Talk

Advanced search

Gas

(9 Posts)
Funko Tue 27-Sep-16 18:48:56

There may well be a more appropriate place for this but I am posting for traffic and perhaps I am in fact being suspicious unreasonable.

If anyone in the gas trade has thoughts, massively welcome!

I am in a private rented home with atrocious letting agents however they only manage to a degree and the landlord generally uses his own people to deal with issues with the property.

On the two previous gas safety checks the boiler has been flagged has having corrosion. Most recent check now renders boiler as needing to be not used and should be replaced. It was switched off and I've had to sign forms etc stating this. The gas contractor in question is reputable and the agents appointed as Lanlord usual contractors were away. So I have no hot water or heating (heating not currently an issue)
Landlord fannys around for several days and today I have been told his own contractor will be coming out to repair the boiler. Which first contractor says is not repairable due to type and age.

I am MEGA suspicious and massively uncomfortable.

Apart from the blatantly obvious health and safety aspect... Is it even ethical that one contractor would go against the official advise of another?? Unless being called out in a complaint capacity?

I've called gas safe with my general outline and all they've said is that if they do say something different I should make an official complaint to them.

That also puts me in a tight spot as it will a) cause issues for either one of the contractors and b) what are the chances of the landlord putting me in a spot and serving me notice as pay back.

I'm quite prepared to make a complaint and will do but I'm concerned about all aspects and any come back I get. I really can't afford to move not do I want to despite the fact the agents/landlord are a pain in the Arse.

Hmmph

Pettywoman Tue 27-Sep-16 18:58:34

Don't know but bumping for you.

manyathingyouknow Tue 27-Sep-16 19:00:11

If he served you a notice to
Leave he'd be doing you a favour and potentially saving your life. Boilers aren't to be fucked about with. Id be looking for something else if my landlord were as indifferent to my health and safety

JellyBelli Tue 27-Sep-16 19:00:37

Contact your local environmental Health department and they can explain ti to your landlord.

specialsubject Tue 27-Sep-16 19:36:09

I have had wild differences of opinion between gas safe techs - which is quite worrying!

Your point b has been outlawed btw. You cannot be evicted if there is a conplaint outstanding with environmental health.

Funko Tue 27-Sep-16 19:43:22

Well I don't think I am being unreasonable grin

I am a superb tenant and 98% of everything else is fine. I do have major issues with his own contractors though as they appear to be v v v cheap labour and not the brightest bulbs in the box. I've all but banned one from carrying out work here as I believe he is a liability.

I shall be very very very observant when his contractor arrives tomorrow, super interest in everything he's doing and taking copious notes and maybe a recording

1 merest hint of incompetence or blatantly trying to save the landlord a few quid and I will be back on to gas safe (incidentally i was pointed there from the HSE website). I've got all my tenants laws/rights noted too for a strongly worded letter.
I honestly hope this is not as dodgy as it all sounds!

mineofuselessinformation Tue 27-Sep-16 19:47:10

You would be perfectly within your rights to ask to see the gas safety certificate to state the boiler is safe to use - let him get on with the repair and ask when he is done. His reaction will let you know if it's a bodge job (because if he issued a certificate and it isn't safe, he's putting his registration and therefore his job on the line).

specialsubject Tue 27-Sep-16 20:17:43

..and feel free to ask for id and check registration. No real gas safe tech will object.

Funko Tue 27-Sep-16 22:05:30

I shall be getting all information available 😄

Thanks, I didn't think I was being over the top.
It could be a series of piss poor communication which given history and experience with the appalling agents could be possible! and the landlord simply wants to get more quotes (fair enough!), however the implication from the agents that he's sending his own contractor to repair the apparently not repairable gas appliance is frightening indeed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now