Talk

Advanced search

MIL a bit delusional

(14 Posts)
moogoom Tue 27-Sep-16 18:56:12

Here's a MIL story grin
Recently been camping together with the grandparents. Every time the kids called me by saying "mum", she answered them "yes dear". MIL offers her opinion on how "her kids" - meaning mine, should grow up. These are examples of the way she references them.
I ignore all this as she is only person who babysits for me, as i dont have any other family. She doesnt look after them often, maybe one night a month. On the phone she asks after them by calling them "my kids". I find it worrying but dont rock the boat as i am happy kids have some family as i dont have my parents. I also dont like being petty.
Whats your thoughts?

JellyBelli Tue 27-Sep-16 18:57:47

Thats weird and creepy. What do her kids think?

moogoom Tue 27-Sep-16 19:00:19

Haha her kids. Well the kids dont seem bothered and just correct her. Which i should really. Its just that it happens so often you would think maybe not slip of tongue or regression back to motherhood days

Lovewineandchocs Tue 27-Sep-16 19:02:31

So your kids said "Mum," she said "yes dear." What happened then? Didn't your kids laugh at her? This would drive me nuts, I'd have had to say something, even laugh loudly and say "they're talking to me, you're their granny, did you forget?"

sentia Tue 27-Sep-16 19:03:39

I doubt it's an accident. Does she have much in her life other than family?

Lovewineandchocs Tue 27-Sep-16 19:03:59

Obviously there's more to it, although that is bad enough. Does she act like she thinks she's their mum re parenting decisions, pushing your wishes aside etc?

JellyBelli Tue 27-Sep-16 19:04:01

I reckon if it comes to a show down, you should suggest standing 60 feet apart, you both call them to you with a Jaffa cake, and see who they go to. But if you do say that, expect to be cut out of her will. grin

moogoom Tue 27-Sep-16 19:07:09

I think i will have to pick her up on it each time until she stops. I worry as she wanted a kid when she turned 50 and i had my first then. I have this feeling she thinks she is having second time around motherhood as she had her kids very young and didnt cope very well

moogoom Tue 27-Sep-16 19:08:18

Jellybelli ha that would be so worth it!

moogoom Tue 27-Sep-16 19:10:15

To be fair she doesnt have any views that are much different than mine but i have had to verbally knock her back previously for thinking she had more of a say on how they are brought up.

CocoLoco87 Tue 27-Sep-16 19:44:37

What does your DH think? Can he have a word with her and point out that they aren't her children?

NavyandWhite Tue 27-Sep-16 19:48:24

That's weird. I would pull her.

" you're grandma smile " and keep saying it.

MyNameWasAlreadyTaken Tue 27-Sep-16 20:00:19

I'd say 'oh sorry, they were after me, their mother, hence them shouting mum!'

moogoom Tue 27-Sep-16 20:12:02

He says to not rock the boat as we need her for support but he wants to move away as both gparents are a bit odd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now