a couple of hours or so to lays it's scent in your garden and see if it helps

Wolpertinger Sat 01-Oct-16 10:36:59

Spray cat with water or put pointy sticks in its favourite loo zone. Or both.

Better solution - get your own cat. Cats are ace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now