Talk

Advanced search

To think this situation from a recent ITV Parking wars is flippin ridiculous!

(26 Posts)
wasonthelist Tue 27-Sep-16 21:19:33

A woman had bought a pay and display ticket, but it had fallen on to her seat and couldn't be seen. The appeals lady said her hands were tied - appeal disallowed. Felt very sorry for the woman who, like me, thought that as she had paid for a ticket (and had the ticket to prove it) and not overstayed her appeal would be allowed.

Perfectlypurple Tue 27-Sep-16 21:23:43

You are invited to park if you pay the fee and display your ticket. If you don't do this then you haven't done what is required. I do have sympathy but it will say the ticket must be displayed.

Leopard12 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:38:06

I know someone who this happened to but they were let off after sending a photo of the ticket to the company straight away so obviously depends on where you are! I'm sure the poor women will double check in future!

JettyBetty Tue 27-Sep-16 21:56:53

Yup... Pay and Display. The clue is in the name

Although I appealed a fine once when my ticket blew onto the floor and the fine was rescinded

wasonthelist Tue 27-Sep-16 22:06:42

But why not allow the appeal? It was a genuine unfortunate occurence - and how many people would buy a ticket and deliberately not display it? It had just dropped off the screen. It seems really daft not to allow an appeal for that just because "rules is rules" it can't be that common and there's no scam angle.

BarbarianMum Tue 27-Sep-16 22:20:02

I agree OP. It seems petty.

NinaSimoneful Tue 27-Sep-16 22:23:49

Seems a bit silly there isn't a little clear pouch right beside where you put your tax disc and insurance info for displaying a parking ticket.

Palomb Tue 27-Sep-16 22:26:43

Tax disk?

I had this scenario and they let me off when I sent them the ticket.

Tiredmumno1 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:28:45

This happened to us once, it was a really windy day, the wind must have blown the ticket upside down, we got a ticket. We appealed and sent in the ticket explained what had happened. We got it overturned, they just said to be more careful in future and double check before leaving the car. Which I always do now.

malmi Tue 27-Sep-16 22:29:00

Same reason you have to show your actual ticket on the train. Submitting one after the fact doesn't prove you bought it or that you were the only one who used it.

It's pretty easy to cadge a ticket off someone leaving the car park. There's your scam angle.

Johnny5isAlive Tue 27-Sep-16 22:30:53

The issue with that appeal is that you could share the ticket with someone else.
So not get a ticket/leave an old ticket on your seat. If you've been ticked then just ask a kind car park neighbour car if you could have/buy their ticket for the appeal

Tiredmumno1 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:32:51

I guess I can see it from that point of view, I wonder if that does happen and how often?

Very glad they believed us then, there was no scam honest, just awful wind grin

pieceofpurplesky Tue 27-Sep-16 22:41:20

I am being hauled before the small claims court for the same thing - helping my disabled mum out of car in vile weather the ticket blew to the side. Apparently it's no excuse that it blew whilst opening the door to get my mum in the wheelchair and hurrying to get her out of the rain hmm

Arfarfanarf Tue 27-Sep-16 22:42:17

You can buy plastic pay and display ticket holders for two quid. Solves the problem completely.

wasonthelist Tue 27-Sep-16 22:42:35

I'm not buying the scam angle here. For the "scam" to work I have to (having got a penalty notice), approach people returning to their cars until one agrees to give me their ticket and ensure it has enough time remaining to cover the time when I was ticketed then go to the bother of appealing. No-one's going to be retiring to Acopulco on the proceeds of that.

Arfarfanarf Tue 27-Sep-16 22:43:25

Xpost piece. That's awful. Hope you win.

Oldraver Tue 27-Sep-16 22:46:09

I was let off once when I explained mine had fallen off the dashboard.... I think the tickets that have stickers on are much better but most now dont seem to have them and my dashboard is curved and slippy.

I do the phone thing now ...much better

PinkyOfPie Tue 27-Sep-16 22:48:52

I got a ticket for this once, was in a hurry and chucked it on the dashboard which I didn't see slip off. I didn't think to appeal I just paid it, it was my fault after all! Learnt my lesson though and always check when I lock the car now

PinkyOfPie Tue 27-Sep-16 22:51:49

The appeals process seems inconsistent mind doesn't it? I once got a ticket for being 15 minutes over, DD had fallen and cut her face. I sent them pictures and also a receipt from the nearby pharmacy for plasters and germolene, explained how DD is a very sensitive child and took a lot of consoling to calm her down to the point where she would walk back to the car with me

Not enough evidence apparently. Wankers

malmi Wed 28-Sep-16 10:55:28

The 'scam' isn't intended to make you any money, it's just to get you out of paying the parking fine, and the two steps to undertake it are very simple, as you described.

"I know it's cheeky but please could I have your ticket? I haven't got any change for the machine and I only need 2 minutes to pop into Sainsbury's but they're like hawks round here...." (That would work on me, every time!)

witsender Wed 28-Sep-16 11:48:54

Part of the issue is that there has been a cost associated with issuing the ticket and dealing with an appeal, so if you don't display a ticket as you should, the car park owner then has the admin cost of chasing you.

dollylucy Wed 28-Sep-16 11:52:37

Westminster- I successfully appealed as ticket had blown over.

TippiNoodlegruder Wed 28-Sep-16 11:53:16

Husband appealed when this happened to him and they let him off. Just depends who you get on the day I guess!

RandyMagnum Wed 28-Sep-16 11:55:10

How hard is it to look through your windscreen after you've locked the car to check your ticket is still visible, it's what I've done ever since I started driving.

problembottom Wed 28-Sep-16 12:20:25

This happened to me with a permit for a street I'd just moved into. It was a tiny bit of paper, given to me without a pouch, which must have moved when I closed the door. It remained on the dashboard but right at the bottom so you couldn't see it from the front and centre of the car. You could from all other angles annoyingly. I was fined and my appeal was rejected, earned a pittance at the time so it was a lot of money to me. Thanks Hull City Council!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now