Talk

Advanced search

to be conned out of my plastic £5 note.

(18 Posts)
birdladyfromhomealone Sun 25-Sep-16 21:28:30

On Thursday I got one of the new plastic £5 notes from my bank, later that evening we were in a bar and my DH husband pulls it out of his wallet and the guy next to us goes " mate can I change my change for your plastic fiver, I want it for my GD memory box"
So we gladly hand it over no problem as we were going to by the drinks with it any ways.
So today I hear the new plastic £5 are being sold on ebay for £800 sad I wish I had known, thats a lot of pints we lost out on lol

Coconutty Sun 25-Sep-16 21:30:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TroysMammy Sun 25-Sep-16 21:30:23

Don't worry about it Ebay is full of chancers and idiots. I've seen £2 coins for sale at 99p.

SpidersFromMars Sun 25-Sep-16 21:31:47

It's the first printed - those with 0000001 reference numbers.

Scribblegirl Sun 25-Sep-16 21:31:49

I wouldn't worry about the eBay thing - that's only for those with really early serial numbers (AA01... Etc) I got one from a cash point on Thursday and was immediately disappointed when it was AD51...

That said you can totally be fucked off about being conned out of a fiver! I'd be fuming angry, that's a large white wine in a wetherspoons, at least

MrSlant Sun 25-Sep-16 21:32:11

Only a few VERY specific new plastic fivers are going for a couple of hundred quid and I doubt the man had the eyesight to spot the serial number for one of the earliest ones unless he had it right up in his face. I got very excited about my first one. And my second. I'm keeping them for now but realise this could become an issue if I don't start to let go of them grin.

Floggingmolly Sun 25-Sep-16 21:32:19

Are they shortly to become legal tender? What imbecile would pay more than face value for a five pound note that in circulation? Have I missed something? confused

Scribblegirl Sun 25-Sep-16 21:33:12

Oh hang on, I missed that you got coins for it instead. Phew!!!

He may well have been genuine OP, I wouldn't assume it was a con. I'm clinging onto mine for the future (DP has jokingly referred to it as my pension...)

MarklahMarklah Sun 25-Sep-16 21:33:59

They already are legal tender. I've had no problem using them. I think they're horrible though.

Oysterbabe Sun 25-Sep-16 21:35:04

Nah they're going for more like £15 and need to have the AA bar code.

MephistoMarley Sun 25-Sep-16 21:38:47

Are they all going to be plastic eventually? I got one today and it's bloody weird

WhateverWillBe Sun 25-Sep-16 21:47:43

I have a friend who sold one yesterday on Ebay for just shy of £300.00. So far the payment's gone through fine and the buyer has something like 250 previous feedbacks so seems very genuine.

So it is happening but you need to be really, really lucky to find one with an early serial code.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sun 25-Sep-16 21:51:06

Just cut to the chase.

You've no need to be embarrassed and he's no need to be worried about you. You've overcome a stage in a relationship. Some people are a bit shy about these things but seriously, move on.

HateSummer Sun 25-Sep-16 21:54:21

My dh has an AA barcode one. He woke me up this morning to show me it 🙄. it's just a fiver. They'll be normal in a few months time once they're in circulation.

iklboo Sun 25-Sep-16 21:55:03

Wrong thread Enrique? grin

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 25-Sep-16 21:55:31

I'm going to hold onto an old one along with my old heavy 50p.

Czerny88 Sun 25-Sep-16 22:03:14

Enrique Were you looking for the thread about periods by any chance?! grin

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sun 25-Sep-16 22:30:11

Oops. Yes blush Sorry. Two tabs open.

I've not even seen a new fiver yet.

As you were.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now