AIBU to want to shave my whole body daily?

(44 Posts)
Rosamund1 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:47:09

Ok, tmi but here goes. Normally my plan is to use hair remover cream once a week on my legs, underarms and bits on the edges of a swimming costume. I plan to have eyebrows threaded once a fortnight.

What actually happens is that I say to myself 'it's too cold in the bathroom to stand still with all that gunk on me, and it's probably toxic', then I wear tights to work and shave underarms with a normal razor and don't go swimming. Eyebrows every couple of months.

As part of the new more put together me, I'm thinking I should just shave my legs and underarms in the morning daily in the shower. And why stop there, I would shave the peach fuzz off my arms, and back of my neck and I might as well do my moustache, and stray nipple hairs, and side burns too.

I know I sound like some sort of yeti, but actually I'm not that hairy, I don't have a monobrow or back hair or anything like that.

Is the proposed new regime too extreme?

dementedpixie Sun 25-Sep-16 20:49:12

Yes it's extreme. I shave legs and pits once a week and that does me. I get eyebrows waxed every month or two. I sometimes shave my big toes too...just call me frodo!

Silvercatowner Sun 25-Sep-16 20:50:37

One of the benefits of winter for me is that I don't have to shave my legs. Yes, this sounds extreme to me but it's not my body getting shaved.

KayTee87 Sun 25-Sep-16 20:50:57

Way too extreme - please do not shave your face!!

I shave my legs and bikini line once a week and arm pits every few days. Pluck my eyebrows every couple of weeks.

YorkieDorkie Sun 25-Sep-16 20:51:04

As a person who waxes people for a living... Just wax.

dybil Sun 25-Sep-16 20:51:44

That sounds really extreme and would likely be terrible for your skin.

sentia Sun 25-Sep-16 20:54:13

It's your hair, do what you like. Just do it to make yourself happy rather than to please other people.

StillMedusa Sun 25-Sep-16 20:54:39

I do my legs and armpits daily in the shower... takes all of 3 mins tops. I don't need to shave my face (yet!!!) tho.
I tidy bikini line up once a month with clippers ... sorted!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 25-Sep-16 20:54:40

It would take ages, cost you a fortune in razor blades/shaving gel/hot water and you'd be likely to do yourself an injury.

DH's barber told him he can always tell which men shave in the shower instead of using a mirror as their sideburns are never level.

gttob Sun 25-Sep-16 21:00:37

I shave legs armpits and bikini line daily.

Takes a few minutes, then moisture

Penhacked Sun 25-Sep-16 21:04:17

Well I do legs, armpits and bikini line daily in the shower with a razor and it takes me less than two minutes to keep on top of it all and that way you always feel hairless! I don't do arms because for me, I prefer arm hair in situ. I pluck brows every few days too, just pulling strays as I go. I find doing that regularly and quickly a lot easier than making appointments for waxes and whatnot and means I am always smooth. Don't see the point of being lovely for one day and then having to wait for it all to grow back before waxing again. It's like cleaning the bathroom sink, do it daily and it hardly needs doing.

Penhacked Sun 25-Sep-16 21:05:17

Doesn't cost a fortune in razors. Mine easily lasts me a month if I shave daily like that as there is not much hair to shave really if you do it that regularly.

formerbabe Sun 25-Sep-16 21:07:41

I do armpits every other day.
I used to shave my legs daily...it made my skin very dry. I epilate now which lasts much longer.

ChickenVindaloo Sun 25-Sep-16 21:52:33

It's fine to shave your face - is good exfoliation actually.

Why don't you consider investing in an at home IPL machine? Like Boots Smooth Skin or Philips Lumea. Or if money is an issue but you're a hard-ass, why not epilate? Both will much longer lasting results than shaving or hair removal cream.

MoonStar07 Sun 25-Sep-16 21:54:53

Have you considered laser hair removal?

Rosamund1 Sun 25-Sep-16 21:59:22

I can't take pain, so I don't think epilating will work for me. I can't even stand the pain of plucking eyebrows myself. Waxing is about £45 for brows, full leg and underarm where I live and that £500 per year is needed elsewhere. I scar very easily and have darker skin and was advised that the laser light thing may cause scarring, apart from the cost.

Rosamund1 Sun 25-Sep-16 22:01:58

I've seen someone with scars from laser hair removal, it looked like freckles or stubble all on her legs, I don't want that especially as I've been warned.

CoolCarrie Sun 25-Sep-16 22:13:29

Beauty colleges often offer cheaper waxing etc to allow the students to practice, under supervision, on clients, so have a look if there are any in your area. Please DON'T shave anywhere on your face! I did and it has taken me years & years, and loads of money to sort that huge mistake out. The cost to me in confidence was unmeasurable!

Palomb Sun 25-Sep-16 22:14:56

Buy yourself a lumea, problem solved.

MoonStar07 Sun 25-Sep-16 22:15:02

I had it and no scars. I don't know anyone with scars and know loads of people who've had it: you need to go somewhere reputable with high quality machines

CoolCarrie Sun 25-Sep-16 22:15:08

Definitely don't do lasers if your skin is dark as it won't work & will scar for certain.

Rosamund1 Sun 25-Sep-16 22:16:38

shock what happened cool Carrie? The beauty colleges don't fit around my work hours, but that's a good idea too.

CoolCarrie Sun 25-Sep-16 22:23:47

I use an epliator on body hair before bed, maybe once a month, then in the morning use body lotion on the bits treated, then the next night use my Lumea over those bits. I do get my eyebrows, top lip and chin threaded as I haven't quite got the nerve to use the epliator on my top lip!

threemoregoals Sun 25-Sep-16 22:23:46

I had laser - at my local hospital by a dr. They have a private clinic. It hurt like hell, but now I have hardly any body hair. But I still shave my legs about once a week to get rid the fine blonde ones.
I get my face/eyebrows threaded about every 10 days.
I wasn't very hairy before, but I really think it looks better and feels nicer with none.

CoolCarrie Sun 25-Sep-16 22:35:09

It wasn't me who had a scar, but a woman I worked with. She was an Indian lady and it as her underarms which were scarred, not really badly but enough for her not to continue with the laser treatment. It only seems to work on people with light skin and dark hair as it is to do with the lasers wave length. Lumeas also don't seem to work on dark skin, it does tellyou in the box which skin and hair colours it can work on. They are expensive, so please check that it is suitable for your skin if you are thinking about buying one. If you take a painkiller before using an epliator it makes a big difference, I wish so much I bought one years & years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now