Talk

Advanced search

Trapped bird

(18 Posts)
Biscuitsneeded Mon 26-Sep-16 18:04:51

Our next door neighbour is a bit of an oddball. Doesn't talk to anyone else on the street, generally a little grumpy but not troublesome. Her house needs a bit of TLC (not judging, so does ours!) and she tends to only act when things get urgent. She does like gardening and she has a cherry tree with a net over it to stop birds getting at the cherries. It abuts our fence. She hasn't maintained this net very well, so it now has a couple of small holes in it, and somehow a bird has found its way in and is now trapped inside, flapping about in a distressed way. It clearly can't find the way out. I've tried knocking on her door but she either genuinely isn't there (although her car is there and I've never seen her walk or cycle!) or she's avoiding answering the door. So I've put a note through. WIBU to wait another hour or so and then if the bird is still trapped, to cut the net from my side of the fence so the bird can escape? I think if you're going to have a net you should maintain it so that wildlife isn't harmed. But she already doesn't like us since we quite legitimately objected to her planning application to build a bungalow in her garden, so I suspect she will be furious if I cut her net. But I'm not leaving the bird trapped overnight...

Honeybadger01 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:09:47

I would cut the net now, the bird will be very stressed and the longer it is left the worse it will be.

myownprivateidaho Mon 26-Sep-16 18:28:13

Yeah, I'd just cut it. The net is holey anyway. She might not like it but yes of course it's her fault.

TVStanding Mon 26-Sep-16 18:35:58

You sound very lovely to want to help.

I also think you should cut the netting on your side. You will probably need to make a decent sized hole and maybe hold the edges apart with sticks or something.

When the bird is out you can sew the netting back up and she will never know!

Let us know how you get on - the poor thing must be very stressed.

Good luck

BeauHeaux Mon 26-Sep-16 18:39:22

I would cut the net immediately. She probably won't even notice.

Soubriquet Mon 26-Sep-16 18:40:59

The longer you leave it the more risk to the bird

They don't do well when stressed and can die of shock

All that flapping could risk a wing too

Cut the net

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:42:22

voting to cutting the net now!

thecatneuterer Mon 26-Sep-16 18:45:52

Cut it now.

Janey50 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:52:05

Yes cut the net ASAP. If she gets the ache about it,I would calmly explain that you had tried to alert her to it but to no avail,so you really had no choice. Everyone has a responsibility not to let wildlife suffer. You were just doing the right thing. What would be the worst she could do? Report it to the police? I really don't think they would be interested. Good luck OP,you sound lovely for wanting to help.

BedknobsandBullhooks Mon 26-Sep-16 18:59:48

I too would cut it. As PP said, birds die of shock easily.

Biscuitsneeded Mon 26-Sep-16 19:00:42

I've cut quite a decent sized hole on my side but the bird doesn't seem to be able to find it. And it's getting dark now... I've come indoors for a few minutes to give it a chance to come out without me hanging around.. really hope it does. Otherwise I will have done this for nothing and more birds will just find their way in and get trapped tomorrow. I will fix the netting but I leave the house at 6.30 am in the dark tomorrow and won't be back till late so I can't do it before Wednesday..

thecatneuterer Mon 26-Sep-16 19:26:07

Can't you just rip the fuck out of the thing? Pull it off the tree? Or something?

Biscuitsneeded Mon 26-Sep-16 19:29:19

Update: I think it worked. Just in time too as it's pretty much dark now! I went back out and there was no sign of the bird. I guess it could have been lying exhausted somewhere but I waited a couple of minutes and couldn't hear/see it, so I am 99% certain it's escaped. I've patched the hole with clothes pegs for now and put another note through the door saying I will put a new net over that part on Wednesday (although really I think she should replace the whole thing...). Hopefully the bird is OK, anyway.

thecatneuterer Mon 26-Sep-16 19:30:22

Well done. Don't offer a replacement. It's not your fault a bird was trapped so I don't think it's your responsibility to replace it.

BeauHeaux Mon 26-Sep-16 19:31:23

The net clearly isn't fit for purpose at this stage anyway.....could it be pulled off?

BeauHeaux Mon 26-Sep-16 19:32:49

Cross post. Well done!

Biscuitsneeded Mon 26-Sep-16 19:34:48

It's quite a large thing. I don't think I could get it all off from my side, as I had to stand on a step to get high enough above the fence to cut a hole.. Anyway, if she's in any way decent she will now say not to worry about the net and fit a new one herself. If she doesn't, well, I knew she was odd...

thecatneuterer Tue 27-Sep-16 14:31:42

Any update? Have the neighbours said anything? You haven't really offered to buy a new one have you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now