Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think a 3 1/2 yr old should be able to sit through a short film at the cinema?

(18 Posts)
YoJesse Thu 29-Sep-16 11:46:46

Mine, he's mine and I thought toddler cinema would be a treat as we're out of the sticks for the day but it's a fucking nightmare! All the other kids look about the same age and are sitting angelically enjoying the film. He can't sit still for more than about 30seconds ever (why did I think this was a good idea) and is running up and down the isle or just fidgeting, standing next to me. I know that's the point of toddler cinema that they can act up a bit but really I'm starting to think it's not normal.
He's had various speech and other therapy and no one is worried about ASD so what's wrong with him?

And yep, I'm the shit mum who's now mnetting instead of trying to get him to sit down! grin

cudbywestrangers Thu 29-Sep-16 11:50:03

I haven't dared try the cinema with mine!!! Might be OK if it was a thomas the tank film and he was in the right mood but not sure I want to risk it yet so you're braver than me!

Jenniferturkington Thu 29-Sep-16 11:50:21

My dd (4 in a couple of weeks) has never sat through an entire film at home (and there's no way I would attempt it at the cinema) so quite normal I think.

I feel your pain though, we could've done with her sitting still on recents long haul flights!

Every1lovesPatsy Thu 29-Sep-16 11:51:49

No YABU

MrsBellefleur Thu 29-Sep-16 11:51:58

My 3 and a half year old has not been to the cinema yet. As above she won't sit still and watch a film at home, no chance in an exciting new venue with lots of things to explore!

Every1lovesPatsy Thu 29-Sep-16 11:52:35

lols...don't worry about it, to be expected at toddler movie morning.

eyebrowsonfleek Thu 29-Sep-16 11:53:50

If its less than an hour and a character that he likes yanbu.

Personally I think that ability to sit through a long film is a sign of the child watching too much tv/screens at home wink

michy27 Thu 29-Sep-16 11:56:29

I took the little boy (age two) I Nanny for to the cinema as a treat with his sister who is five. He was really good and sat through the film! I was very surprised!

YoJesse Thu 29-Sep-16 12:00:16

It was short and it's finished. He couldn't sit still for a full minute but then the film was boring. Why is he always the only one?

He made us go to the toilet 3 times for a poo that never materialised. A waste of £3

kelper Thu 29-Sep-16 12:02:37

My 9 year old can't sit still through a film at the cinema, I feel like I'm the only one as well. All though he also hates the loudness and the dark of the cinema so we don't bother going, but I tried several times, and always left feeling like a rubbish parent who couldn't keep their child quiet (He would cry during the film and we'd have to leave), so you have my sympathies OP

bumsexatthebingo Thu 29-Sep-16 13:03:02

If you're letting him run around that's why he's doing it. Explain to him next time that other people will be trying to enjoy the film and if he's running around you'll have to leave and see if he still wants to go. If he doesn't then take him to the park instead. Not all kids like the cinema.
If he says he wants to go but won't sit down then leave and try again when he's a bit older. It's really not fair to the other people who have paid to see the film to allow him to disturb it.

9oclockinthemorning Thu 29-Sep-16 13:10:49

YABU, he's still very young to to sitting still. It's normal for his age to be moving lots. Take him to the park instead!

SomethingAboutNothing Thu 29-Sep-16 13:11:51

Took my 4yo DS to see Finding Dory the other day, he couldn't sit still either. Lots of standing, moving to another chair etc. Thankfully cinema was almost empty and I purposely sat away from anyone else so he didn't bother others. They aren't designed to stay still at that age.

FinallyHere Thu 29-Sep-16 13:17:38

Well, I'm 56 and hate sitting still, but then i do get to avoid the cinema. Just sayin'

bumsexatthebingo Thu 29-Sep-16 13:19:15

Also I think he toddler showings are to get kids used to the cinema so you expect a few more toilet trips and maybe the odd upset child but not parents just letting their child use the place as a play area. How is that teaching kids how to behave in a cinema?

Thumbcat Thu 29-Sep-16 13:21:06

Mine wouldn't have at that age. I think he was 5 before we attempted it and even then with plenty of pick n' mix.

lalaloopyhead Thu 29-Sep-16 13:23:30

I think every child is different, but if he can't sit still for that long at how that should have been a good indicator. My youngest was 5 before I considered taking her to the cinema as she just wasn't interested in sitting through a whole film at home and I didn't want to waste the money!

GinGinGin Thu 29-Sep-16 13:27:16

Lots and lots of snacks is the key! Doesn't need to be sweets or anything like that but just lots of it for distraction

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now